An amplifier here a speaker there...

RemoWilliams

Addicted Member
Another new member that has followed this forum over the last couple of years and decided that some of you might be interested in what I have ended up with over a period of time buying and trading, usually without a specific piece of gear in mind, just being informed enough to make a hopefully sound decision if you will pardon the pun.

Since I also found myself involved with home theater my collection such as it is encompasses a mix of components involving 2 as well as multi channel. More recently semi retirement has forced me to put a damper on spending which basically means a fairly tight budget. What this has done is allowed more time to check the local Craigslist as well as various Value Village stores, once in a while the odd piece is found, just recently I purchased a Toshiba HD A1 and Sony BDP S500 for 20 Cdn. each. Actually it is a bit addictive looking for audio bargains!

I must be a sucker for punishment but the build quality, analog outputs and made in Japan aspect made me purchase these two orphans, relics of fast moving technology that would make them seem perhaps rather useless but at least they still work, and the Sony is perfect in my bedroom used with a 24" 1:78 monitor watching blu rays even if in two channel mode. As well I still have 40 odd HD dvds so I needed an excuse in case the HD AX1 ever decides to stop working. Another one of those early adopters that was left holding the bag as it were.

The bedroom system consists of a Dynaco SCA 210R stereo integrated amplifier ( Asian market - not the U.S. made Dynaco of old ), Rotel RCD 855 cd player ( lightly modded - no digital out, using analog ), interconnects are Straight Wire Encore II I had lying around. The aforementioned Sony blu ray player.does the video chores. Speakers are a pair of Boston Acoustics T830s. This is in a smallish space, approximately 8 x 12 with everything placed along one of the 12' walls. The desktop HP computer is a bit older but using the audio output with an rca y adapter into the Dynaco allows decent music or movies via You Tube or The Psychomed - Audiophile Lounge for streaming their program music at 320 kbps. One of these days some Hi rez files are in order.

The living room is of course where the main 5.1 as well as 2 channel systems are set up. After trying various speakers over the years when all I had was 2 channel some of the speakers that came and went were Paradigm 3SEs, Atoms, and Studio 20s. Also tried B&W CDM2 SEs, Near 50 me2s and finally stayed with a pair of floor standing Soundwave Soliloquys, ( Jim Gala of I believe Vector Research ) which I have owned for close to 10 years, trading the Nears for them, they were still new in their shipping boxes,weighing in at 60 pounds each on their own, sealed 5 sided cabinets. Quite the musical speaker and I have yet to feel they need replacing.

These were brought over from a closed high end Audio store based in Hong Kong, everything was shipped to Vancouver in containers just before the British handed the Colony over to China, guess the owner decided it was not the place to be!

I do augment the Soundwaves with a pair of Keswick Audio Research Volante Evolutions, a two way,twin ported floor standing speaker made by an English company, these were produced for the British and Asian markets so rather uncommon in North America, they seem to garner praise from those that have heard them. They are indeed quite accomplished, I was impressed by their musicality and rather amazing ability for very good bass reproduction, given the single somewhat small 6" bass/mid driver. These I primarily use with a Vincent SV 236 MKII integrated hybrid amplifier. Along with them is either a Sony DVP S7000 as well as a Pioneer Elite DV 37, both used as transports and sending their 1s and 0s through a Signal Cable silver digital cable. I use a pair of Signal Cable rca analog silver cables from a Schiit Bi Frost 4490 dac into the Vincent.

Because I seem to have this thing about not using something I paid more than the usual amount for - in this case the Vincent was purchased new for about 2,000.00 Cdn.at a reduced price because of the soon to be released SV237 successor - plus replacing the original Chinese military 12AX7B tubes for a combination 12AX7 Ten Kobe driver with a pair of mid '60's Tungsram ECC83s for the L & R channels I did not want to use it too much - make sense? Probably not.

What I did was rationalize putting together a secondary or "back ground music" system for those more often than not listening sessions where I wanted decent sound quality but being able to use components that were inexpensive and hence more prone to be readily used - and were of course literally used. With that in mind I first tried a mid - late '70's Hitachi integrated amplifier and tuner, the model number escapes me at the moment but they were bought through a local hobbyist selling on Craigslist.

For one reason or another the sound was just not to my liking so I traded them ( at an unfortunate loss ) for a Luxman L 215 integrated amplifier at the one and only vintage dealer in town Innovative Audio. They also took a pair of Jamo Silhouette speakers I had in the bedroom before the Boston T830s ( which I paid 100 for - the drivers had been re foamed fortunately ), giving me 25.00 for the pair ( wholesale price I was told, not worth much ). I saw them listed on their site within a few days for 300.00. So I am a lousy Seller - thought about putting them and the Hitachi units on Craigslist but dang if I didn't get impatient. Lesson hopefully learned - but I doubt it.

The best part from all of this is that I loved the sound of that little Luxman, so much in fact that I started watching Craigslist for vintage Luxman amplifiers/receivers and just recently landed an R 113 receiver in good condition for 40, and it along with a Denon DCD 820 cd player do their thing along with a Musical Fidelity V dac along for the musical ride. I paired some Gemme Tonic G3 book shelf speakers ( piano black finish ) with these components and frankly everything works well together, I find myself sitting on the couch actually listening to the music and rediscovering my collection of cds. I honestly did not expect that! The speaker stands are some VERY hefty thick steel design custom made locally some years ago that were purchased through Craigslist for 70.00, they cost over 300.00 back in the day and are quite nice.

I use a custom made digital cable using Canare rca connectors crimped to a length of high quality Belden cable, seems to do the job well enough. Interconnects were made up for me from some well made cable by a friend for 90.00 at least 10 years ago. Speaker cable is some silver/copper combination made by MaxCable ( SP - 007 ), never heard of them but again, does the job, whatever the original cost it was a lot more than the 50 my audiophile fiend charged me. I traded and purchased a number of audio related items from him over the years, such as the Keswick, Soundwave and Near speakers. Best not to think too much about how much I spent during my working years but he did introduce me to some not only obscure but great sounding equipment. He did recently give me a smaller version of the Soundwave floor standers - perfect as a center speaker as they match the Soliloquys sonically, always a good thing.

Come to think of it, once I had that speaker I sold a GoldenEar Technology Superstat 60C to a person in Seattle - I found the Soundwave did a better job - in fact I have read that a center speaker mounted vertically matches more closely the sound emanating from traditionally designed speakers most of us use for the left and right channels. All I know is that movies and the various concerts I have on blu ray sound very good indeed. One of my favorites? David Gilmour Live At Royal Albert Hall.

As for the home theater, that comprises of a Myryad MA 360 power amplifier along with a Rotel 2 channel for the rear surrounds. The pre pro is an Emotiva UMC 200 and blu rays are handled by either a Denon DVD 1800bd, Oppo BDP 93 and 95, the 93 was modded to play muli region. Rear surrounds are Axiom QS8s and I ended up buying first a SVS PC 12 NSD and then a few years later another SVS, the PC 13 Ultra. All in all a decent combination, for viewing I use either a Panasonic 50" Plasma ( TC - P50U50 ) as well as my first HD tv a 42" Toshiba Regza or occasionally a JVC X35B ( RS46) projecting onto a Carada BW 128" 2:35 screen, and I will not deny despite being from 2013 the JVC still throws a nice image although the plasma is a treat too - just wish I it was larger! Speaking of larger, I did buy a used non working Samsung 60" led tv that most likely needs a man board replacement, I wanted to try and find out if I could bring it back to operating status without spending too much, so far it has not put me out cost wise and hopefully I can sort it out. Lots of fun.

Beyond all of that there is an Oppo DV 981 dvd player as well as a Monarchy Audio DT 40A laser disc player that I once used as a cd transport - based on a Theta model I believe - I still have a few laser discs and watch them on occasion but after watching a blu ray it can be a bit difficult. Can't believe that I paid 700 for it when it was closer to new.

I seem to recollect also having in my possession a VTL integrated tube amplifier, Odyssey Stratos, Cambridge Audio a300 amplifier, Monarchy Audio Model 22a dac, DPA PDM3 dac with its separate PDM2 PS unit and other odds and ends I might eventually remember. I have to take further images since I have changed things around since these were taken, but will add them soon.

DSCN1575.jpg DSCN1579.jpg DSCN1593.jpg DSCN1582.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1581.jpg
    DSCN1581.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN1581.jpg
    DSCN1581.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hey guys, thank you for the kind words - naturally I spend more time checking out everyone else and what they enjoy - a seemingly endless variety! I rent in a town house complex but still manage to get away with the volume up at times - mostly during the day of course. I made a few mistakes regarding various components and some omissions, not that it really matters but more for anyone interested.

Some of the components I have previously owned:

Cambridge Audio A3i integrated amp. ( not A300 )
Cambridge Audio CD4 SE
B & W CDM1 SE ( traded the CDM2 SEs )
Mission 70 speakers
Audiolab 8000P power amplifier
Audiolab 8000C pre amp
Luxman D225
Paradigm Monitor 9 speakers ( traded in for Studio 20s )
Paradigm PDR 10 sub
Bravo D1
Infinity PS 12 sub
Paradigm CC 350 center speaker
Panasonic PT AE500 projector
Sony PS3
Hitachi TX200 projector
Epson 1080 UB Pro projector
Panasonic BD55
Auric Audio 2.6 tube pre amp
California Audio Labs CL 20 ( should have kept it! )

A few more images - the two last ones are from the early 2000's. I notice on one I then had the Audiolab 8000 / Monarchy Audio Model 22 dac playing through a Cambridge Audio cd player and the Near 50 speakers. Wow, some concrete blocks on top of the cd player, cheap dampening trick!

DSCN2154.jpg DSCN2157.jpg DSCN2158.jpg DSCN2159.jpg DSCN2160.jpg DSCN2163.jpg DSCN2161.jpg DSCN2162.jpg

Last edited:
I thought I was more or less finished for now acquiring more components but just could not pass up a pairing of a Denon DRA 335R stereo receiver with a Denon DCD 460 cd player on the local Craigslist, the Seller threw in a pair of Mission 2 way 760 speakers and I found a place for the receiver and player in the tv stand, even came with the remote, which works on both units. All for 40 Cdn. I suppose I could have done worse.

They seem to work well together, using the Straightwire Encore II interconnects as the 460 only has analog outputs but seems to garner more or less positive thoughts from owners. Need to do some extended listening and find out how they measure up.

Interesting that he had plenty of interest - they were posted for over a month - but potential buyers either did not follow up or only wanted the cd player. He wanted to sell them together which at least gave me the opportunity.

Some images of the Denon/ Mission 761, can't really complain although the Missions would most likely do better in a smaller room. Living room is getting a bit untidy moving speakers and the tvs around so I need to stop finding orphans to take home. But most of us realize that is impossible.

IBGX05i.jpg

JECPlRl.jpg

EARBbzN.jpg

Super finds,,,,,,,i have found that my ears have favor for almost everything ( professional hoarder ) i like it all, and my house shows it, inside and out!!!!!!!!

I posted in the Solid State section regarding a Sansui 800 receiver I decided to purchase soon - very nice condition overall and the owner had it checked over for some slight noise in one channel, the service tech solved that issue but for some reason the FM section is now not able to pull in stations as strongly. I rarely use that function anyway but wonder what might have happened. Anyway, the price is very reasonable and I thought it would be interesting to try something of this vintage, these earlier Sansui receivers/amplifiers appear to have very pleasing sonic qualities and I have always liked the look of the majority of receivers from that era. Will post images when I get it set up.

From the Seller's ad:

wStqYOa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom