An observation on internet "snipe"-ers

thurber

I read a lot of old threads and one thing I am entertained by is that there seem to be two genres of thread:

1) One in which a sometimes decade-old thread is resurrected, with another person jumping in and seemingly scolding them for doing so.

2) New threads in which someone snaps the poster, reminding them to do a search of old threads on this topic and post there.

You could imagine the guy on the first thread going and creating the second thread, and ending up in a feedback loop.

Which does not make AK unique, as far as the internet goes. And I have said before that I find AK to be probably the most nice, civil, & cool forum I regularly use on the internet.

Having taken note of this phenomenon, I actually appreciate that this board is not overwhelmingly uptight about such stuff. For someone who grew up in the era of the early internet, trying to use more recent forums like Reddit means being sniped at by young millennials who apparently know, and are deeply invested in enforcing, all the unwritten rules of the internet. You'd almost think they think they invented it. Little bit uptight for my taste.

But I still get a kick out of seeing this happen time & again.

Back
Top Bottom