An album/record you want to listen to alone?

Ted- Here are a couple to find for your daughter.

London_Symphony_Orchestra_vol_1.jpg

live-in-concert-with-the-edmonton-symphony-orchestra-54b346f8105a8.jpg

Great share:thumbsup:...potential looks good as well.

Thanks.

Q

What gets weird is a guest not used to critical listening, trying to sit still and listen.

Not weird... another sign on the times.

There was an informative thread just a bit back in the "movie" forum wherein a fair number of members shared their opinions on how/why a lot of people today, esp a lot of the younger set have been in so many ways live such a stimulated life style wherein they tend to crave change and constant input to the point that they can't focus.

So, it is yet another skill that I think has to be fostered and even taught in this fast moving world of change.

Could this be a mind set/mental ability that goes with being a die hard audiophile?:D

Q

Last edited:
My wife has zero tolerance for the Stones, unfortunately. The Stones and I, thus, are always alone together.

I can't think of too many that I feel I must listen to by myself, though. Some albums are definitely more interesting or pleasurable as headphone listening, e.g., for me, Loveless, the white album, Revolver.

All of them!

I'm another who can only listen alone, if others are in the room it's just background

I like listening alone especially when its an album that's new to me. I also like listening with others as long as they WANT to sit and listen.
As far as albums I like to listen too alone
Elton John-Madman across the water
Peter Gabriel- SO,US,Passion
Simon & Garfunkel- Bookends
Massive attack- Mezzanine
Jethro Tull- Aqualung
And a lot more!

To clarify...does all this aspect of "isolated listening" hold true for the concert experience where at times it's full of comments/screams/and meyham?

Just shak'n the tree, eh?

Q

I only go to small venue concerts now. People tend to be more respectful of the performing artist than in a huge arena. I don't go to many live shows anymore, but when I go it's to enjoy the music. What is really getting distracting are all these people holding up their cellphones to film parts of the concert. One guy just stood up and held his phone out for a whole song and blocked everyone's view behind him.

I like to experience the group and music live, but I'm more comfortable and feel like I can enjoy the music more at home. Plus, if I want a snack or have to go to the can, I can stop the music until I'm back in position.

I only go to small venue concerts now. People tend to be more respectful of the performing artist than in a huge arena. I don't go to many live shows anymore, but when I go it's to enjoy the music. What is really getting distracting are all these people holding up their cellphones to film parts of the concert. One guy just stood up and held his phone out for a whole song and blocked everyone's view behind him.

I like to experience the group and music live, but I'm more comfortable and feel like I can enjoy the music more at home. Plus, if I want a snack or have to go to the can, I can stop the music until I'm back in position.

I STILL wonder how they pulled off Woodstock...in the rain no less! Mind you many of them didn't realize it WAS raining. The "rainbows" were gettin' in the way.:)

Q

To clarify...does all this aspect of "isolated listening" hold true for the concert experience where at times it's full of comments/screams/and meyham?

Just shak'n the tree, eh?

Q

Like Bob, big concerts tend to irritate me. I will go to clubs every now and then, but most places are very small. I don't like it when someone wants to converse while the band is playing. Last night Mrs Grillebilly was talking to me while I was listening to something for the first time and I hate to admit it but I was irritated at her. I kept it zipped up to keep the peace, of course. I was madder at myself than I was with her though, as I can play the album over again anytime.

Another event I tend to like offering is to share with some one an obscure/little known/unique or rare recording that I sorta know he/she hasn't heard before. Some times after hearing the recording, they either want me to either burn/tape a copy or they want to get their own copy. This leads to further listening.

For example I've some sad ballad-type Everly Bros tapes that few have heard and are taken back by their folk renditions. Also, I've shared some composites of past humourous tunes I've put together... some they remember, others are new to them. It's good for a laugh or two.

Lately, I've been trying to introduce my daughter to classical music after I discovered she didn't have any background in this genre. What brought this on was when I shared a Deep Purple and London Phil Orchestra who got together to produce a great arrangement of the two music worlds. She knew the hard rock band but just couldn't fully appreciate the meld of the two vastly different playing styles/content.

So now I'm buying classic for her and sharing what my classic background has to offer. She's now on board with a new interest after tasting the classical side of music.

So, for what it's worth, sometimes you can enlarge others' world of music by the sharing.

Q
Quadman, I'm not sure where you are , but I am lucky in Buffalo, the tribute bands and the Philharmonic present pops concerts, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin and others all been fantastic concerts. Good fun to see the marriage of the 2.

Also another Album suggestion, Not sure if Jazz is in your mix
R-1996439-1399896069-8102.jpeg.jpg

Retired, home alone, until my wife comes home from work. Then, we listen, together. I spin records close to 8 hours a day, 7 by myself, unless its raining. I start around 6am.

Last night Mrs Grillebilly was talking to me while I was listening to something for the first time and I hate to admit it but I was irritated at her. I kept it zipped up to keep the peace, of course.
Last night the wife and daughter were yakking it up while I was trying to listen. Similar irritation. I changed the record to something poppy-backgroundy. All good, TT

My wife does not like some of the bands I like or enjoys the music made by some of my friends. So Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, and a few others can only be played when she is not home. If she is home and I must listen to these bands, I use headphones.

She returns the favor by not playing disco or such stuff when I am home.

My wife does not like some of the bands I like or enjoys the music made by some of my friends. So Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, and a few others can only be played when she is not home. If she is home and I must listen to these bands, I use headphones.

She returns the favor by not playing disco or such stuff when I am home.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE, I ASSURE YOU!;)

Q

YOU ARE NOT ALONE, I ASSURE YOU!;)

Q
My wife and I mostly compatible in our music tastes. It's almost scary, even, how much alike we are in our tastes. But yeah, she cannot tolerate a few of my choices, including the Stones as well as some of my punk and grunge albums. She also likes a few things I don't like... Def Leppard and the Eagles, among them.

Since my wife and daughter do not share my likes in music, (cultural and age difference respectively), I usually listen to everything alone. I guess, the Who's "Quadrophenia" is an album I prefer to listen to by myself.

CA Quintet/s Trip Thru Hell is probably best listened to alone. Unless you want your family to call the men in white coats for some company for you.

Up until this thread I've kinda felt just a little on the guilty side, not wanting to share even more with others some of the music that I consider needs sharing. But now to a greater extent, I can see, make that hear that for the most part, this is a past time/hobby/endeavour is best appreciated in isolation. Except maybe an occasional musical outing wherein there is a gathering of followers who want to take in the moment and want to show in turn their appreciation of the artist(s).

So, I guess there is place in the end for both listening alone and for the shared listening experience of a concert. Personally, I find when the producers try to create a "live" recording it takes away from the music itself. But that's just my POV.

Q

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom