Another Brussels Sprouts Thread!!!

I can't even stand the smell of the buggers but, the wife loved them.
Don't care for it's big brother either, cooked cabbage, give it to me raw Ma'am!
But, now that I see these deep fried I might just give those a try.
You say El Dorado, is that El Dorado, Texas? Not much there that I've seen except a post office and one Cafe unless it's grown up now.

Roasted they are quite good too. There is much less of the bitterness that those horrible boiled ones had that they made you eat as a kid. Roasting brings out the sugar in a lot of vegetables. I used to hate the idea of a turnip or rutabaga, but diced and oiled and roasted till golden they are quite good.

One of my favorite ways to have sprouts is dunk them in freshly made Ranch or Bleu Cheese. Drooling just thinking about it. Even cold out of the fridge, I'll eat em that way.

Don't care for it's big brother either, cooked cabbage,
I'm not much of a fan of cooked cabbage either, but I do like the braised red cabbage I made with schnitzels. Of course it has bacon in it. :D Also vinegar. Kind of a sweet/sour taste to it, and it is not braised until it is a pile of mush either (braised until tender, not until liquified ;) ).

I'm not much of a fan of cooked cabbage either, but I do like the braised red cabbage I made with schnitzels. Of course it has bacon in it. :D Also vinegar. Kind of a sweet/sour taste to it, and it is not braised until it is a pile of mush either (braised until tender, not until liquified ;) ).

Sounds certainly like a German dish.
My mother use to make sour soup and I liked it but, sauerkraut and the like I just don't have the taste buds for.
But, any sausage on a bun or not I like very much.

Why are brussels sprouts a Thing lately? Did one of those celebrity chefs feature them? Never heard about them, never saw them on menus in restaurants, and now they are all the rage. Our local fruit market even features them prominently in the store now.

My better half threatened to boot me out of the house if I ever cooked or ate any. She's heard my explosive stories. :D

I think what's happened is someone finally started cooking them the right way. Not boiling them into a horrible mess, but pan frying or roasting them in an oven. The garbage I remember frrom the 70's and 80's smelled horrible and tasted even worse. A few years ago, I watched some cooking show, I don't remember which one, where the chef talked about how they were really delicious but had been ruined by the "boiling to death" and showed an alternative which was to chop in half or quarters if they were bigger, drizzle some olive oil on them, salt and pepper and throw them in the oven until they started getting browned... delicious! I never saw kids fight over Brussels Sprouts until I served them those.

I like them oiled and roasted. I mean everything is good fried in fat, but I have a limited number of arteries to clog. :p

I wonder if you could chop raw bacon and toss it with them and let it cook along with them? Oops, bacon fat. I do have my weaknesses. Just a little, pretty pleeeeze?

I save the bacon fat to fry things like Brussels once in a while. Try adding some thinly sliced apples and bacon to your sprouts and get ready to enjoy!

I think what's happened is someone finally started cooking them the right way. Not boiling them into a horrible mess, but pan frying or roasting them in an oven. The garbage I remember frrom the 70's and 80's smelled horrible and tasted even worse. A few years ago, I watched some cooking show, I don't remember which one, where the chef talked about how they were really delicious but had been ruined by the "boiling to death" and showed an alternative which was to chop in half or quarters if they were bigger, drizzle some olive oil on them, salt and pepper and throw them in the oven until they started getting browned... delicious! I never saw kids fight over Brussels Sprouts until I served them those.
My story is pretty much the same. Had them boiled (disgusting) boiled with melted butter (still disgusting) than tried the oven method.
What tasted like junk before tasted like "junk food" now as in "too good to be good for you". Had a similar experience with asparagus too.

My story is pretty much the same. Had them boiled (disgusting) boiled with melted butter (still disgusting) than tried the oven method.
What tasted like junk before tasted like "junk food" now as in "too good to be good for you". Had a similar experience with asparagus too.

Who knew that asparagus were as good as Cheetos if you cook them the right way? AND... to top it off, no stupid tall boiling pot and mess. I learned to put them on a sheet pan lined with a piece of parchment paper, lightly drizzle with olive oil, pepper and a light dusting of grated Parmesan cheese then 15 minutes in the oven... holy shit those things are good. Then you just remove and crumple up the parchment paper and half the time, you don't even have to wash the pan!

EDIT... Hot oven 400F

Who knew that asparagus were as good as Cheetos if you cook them the right way? AND... to top it off, no stupid tall boiling pot and mess. I learned to put them on a sheet pan lined with a piece of parchment paper, lightly drizzle with olive oil, pepper and a light dusting of grated Parmesan cheese then 15 minutes in the oven... holy shit those things are good. Then you just remove and crumple up the parchment paper and half the time, you don't even have to wash the pan!

EDIT... Hot oven 400F

Now asparagus has always tasted like tough grass to me until recently my son-in-law cooked some up for me (oven Method) and now
I can't get enough of it. The only draw back is it sure sticks when ya go to relieve yourself. stars.gif

Since today is Easter & April Fool's Day, we are making cake pops with brussels sprout centers & dark chocolate covering...just as a tricky treat for the grandkids. :)

Love b.s. steamed with butter and garlic and its bigger cousin the cabbage I cook in a slow cooker with corned beef and stewed tomatoes ,tasty tasty.

Back
Top Bottom