Animal Repeller Amplification!

wingzam

VIntage audio??
I have a pest problem, armadillo's and mosquitoes, etc.
I have a pest repeller that I want to amplify to cover a larger area.
I need some help wiring this up.
What I hope to do is run the remote speaker jack to the input of either a home or PA amp.

Here are pics of what I'm working with - can I run this repeller100_0279.jpg 100_0280.jpg to an amp?
I am also using only tweeters and have heard I'd have to put a resistor between the amp and the speaker but I don't know how to wire it.
Any help would be a big help.
Thanks

Attachments

• 100_0287.jpg
    100_0287.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 100_0293.jpg
    100_0293.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 47
I would say you are wasting your time. The very high frequency of the pest repeller is more then likely much higher then what many tweeters can reproduce, I also think that mosquitoes can't hear.

I found this on their web page.

upload_2017-7-16_18-0-26.png

As WaynerN indicates, It is likely that average tweeters may find this frequency range difficult to reproduce.

Sound pressure levels at these frequencies are easily attenuated. Depending on your specific application, more lower powered transducers may be better than fewer higher power transducers.

What will work the best for you in terms of coverage area is application specific.

Some piezoelectric tweeters might work.

While I'm no help on the armadillos, there are plants you can buy that secrete citronella oil. Marketed as.....wait for it.......mosquito plants. Or some such.

Friends who have them say they really help. Good luck.

I found this on their web page.

View attachment 968690

As WaynerN indicates, It is likely that average tweeters may find this frequency range difficult to reproduce.

Sound pressure levels at these frequencies are easily attenuated. Depending on your specific application, more lower powered transducers may be better than fewer higher power transducers.

What will work the best for you in terms of coverage area is application specific.

Some piezoelectric tweeters might work.

Here are the piezo tweeters I found for the job.
I think I'm trying to hit about 12 - 15khz at the most.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tweeter-Spe...Piezo-Compression-Drivers-300W-/201986250712?

While I'm no help on the armadillos, there are plants you can buy that secrete citronella oil. Marketed as.....wait for it.......mosquito plants. Or some such.

Friends who have them say they really help. Good luck.

I just saw these plants walking into Home Depot. They weren't labeled mosquito plants, but I recognized citronella from the repellent candles I've seen..Worth a try but I'm in a low area in N.Florida where a lot of water stands. The mosquitoes here are brutal with a long lasting sting.

High powered Piezos, the old Motorolas etc. They have been used for decades for various repeller designs in rural situations.

Most decent piezos can tolerate 40v before they fail, you'd need to be very careful if you used another amplifier as it needs to be stable at HF frequencies.

Why not just track down a 2nd hand commercial high powered unit used in a grain silo or such?

If youuse bug zappers for skeet'rs, place them as far away from you as possible. It always cracks me up to see them hanging next to a patio. I've used that stinky ground up plant matter to repel unwanted critters with good results. The high freq. Emitters
never did much for me.

High powered Piezos, the old Motorolas etc. They have been used for decades for various repeller designs in rural situations.

Most decent piezos can tolerate 40v before they fail, you'd need to be very careful if you used another amplifier as it needs to be stable at HF frequencies.

Why not just track down a 2nd hand commercial high powered unit used in a grain silo or such?

I found this unit, but it's almost $700.
https://bird-x.com/bird-products/electronic/sonic/critter-blaster-pro/

An older unit on the Bay for $540. A lot more than I want to/can spend.

The unit I have has different setting making it pretty flexible, which brings me back to my original question - can I run a cable from the Remote Speaker output to the input on an amplifier without burning something up?.

Attachments

• 100_0307.jpg
    100_0307.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 16
My neighbor bought some type of device that emits each of 4 frequencies (each higher than the previous) for about 7 seconds, every 5-10 minutes or so (annoying). She got it about a month ago and I noticed the moles are more active in my yard now. If there is a fifth frequency, I can't hear it.

Oh, F'ing moles...why is it that they are most active right around my patio area and leave the rest of my yard un-excavated?! Little A-holes!
The repeller I have has 3 frequency settings and a low medium and high volume setting. I'll be setting it on the quiet mode because it really is an aggressive sound. Not quite sure if this quiet mode moves the frequency up to the inaudible range..Contacted the company and found out it has been bought and sold a number of times and nobody can tell me anything about my unit..This appears to be a regular thing: Company A buys out Company B and then purges all the stock, literature and knowledge base from the previous products.

My neighbor bought some type of device that emits each of 4 frequencies (each higher than the previous) for about 7 seconds, every 5-10 minutes or so (annoying). She got it about a month ago and I noticed the moles are more active in my yard now. If there is a fifth frequency, I can't hear it.

High frequency noise would get annoying real quick IMHO. I wonder if there are any regulations dealing with the emitting of HF sound. Besides, I doubt anything could effectively control the insect population in Fl.

High frequency noise would get annoying real quick IMHO. I wonder if there are any regulations dealing with the emitting of HF sound. Besides, I doubt anything could effectively control the insect population in Fl.
My property borders forest land with only one neighbor to the East of me so no one will be effected.
Also law enforcement doesn't prosecute noise violations. In this county you can blast your Rap music at 10,000watts, shake peoples homes and disturb animals for miles around and tell people who don't like it to f*ck off and it's considered freedom of speech.

I had mosquito problems where I live, there's a wooded park behind my house where water would stand. I got a couple of packs of mosquito dunks from the Depot and dropped them in the standing water. It's been 5 years since, and no mosquitos. They say the dunks have a biological component that kills the larvae. If I had to go it again differently, I'd build and install bat houses.

I had mosquito problems where I live, there's a wooded park behind my house where water would stand. I got a couple of packs of mosquito dunks from the Depot and dropped them in the standing water. It's been 5 years since, and no mosquitos. They say the dunks have a biological component that kills the larvae. If I had to go it again differently, I'd build and install bat houses.

Oh, good tip - thanks!

I made my own "ultrasonic cannon" to try to quiet my neighbors dogs. When I would use it, they would look quizically, but it never really stopped them. Eventually they moved.

They are easy to make!

Use a 555 chip to make an oscillator and run it into a pair/array of piezo tweeters. I use two 9 volt batteries in series (18 volts). Most 555 chips can't take more than 25-30 volts, so you could possibly use three 9 volt batteries. A pot lets me adjust the frequency from annoying to well beyond audibility.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom