Another broken faceplate due to idiocracy.

Here's a real box that came back to my office where the receiver refused delivery because they didn't recognize the name on the box! It was to a person that had just started there..lol

There was a really nice monitor in there. The guy who packed it had some of the blame, but... wow!

View attachment 905445
Poorly packed.

Last edited:
When you're shopping for used McIntosh online, just treat non-local sales without original packaging as if they didn't exist. I'm sure its cathartic to call the seller names, but this is to be expected. McIntosh gear is half Hi-Fi, half Faberge egg. It's the nature of the game.

When you're shopping for used McIntosh online, just treat non-local sales without original packaging as if they didn't exist. I'm sure its cathartic to call the seller names, but this is to be expected. McIntosh gear is half Hi-Fi, half Faberge egg. It's the nature of the game.

I've shipped several Mac pieces without any problems. I used common sense, that's pretty much all that's required.
I understand people thinking that you absolutely need their packaging to ship, ok, that's probably the safest..but I don't think it's positively necessary. Give me a snap blade knife and some rigid foam and a couple of boxes and it will make it cross country with Ace Ventura.

I've shipped several Mac pieces without any problems. I used common sense, that's pretty much all that's required.
I understand people thinking that you absolutely need their packaging to ship, ok, that's probably the safest..but I don't think it's positively necessary. Give me a snap blade knife and some rigid foam and a couple of boxes and it will make it cross country with Ace Ventura.

I'm not saying its impossible, I'm saying it introduces too many variables for me to be comfortable with it. Think of it like this - the archives of this forum are filled with dozens of threads like this. If people took my advice, it wouldn't be. In no way am I admonishing the OP, but given the outcome I'm sure he wishes he'd spent another month or two waiting for an MVP with the box to pop up. At any rate, I'm sure going forward he'll adopt my policy of "assume everybody you deal with on ebay is a slightly evolved Chimpanzee and leave nothing to chance".

I had a C-29 face plate come from the factory direct that was damaged. I took pictures to show the inadequate packing. I guarantee the next one came in packed perfectly as I remember when I still working and we were Mac dealers. I guess two confirmed errors in 9 years isn't to bad!.

I finally got in touch with them. This faceplate is on the back order list and will be available in 4-6 months.

I guess once they get enough people on the back order list, they will manufacture a batch of them?
With this last sale to McIntosh Group....from what other's here and with a C32 (took 3 week's from a New Batch) 6100 (took 4 weeks) now takes many Months.
I do not need to be Nostradamus to see what is on the horizon with New Management.

Last edited:
I have to ask. Is there something special about the glass? (I have no Mac anything).
Maybe printing on the glass?

We have an older UPS shipping center in my area where the counter is actually in the garage area. Every time that I have been there while a truck is being unloaded I have seen the same drill. The articulated conveyor belt which swings into the truck for unloading is never used and the packages are literally thrown out of the back of the truck towards the general area of the main conveyor belt. After flying 10-15 feet through the air, most packages hit the side of the conveyor and crash to the ground. It is really something to see. Upsetting to say the least. If I can't pick up a McIntosh unit, I don't bid. Period. I gladly make the 4 hour drive each way to AC for service even though I have the factory boxes. Shippers can and will exceed the design parameters of any box.

Nothing is safe from the gentle, caring hands of the shippers it seems; not even original Mac boxes. This is how my C100 arrived from it's journey about a month ago. The seller did an outstanding job of packing but still somehow the baboons managed to shift the contents inside the box. No doubt if it had been packed in single box there would've been significant damage. But thanks to the original Mac box absorbing whatever got thrown at it there was no damage at all.

Did you try Tom Manley at www.mcintoshaudio.com? I got my MX113 glass from him. He has a sizable inventory.

I just sent him an email, we will see.
I struck out at audioclassics too. They asked me to pay now and they will ship when it's available. Mcintosh just put me on the list and took my information. Of course I went with Mcintosh since there was nothing out of pocket now.

So I ended up keeping it and taking a partial refund. Enough to cover the part, shipping and labor.
It was too cheap to pass up, since it works very well (for now anyway). I may regret it later if the glass never becomes available, but for now, the cheapskate in me is happy..

On the bright side, it's hard to see the crack at night in the dark. :)

I know it's a long shot, but I'll throw up a WTB thread on BT for one. You never know...

IMG_9633.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom