An Awesome Infinity, Genesis Kind Of Tuesday

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jayrosc, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Jayrosc

Jayrosc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Today began like any, but quickly changed when a friend called me and asked if I could help hook up a pair of speakers she bought at a yard sale for 4 bucks.
    "What kind are they?" I asked.
    "Not very big," she replied. "They say Genesis on them."
    Off I went.
    Turns out she had snagged a pristine pair. These are smallish for sure with a six inch woofer, that interesting looking inverted dome tweeter with the Genesis logo on them and, surprise surprise, a front port. Sorry, didn't have my phone, so no pics. Anyways, these have perfect foam on the woofers, don't ask me why. We hooked them up to a 1980's 35 wpc Onkyo receiver I had laying around and put an iPod in and these things sound like they are new.
    My only question is that bass port....I didn't think the Genesis folks rolled that way.
    Then I headed off to look at a job in the next town over and stopped at a thrift store on the way home. Sitting there was a pair of Infinity QE's with those Emit Tweeters I keep hearing about. They were in my car within three minutes.
    They are playing now and sound pretty darn nice with nice and clear sweet highs. Bass is acceptable for an 8 inch woofer. Glad I got them.

Attached Files:

2. soundmig

soundmig AK Subscriber Subscriber

Qe's are sweet. I had a pair throughout most of college back in late 70's early 80's and they always sounded good. I paired them with a Burhoe subwoofer (doubled as a coffee table) back in the day - and it made a really nice sounding system.

Oozure likes this.
  3. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

The Genesis speakers sound like the V6, they were ported with a 6" woofer. Do the woofers have green foam? If not, it's been replaced.

Most, if not all of the larger Genesis Physics speakers used passive radiators, but you're correct, I believe all the smaller ones except the V6 were sealed.

4. saea501

saea501 Super Member

There were a few Genesis models with ports.....the 11s also had a port.

5. Jayrosc

Jayrosc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just checked human speakers and yes, these appear to be a pair of refoamed V6's. Nice little speaker, but I'm liking the bright and punchy Infinity's more.

6. Putterman

Putterman Super Member

Actually it was the Epicure 11 that was ported. AFAIK it, the Epi 70 and Genesis V6 were the only ported speakers in the EPI/Genesis family.

7. saea501

saea501 Super Member

Sorry, Putterman.....the Genesis 11 was ported. Huw's site has a picture of it if you're interested. http://www.humanspeakers.com/genesis/gen11.htm

And I believe the EPI model 70 was not ported.

8. Putterman

Putterman Super Member

:oops: I should know that since I have a Genesis 11. As for the EPI 70, I've personally never seen a ported version, but Gordon W mentions a ported version http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-70-any-good-collectible.131882/#post-1424457. Actually that whole series except the Genesis 7 at the low end was either ported or had a passive radiator, that the 11, 22, 33, 44 and 66.

9. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

No passive radiator for the Genesis 66 .

10. Wires!!

Wires!! Active Member

Just picked up these genesis 7s. Like new. Rear ported.
    IMG_2335.JPG
    IMG_2338.JPG
    And it's Tuesday!