Another Brussels Sprouts Thread!!!

usedto

Lunatic Member
Today was out 37th anniversary, so wifey and I drove up to the little town of El Dorado and had lunch at a place called Poor Red's. The last time we were there was either 1979 or 80.

One of their "daily special" appetizers was fried Brussels Sprouts. I hate the buggers, but it sounded good, so we ordered some. Man, are they good!! A little dipping sauce and red pepper flakes.

sprouts.jpg

Today was out 37th anniversary, so wifey and I drove up to the little town of El Dorado and had lunch at a place called Poor Red's. The last time we were there was either 1979 or 80.

One of their "daily special" appetizers was fried Brussels Sprouts. I hate the buggers, but it sounded good, so we ordered some. Man, are they good!! A little dipping sauce and red pepper flakes.

View attachment 1131955

Best I ever tried were fried as well...in lard. From Marin Sun Farms in Pt. Reyes, CA. They have some great meat there. http://www.marinsunfarms.com/

Local bar is famous for theirs ... had em just the other day.

348s.jpg

Truth be told, I prefer em still crispy from the microwave with shredded cheese and salsa ...

Fun fact - I grow my own most years and found out they'll keep nicely if you just lay the stalks flat under the snow. I've dug em out in mid January for a tasty treat.

Best ones I've ever had were the stalks my dad grew in the backyard. The larger sprouts get a bit "woody" tasting to me, but the smaller ones near the top of the stalk were very nice. I'm more likely to steam them and serve with lemon, but I will have to try some of the alternatives next time I see some on a menu.

I do have to go home straight after eating them. Just sayin'. :D

Best ones I've ever had were the stalks my dad grew in the backyard. The larger sprouts get a bit "woody" tasting to me, but the smaller ones near the top of the stalk were very nice. I'm more likely to steam them and serve with lemon, but I will have to try some of the alternatives next time I see some on a menu.

I do have to go home straight after eating them. Just sayin'. :D
Yup...a lot of fiber, then if you cook them in any oil....cruciferous vegetable effect....

I recently did some with a light drizzle of hot and spicy maple syrup, butter and pecans. To die for.

I usually oven roast them drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with kosher salt and black pepper.

If I spend the time to prep them, I'll peel off the leaves individually and lay them out to roast and crisp up to be an addictive 'snack'.

My family and I like them tossed with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, sometimes a little garlic powder and/or parmessan cheese, then either roasted in the oven or skewered and grilled. We tend to cook asparagus the same way, aside from not skewering them for grilling. Steamed brussels sprouts are OK, if boring.

Had them for dinner last weekend, along with sautéed salmon and couscous. Yum. They steam nicely in the microwave.

119E308A-DA93-4C57-956A-9ECB00A47354.jpeg

I boil mine for 8 minutes, then cut them in half.

Finish cooking in a pan with olive oil, salt and pepper.

A little drizzle of balsamic reduction and they are awesome!

Why are brussels sprouts a Thing lately? Did one of those celebrity chefs feature them? Never heard about them, never saw them on menus in restaurants, and now they are all the rage. Our local fruit market even features them prominently in the store now.

My better half threatened to boot me out of the house if I ever cooked or ate any. She's heard my explosive stories. :D

Way back when, my mother would bring home frozen Brussels sprouts. They are good straight out of the freezer in the hot summer time as a quick snack.

Poor Reds! When I was a disk jockey at a radio station we did a promotion there. As I was walking around that horse shoe bar I was cornered and felt up by two cougars. That was 1981. They are probably still there. Ha.

Oh yeah, Brussel Sprouts..they are OK I guess.

Poor Reds! When I was a disk jockey at a radio station we did a promotion there. As I was walking around that horse shoe bar I was cornered and felt up by two cougars. That was 1981. They are probably still there. Ha.

Oh yeah, Brussel Sprouts..they are OK I guess.
It was closed down for awhile, then some new folks bought it in 2013, I believe, freshened it up, and it's quite the place now. We were there for lunch, so the cougars must've been hibernatin' 'cause I didn't see any.

I like them oiled and roasted. I mean everything is good fried in fat, but I have a limited number of arteries to clog. :p

I wonder if you could chop raw bacon and toss it with them and let it cook along with them? Oops, bacon fat. I do have my weaknesses. Just a little, pretty pleeeeze?

Back
Top Bottom