Analog Addict's Altec Mancave System

i would love to hear a set up like this, i've had 2 15's that practically shook my entire house. god knows what this sounds like

My sort of Mecca!
I love the hunt and acquisition of a new piece of audio gear. I can only imagine how much enjoyment you have been having!
Awesome! I am so glad this stuff is snapped up by enthusiasts and saved from the dump!

WOW! My 19s dominate my room, and they look like Bose Jewel Cubes in that setup. Happy listening, watch the volume!

Gives all new meaning to "home theater" system...750 seats?

Current total seating has been cut down from the old days....

Midwest011.jpg

theater.jpg

Midwesttheater3.jpg

Midwesttheater-1.jpg

I see some nice high-end gear in your collection. What are your favorites?

Well, of the stuff that's restored and running, a lot of it is the stuff I built myself with the help of my mentor, Dennis Had. Single ended amps including 45, 2A3, 6L6 and 6550. Preamps are Citation I and IV, and self built tube phono pre amp.

I just finished redoing my listening position and room set up. I need to take some pix and post them up. I think it's a long overdue move forward....

Last edited:
We are barred in Oklahoma from having VOTT due to earthquake problems. We thought it was oil and gas production...it turned out to be a guy in Enid OK with four Altec A-4s. ;)

If you calculated the permutations of configuration available in this man-cave-of-man-caves, you'd run out of time before death to hear them all. It is, indeed, a unique place for those who have visited and tinkered along with AA!

Nice improvements, AA. Like the near-field listening table, too. Very cool!

Cheers,

David

If you calculated the permutations of configuration available in this man-cave-of-man-caves, you'd run out of time before death to hear them all. It is, indeed, a unique place for those who have visited and tinkered along with AA!

Nice improvements, AA. Like the near-field listening table, too. Very cool!

Cheers,

David

Thanks Dave! Still adding and tinkering. I'm kinda kicking myself for not doing this sooner. A close up of the hardware, with TT and speaker selection box added...

I have dug up some long neglected speakers to get reacquainted with.

From left to right Altec 872B Madrids modded with round EMIT tweeter, LSA1 Statement bookshelfs on top of DBX SF-10s (with eq), Precise Audio Monitor 10s, and open baffle UREI/Altec 604-8G with custom Had Audio crossovers....I will prolly drag out the DQ-12s and some other long forgotten speakers in the near future. I also need to get those photo albums out of the bottom of that cabinet and get some vinyl in there instead.

Last edited:
Yeah, I recognize those 604s well enough. Glad they're working for you! :beerchug:

Cheers,

David

Well, now I don't feel so bad about my meager pile.

Looks like you're having a good time, AA. Rock out, and give that system some gas. I'll stick my head out the door here in Ky, and see if I can tell what you're playing.

Well, I think I finally have the last two pieces I needed for complete immersion....

A 1080p Panasonic DLP

and a 10' x 10' Da-Lite Cosmopolitan motorized screen

Combine that with Altec theatre sound designed for 750, and I'm in business. Hope to have everything wired up by Sunday....

Back
Top Bottom