Analyzer?

I managed to installed it last year on my ubuntu laptop. Can't remember what I did, I'll check to see if I can find.

Thanks, I've tried some of the permissions suggestions I've found, but get a no such file type message.

Last edited:
This is what I tried and nothing.

chmod 777 REW_linux_5_18.sh
sudo ./REW_linux_5_18.sh

When I first clicked the downloaded file it just opened it as some kind of programmer looking stuff, took it a while to open. I'll try the other sh file tonight.

This is what I tried and nothing.

chmod 777 REW_linux_5_18.sh
sudo ./REW_linux_5_18.sh

When I first clicked the downloaded file it just opened it as some kind of programmer looking stuff, took it a while to open. I'll try the other sh file tonight.

The latest REW file is 5.19

This worked !

In Ubuntu 16.04 this is how to open it in Terminal:

Go to the File Manager > Edit > Preferences > Behavior for Executable Text Files and select Ask each time.

The problem is that it's by default set to View Executable Files when they are opened.

Leniel Maccaferri

I also had to right click the file and under permissions check "allow executing file as program". Then after double clicking the file, selecting "Run in Terminal".

Last edited:
If you have WINE installed, the windows version installs and runs in it for me no problem. No mic though so I can't test it.

If you have WINE installed, the windows version installs and runs in it for me no problem. No mic though so I can't test it.

I've not used wine before, so I'm fighting trying to get it to open a simple .exe file with no luck. Wondering what I'm doing wrong, double click gets nothing.

I just choose open with in firefox. It's easier than going through wine itself.
Screenshot from 2018-08-04 09-22-20.png

If you go through wine you need to goto Applications then wine and choose browse C drive to the executable and double click it through there.

Last edited:
If you managed to install it with Ubuntu, there's no reason to install wine.

If your microphone is recognized by Ubuntu you're ready to measure your room.

I messed with it a bit last night and notice the frequencies from the file look to be right, but the db scale is spread lower on the low levels and higher on the high levels. Also grabbed a splitter (trrs to two trs) for the mic to send audio to the computer.

Normally it's not blasting at that level, but sometimes I do like to rock out. (feel it)

When attempting to set this with pink noise do you shoot for completely flat across the board, or is it going to roll the highs down and boost some bass ? In order to get it close to flat I really had to boost the highs and lower the bass way down ? I know using a phone ap is not ideal, just working with what I have.
The analyzer can get 'fooled' at the extremes of freq. Think about it, say your speakers only go down to 50 Hz. The analyzer will try to correct the response flat down to 20 Hz, which in this case is impossible. Same with 20 kHz. Some speakers can't get there so the EQ is desperately trying to fix it with a huge boost. You are best to set those levels by ear. And don't try to get what a speaker can't do.

When I look at the txt file above it says 68db at 75hz. When I load the original file into my phone the graph shows 64db at 75hz. I'm guessing something is off with the phone graphic ? Would volts, peak volts and valley volts change this ? What do they represent ?

I did find I can edit the file above a bit in office and easily load it into REW.

The problem with (some) volume controls done in digital the easy way is that they lose resolution at low volume. The easy way is to shift the sample bits, to the left to multiply the sample by two (+3 dB), or more typically to the right to divide by two (-3 dB). When shifting to the right, you lose a bit (literally, one binary digit) of resolution - it falls into "the bit bucket", i.e. disappears. When shifting to the left, you don't know what to fill in for the rightmost bit, so it gets a purely arbitrary zero, or purely arbitrary one. One seldom knows how a digital volume control is implemented, so the OCD'ers among us avoid using the digital volume controls for serious listening, in favor of analog attenuation.

Does this apply here with a dsp ?

Back
Top Bottom