Annihilation

I was waiting for this movie to come to a theater near me. It never made it. Guess I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD.

Reviews seemed mixed to negative. But from the trailers, it looked to be a somewhat psychological mind twister of a movie... with lots of questions and wtfs like Solaris.

If someone has seen it, please... no spoilers... thanks.

I look at the trailers and clips that the studio puts out. Find the Bear clip on YooToob. Seems the 'bear', 'modified' has picked the art of mimic. Its repeating the screams of its last victim. When it attacks the one woman it bites off her lower jaw and voicebox. Amazed how many bullets it took to bring it down.

Watched it today and didn't care for it. Paced too slow and not much af a story, especialy when you consider how good Ex Machina is.

Last edited:
I liked ex machina also. Is this thread ex machina lol.

For me, personally, and with a bud who took it in...it was a waste of time. We stuck with it hoping to find sense/meaning of a gal group stumbling around making stupid decisions, even though they were supposed to be trained. Right!:rolleyes:

As per your "ex machina" comment on the denouement? To have it machined gunned would have made more sense. But is is just my take on this AV effort.

Q

Last edited:
Welp, going in the other direction. One of the better sci-fi films I've seen. Dealt with the completely unknown aspect of the presence well. I liked the film quite a bit. I liked Transcendence too and definitely in the minority there as well. Ex Machina OTOH although OK was rather predictable and in the end rather weak (for me)... YMMV.

We stuck with it to find sense/meaning of a gal group stumbling around making stupid decisions, even though they were supposed to be trained. Right!:rolleyes:

Definitely not a fan of Grrrrrl Pwr! because it's the PC thing to do. Here though it came across as a Hail Mary desperation play, they'd tried everything else.

Welp, going in the other direction. One of the better sci-fi films I've seen. Dealt with the completely unknown aspect of the presence well. I liked the film quite a bit. I liked Transcendence too and definitely in the minority there as well. Ex Machina OTOH although OK was rather predictable and in the end rather weak (for me)... YMMV.

I respect our different takes on this...movie. Different strokes for different folks.

There was another thread on this same movie just a while back. I did have a lot company with my take. But again, the majority are not always found to be correct.

Have a good day, and take in some great listening.:music:

Q

I respect our different takes on this...movie. Different strokes for different folks.

There was another thread on this same movie just a while back. I did have a lot company with my take. But again, the majority are not always found to be correct.

Have a good day, and take in some great listening.:music:

Q

When I sat down to watch it I was well predisposed to hate it that's for sure and was surprised when I was drawn in to the story. Arrival* however I could not wait to end.

Ex Machina wasn't bad by any means but it started confirming my guesses as to plot direction about 30 minutes in. Could have been my mood that night too.

*Included as a ref in that it is a film of the unknown alien motive(s) genre.

When I sat down to watch it I was well predisposed to hate it that's for sure and was surprised when I was drawn in to the story. Arrival* however I could not wait to end.

Ex Machina wasn't bad by any means but it started confirming my guesses as to plot direction about 30 minutes in. Could have been my mood that night too.

*Included as a ref in that it is a film of the unknown alien motive(s) genre.

I liked Arrival more than Annihilation. The aliens' motive in Arrival was to recruit us for help they would be needing in the future. In Annihilation their motive was pretty obvious and the manner in which they were defeated was creatively weak (girl power).

In Annihilation their motive was pretty obvious and the manner in which they were defeated was creatively weak (girl power).

I left it feeling that the Annihilation "aliens" intent was ambiguous at best if it was even sentient at all. It may have just been and nothing more.

Finally watched... ugh. A handful of women enter the Shimmer where no one else has returned from alive and it turns into a camping trip.

They were about as dumb as the entire "Alien: Covenant" crew who all died... and should have died.

Huge disappointment.

I was a bit disappointed in this movie also. It did have some interesting ideas though. The plants in the shimmer that took on human form was neat but I didnt buy into the only women group going in untrained. Weak story.

I left it feeling that the Annihilation "aliens" intent was ambiguous at best if it was even sentient at all. It may have just been and nothing more.

At the start of Annihilation we see an interstellar object streaking toward a lighthouse and I thought alien invasion movie and the question was if us or them would be annihilated. When we discover that the alien was absorbing life within the expanding zone and replacing the original genetic code with its own I thought Invasion of the Genome Snatcher. From the start I didn't see any intent ambiguity. The alien's intent, like all life, is to live and reproduce and sentience is not a player in this. Would our earth genome based sentience necessarily be able to recognize an alien genome sentience or vice versa?

At the start of Annihilation we see an interstellar object streaking toward a lighthouse and I thought alien invasion movie and the question was if us or them would be annihilated. When we discover that the alien was absorbing life within the expanding zone and replacing the original genetic code with its own I thought Invasion of the Genome Snatcher. From the start I didn't see any intent ambiguity. The alien's intent, like all life, is to live and reproduce and sentience is not a player in this. Would our earth genome based sentience necessarily be able to recognize an alien genome sentience or vice versa?

The film I saw was closer to The Andromeda Strain than the one you saw.

Back
Top Bottom