An Aspiring DJ need help

DJ white plague

Hey I'm new to the whole scene and am now trying to get a decent DJ setup to begin. I have some good software but need help with hardware. At the moment i have a JVC L-A31 turn table some boston speakers and a Realistic SA-155 amp.
I'm hoping to get a duel turntable setup to scratch. I need hints on how much money im looking at spending, what is good and what is bad, and just help in general. I really apreciate it.

names erich and im pretty young so spelling errors may occur :deadhorse

EDIT: I see you meant a two-turntable setup, not "Dual" as in the manufacturer :)

You may be better off in a DJ forum, most of us around here specialize in hi-fi (and most certainly wouldn't scratch on a Dual!!) For a basic DJ set up, expect to spend about a grand - two Technics 1200 turntables are a must, avoid cheaper "DJ" brand DJ tables like Numark and Gemini if you're serious. Stanton is making some good products these day, some that are rivaling Technics in the DJ field. Get yourself some decent cartridges (again, Stanton is pretty good in this field) and invest in some good headphones (Sony's top of the line models work well, don't use hi-fi cans for club work, though).

Good luck to you.
-Ben

Last edited:
I used to DJ with decks first with Turntables and then with CD decks but now I do it with my computer (laptop) a couple of external drives and a Hercules controler and software.

Here is the controler and software sites and some picks.

Hercules

Much cheeper this way and your vinyl and cd's are safe at home.

I think Grumpy has a pair of Stantons, STR-60's, with straight 6" arms, and Stanton carts, for pretty reasonable money. I heard one, and it played pretty well, considering what it was. Not cosmetically perfect, but it worked well.

That might be a good place for you to start looking, for a table. You could pm him.

Oh, and one other thing, Grumpy KNOWS how to pack, for safe shipping.

I don't know. I don't think a computer prog could beat the oldskool equipment for me. I just like the older stuff better.

On a specific note. I need a good microphone. One for recording, right now my mic cost about five dollars, I make music with people for fun, so something under 60 dollars would be best for me. I am young so I won't be in a club for some time.

Thanks! ;)

Last edited:
OK apparently I know not much about DJ setups these days so forget what I said. I come from an era when DJs scowled at CDs and used nothing but 2x1200's and a mixer to do everything. Times change though , there was no other choice back then and the only way to learn was work it out yourself. It was a very underground scene, back in those days. Rave started creeping in from the UK, the e quality dropped and I got tired of it. (maybe I just got too old).

You damn kids and yer damn music. :D

good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
I think the original response to your posting is the best advice: this really isn't the forum for DJ products. Having been the Sales Manager, and then the Vice President of Sales and Marketing for both Pickering and Stanton in my past, I'm well aware of the ocean of difference between the use of cartridges and turntables for sonic pleasure, and the use of same for DJ purposes. The two have NOTHING in common whatsoever.

As my last experience was with the DJ business, I have to state the Technics is still the "preferred" table, though Numark has made some pretty impressive strides in this area. Stanton markets decent, but cheaply made tables, and I'd avoid ANYTHING from Gemini as most of it's just plain junk. And, though I certainly emphasized Stanton cartridges for DJ's (why wouldn't I, as I worked for the company), I have to say that the plug-in cartridge of choice is the Ortofon DJ model (the blue one) or the "night club."

benricci said:
Microphone: Get a Shure SM57, for your price range that'll be fine.

Go to Musicians Friend and get a 3 pack of NADY SP-5's. They kick the SM57 and the SM58's ass, and are about $25 for a 3 pack. Insanely cheap price...and I've beat the living hell out of mine. We A/B'd these things endlessly in stage situations with huge PA's...the Shures suck by comparison.

Well, i'm a fellow DJ as well as a turntable nut so i have tried quite a few decks and cartridges out and i'm happy to share my findings with you!

Firstly - decks.

If it isn't made by Technics or Vestax then FORGET IT. One of my decks is the Technics SL1210 and is built like a tank, will take any abuse you can throw at it and feels solid and reliable.
Don't even give the cheaper KAM, Numark, Citronic, Gemini or Numark decks the time of day, ESPECIALLY if they're belt drive - you NEED direct drive!!The higher end Gemini and Numark units feel quite solid and have plenty of toys on them but i used a Numark Pro-TT2 for a while and whilst startup was fast and it was fine and stable for back-cueing, as soon as the volume crept up to proper party levels, it picked up the vibrations and started howling!! I have also heard rumours of a couple of serious reliability flaws in the new Numark TTX-1 which otherwise seems good value for money.

The other deck i use is a Vestax PDX-A1Mk2S which i only bought as a temporary measure after finding out the Numark wasn't up to the job, but i'm in no hurry to replace it! It is a bit lighter than the Technics but seems just as robust and actually sounds a bit better, despite the short straight arm which is perfect for scratching but not ideal for playing records!

Secondly - cartridges.

Junk that Stanton!! The 500AL is the industry standard cartridge and it's rubbish - it does track well and is very sturdy but it has a messy treble and is surprisingly dull sounding - not ideal if you want to set the dance floor alight. Stanton do make some fine cartridges but you'd be loking at £150 plus for a decent one and my personal recommendation would be to look at the Ortofon range - i use OM-ProS models tracking at 3g and have never had any problems. As a bonus, they are about £30 each with replacement stylii at £17 so don't break the bank either. I have also very briefly played with a Shure M44-& which seemed very good - i haven't used one in anger but it might be another to consider.

Remember - Your decks will be the main tools of your work so there is no point in cutting corners on them - it will just cost you more money in the long run!

Happy Hunting!

I think if I were starting over again the the DJ business, I'd have to give one of the new pro "digital amps" a look. Some of the Carver Pro ZR line of amps sounded so good that, for a while anyway, alot of folks were adapting them for home use. The Carver ZR1000 or 1600 would be models I'd take a look at:

http://carverpro.com/zramps.html

There's one 1600 available now on Audiogon for a reasonable price.

Also, from my perspective, there's alot of folks getting into and out of the DJ business all the time. No need to buy new gear when used gear in good condition is available.

I agree about the choice of decks: the Technics 1200 line has been battle tested, and works great. Don't know if you live near Michigan, but:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ele/107303202.html

about hercules, are there any free types of DJ software programs. As of right now im using FL studios for some mediocre beats and all of that. im sorry for posting in the wrong topic ill move my further questions to dj, as i said im young and dont know much but i really apreciate all the help. but yeah as of right now i am wondering about free DJ software. w/ or w/o illegal downloading

Back
Top Bottom