1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Another console followed me home...

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by Naptown Rob, Jul 23, 2011.

1. WarrGo

WarrGo Active Member

This is funny. My. wife said after reading this she thinks I am already there. crazy cat lady that is.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

Mine has been putting up with my stuff for 29 years now. It's a good thing we don't have much money or I'd be out looking to by an old Corvair to restore. (I'm waiting for the 12" cast Iron Frying pan to come sailing across the room). I saw a 66 Corsa (with Turbo) Hardtop last weekend that was absolutely GORGEOUS! My feet were definately itching, and it wasn't athlete's feet either.

I ran it all night, and it's held up fine. No hum except what little I get from the TT, but I know what that is. TT runs at correct speed by strobe, and after cleaning and oiling it, it even cycles without slowing down. This one must not have gotten much use, as the cam roller was free. They usually gum up and freeze, causing the TT to hang in midcycle.

Found the complete schematics (tuner included) on Elektrotanya. Fwd'ed a copy to Jon for inclusion on the FISHERCONSOLE site. It's the Sam's schematics only. No alignment or bias adjustment specs.

Larry

3. Naptown Rob

Naptown Rob Ponographer

Hey Larry - Don't forget to update your signature!:yes:

4. buglegirl

buglegirl In The Direction Of The Singularity Subscriber

Larry,

As to the label on the back. I should be able to get to this in a day or so after I get someone to help me move mine out from the wall. The model will be a bit different. And mine has a little tear in it.

Maybe rwjojo has a better version as well.

Picture of mine from far away.

[​IMG]

Frannie

5. larryderouin

Thanks Fran and Rob. No rush, just something I'd like to have on the back. It's been running just about non stop since sunday. I replaced the Voltage doubler diodes and put in a 100uf 350V Radial in place of the Cardboard can (until I can stuff it.) Also replaced a couple of chipped resistors. Also added a Test point for a meter to check the Bias Voltage. Took the Handles off the front, Wire brush on a bench grinder, then Clear Lacquer.

I used a towel and Steam Iron to loosen the old lacquer and scraped it off the top. Sanded lightly to clean it up, and remove the scratches. 2 coats of Tung Oil. It's now on 2nd coat of Lacquer with scuff sand between coats. Top looks good so far. 2-3 more coats and it should be fine.

Due to the bottom corner damage to the veneer and the backing wood, I'll have to build up the base then veneer the sides and front edge. Other than that, I'm gonna leave it as is and Howards Restore a Finish the front and the rest that hasn't been touched.

Larry

Attached Files:

6. Naptown Rob

Naptown Rob Ponographer

Beautiful work Larry!

7. marloubow

marloubow Best Day Ever

Very nice Larry. That wood grain on top is beautiful.
    Quality inside and out. Seems to follow a trend with Fishers.
    On the lookout for a Fisher console.
    Excellent score! :thmbsp:

martin

8. larryderouin

Thanks guys. It's come out better than I thought it would initially. Martin, If you can find an Executive Cabinet, you can put your 800 inside. The 63 & 64 Models used the 800C. The 62 model used an 800B.

I put my 400 in a 61 Coronet II cabinet. Orignally it's designed for a 500S or a SA16/100T combination. But the 400 works really well in it. It looks right.

Larry

9. larryderouin

The top is finished, except for a final buff out. Will let it set for a week or two. Making up a cap list. The front and sides got wiped down with "Light" Olde English for now until I can get some Howards Restore a finish. The front is in exceptional shape. The side panels have the usual corner damage you'd expect in some units this old. Fisher used a rough flaky pressboard. As long as it's not dried out it stays together nicely. All 4 lower corners are rounded off and have to be rebuilt, then veneered on the sides and the front edge. So it's a winter project for that. The rounding is such that I'd have to remove the original veneer, and build up the corners with a sawdust/epoxy mix , sand and reveneer. [​IMG]

Those little cardboard strips used to hold the wiring down, were replaced with strips of worn out sanding belt. Works well and can be reused WITHOUT tearing. [​IMG]

The Garrard AT6 took little work. There wasn't really anything to do other than to oil it up and make sure the cam follower roller was free, and the spindle bearing was oiled. The idler and pulley were cleaned. Idler looked fairly new, supple, and crack free. I strobed it and the speed is right on. [​IMG]

The red test point is for checking the BIAS Voltage on the outputs. [​IMG] The Dial lights were replaced with new lights. The old one's were 6.3V and too bright. These are less bright and more appropriate. [​IMG]

The back panel sealing the speaker enclosure is flaking off on the edges, so just to keep them intact(shedding anymore) I pulled it, and sprayed with Rustoleum "Almond Satin" until I can fab a new piece from 1/2" ply. Pretty good match for color.

Sound wise, the CE VIII I have (hybrid) is very close to what this one sounds like. the VIII doesn't have as much overall bass, but other than that they both sound alike. Mids are somewhat subdued in both, and the high's come on late with the treble control. But the VIII has been recapped (including the speakers) so that might have something to do with it.

Larry

Attached Files:

10. Naptown Rob

Naptown Rob Ponographer

How do you like the Russian output tubes?

11. larryderouin

Right now I'm still kind of on the fence. I haven't' listened to it with the other set of 6bq5's yet. They sound good tho. Quite a lot of Bass, but that might also be the caps too. When I get it recapped, I think then would be the time for an A/B.

Larry

12. larryderouin

Just on a whim, I connected my WS-1's to it last night and spread them out to almost the corners of the room about 6ft high. WHOA! The Mid's and High's really come out and it fills out the dreaded "hole in the middle". They are definately an improvement on the cabinet tweets and mids. But I still have to recap the xovers.

Rob; Knowing you have a pair, you might want to try them out on the executive (providing it has the connections).

Larry

13. larryderouin

The TT developed a Hell of a hum on the right side last night. Traced it down to a bad 4 pin connector INSIDE the TONEARM on the AT-6. HOO BOY! Now I have to find an AT-6 Donor for parts, Or just solder the wires DIRECT TO THE HEADSHELL. Not that I want to do the 2nd option, but it is an option. I want to keep it original as possible.

Waiting on a reply to query from South Street Service. Hopefully they have the part.

I recapped the AMP Can Caps with separates y'day. Sounding better.

General question. Is 40-45 seconds Cold Startup normal for this amp/tuner combo? My 400 gets sound in about 17 seconds, and none of my other tube gear takes more than 25 seconds to get sound. Seems a bit slow to me.

Larry

14. audiodon

audiodon Addicted Member

If it's cathode biased, that could explain the length of time it takes to warm up.

15. larryderouin

It's not biased like the 400.

[​IMG]

I presume this is cathode biased?

Larry

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  16. larryderouin

The cabinet finally started to disintegrate on the sides. Had to make a couple of plywood doublers to go on the inside of the side panels so it would hold together. It's not a candidate for restoration now. I found a beautiful 1964 Custom Electra VII Modern in Va. BCH. Turns out it has a bad power transformer so I yanked it out for a rebuild and installed the guts from the OLD CE VII in it. Turns out the Serials on the tuners and amps are less than 300 apart!! So I've got a new cabinet for the C.E.VII and a spare amp/tuner for it with speakers and a AT-6. The old cabinet will be opened up inside, a plywood back installed across the whole back, and the solid part of the top hinged with the support, and used by my Daughter in law as a blanket locker at their cabin in W.VA. Once the inside is stripped and the back on, she's gonna line it in cedar. Hopefully it'll survive the 6 hr trip to the cabin.

17. labios

labios AK Subscriber Subscriber

there's a nice Fisher E-48 Electra at an estate sale in the Bay Area this weekend, i just posted it in Dollars and Sense. I don't have time to get out there but the pics look good.