Another bad amp shipping experience.

Blooze

UPS can really throw stuff around, I swear. Long story, so hold on. While I was on vacation I stopped by a friends house to listen to a few setups he had. Well, he had a pretty nice tube amp that he had on loan as a demo model for a couple of months. He had taken it to a couple of get togethers and shows for the retailer and the thing sounded great and looked immaculate inside and out. He had decided that he didn't need another amp and called the retailer to see if he would sell it to me at a discount. Everyone agreed and I told the friend that I would get home, mull it over with the wife and bank acct., and get back to him. Decided to go ahead and get it and sent the retailer the money. Friend shipped it to me in the original double box, 3" foam padding, ....whole bit (I helped pack this back in the box by the way). Received the amp, unpacked it and one of the tubes is broken in the box (wrapped up). Oh well, no biggie, so I replace the tubes with a new pair. Hook everthing up, turn her on, and holy cow--smoke, fire, you name it. Great! So I unplug it, pop off the bottom and several of the caps, resistors, and such are burnt to a crisp. Couple of leads are off now and it doesn't look quite right. Called the retailer and friend and they both agreed (I well as me) that the thing had to have been dropped hard, but landed flat on a side, breaking stuff loose on the inside--it's p2p by the way. So, I immediately call UPS file a claim. They come pick it up the next day and send it in for inspection. A week later it's inspected and they send it back to the friend. Then they call him and come pick the amp back up. Sent him the claim paperwork which he filled out and they told him the claim would be paid.

Now this is fine and dandy, because I'll get my money back and the retailer said he'd ship me a new one for the same cost if they did or he would fix it under warranty. One question though, where's the amp now? No one seems to know. So if for some reason they don't pay the claim I don't even have a broken amp to get fixed. If they do pay though I think I'm going to pass on replacing it just because I'm not playing the shipping game with a tube amp again from the coast to the midwest. I'll find something I can pick up. Should find out in the next week or two about claim settlement.

If UPS pays the claim for what they determine to be its "value," then they keep it. I assume they have periodic auctions or someone that comes by the damaged stuff department and buys it.

I'd get the dealer or whoever filed the claim to follow up ASAP and see if it can be bought back or whatever.

Same deal as a totaled car.

Murray

I figured that was the deal. I filed the claim. Then my friend has signed paperwork as the shipper to verify that it was packaged properly. I'm not worried about it as it will ne made right no matter the outcome. Just ridiculus if you ask me.

Finally.

Well, this a belated followup, but in the middle of Nov. UPS finally made right and cut a check for the insured amount. Jeesh, only took what, 3 1/2 months. Sad part of it, though, is that the amp probably ended up in a compactor somewhere. The iron was still good I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom