Another dissapointment from another U.S. manufacturer: Schiit

Status
Not open for further replies.

909Hemi

I'm 0-for-2 with my USA-made stuff lately; this time it's Schiit Audio. April 2015 I bought a new Modi 2 DAC. It took a shit, it's no longer usable, and Schiit says "tough luck". 2-year warranty and my unit made it 2 years and 10 months. I will never buy another Schiit product!
I ordered a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100... we'll see how long it lasts!

I'm 0-for-2 with my USA-made stuff lately; this time it's Schiit Audio. April 2015 I bought a new Modi 2 DAC. It took a shit, it's no longer usable, and Schiit says "tough luck". 2-year warranty and my unit made it 2 years and 10 months. I will never buy another Schiit product!
Bummer.

Curious though, how does a DAC break?

Good luck with the Cambridge Audio DAC. You may need it, since Cambridge builds all their products in China. :-(

Will they not service it? Out of warranty is out of warranty. Yes it sucks that it died as soon as it did, I would be bummed also. But a warranty has to end sometime. Why put a date on it if you are going to repair it for free after that date passes.

But if they will repair it for a fee, then that is fair. Now if they won't fix it, then that is a different scenario.

Regards
Mister Pig

You might try using one of the other digital inputs to see if perhaps you have an intermittent cable.
I've done everything, replaced everything... even the PC! There is an extensive thread on my exact problem with the Modi right here, and yes I went thru everything, had everything happen exactly the same way as the OP on that thread> https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb-dac-not-detecting-even-through-powered-hub-modi-wyrd.766792/

And yes; I've been in touch with Schiit about all of this too...

For the price of the entry level Schiit products ... I would just consider it disposable. Maybe that's just me.
I know it sucks to have a product go Tango Uniform 10 months out of warranty (been there before)...but ... it's just a roll of the bones.

Hopefully you'll have better luck w/ Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100. I've had good
luck w/ Cambridge Audio products.

Yes, having a $99 item go bad is the end of the world. Just might as well find a tall building and put an end to your misery.

Edit: Just noticed you have an Outlaw receiver as well. Good luck with that! I know of someone who has been trying to return his for the past six months.

Yes, having a $99 item go bad is the end of the world. Just might as well find a tall building and put an end to your misery.

Edit: Just noticed you have an Outlaw receiver as well. Good luck with that! I know of someone who has been trying to return his for the past six months.
So, everyone should just resign themselves to crappy made stuff and replace it every 2 years??

Or, "bend over baby, it's that time again."

Well, I'm glad there are companies like Oppo.

My 83 had the disk tray problem and it was *years* out of warranty.

I paid postage to send it to them, they fixed it for free and sent it back FedEx (on their nickel) - had it back the same week.

Guess it depends on how companies view their cred and their customers.

Oppo is just a sales office of a big Chinese Electronics manufacturer (BBK Electronics) - Not a true company.
i think oppo was acquired by a chinese company. and some other products such as smart phones, mp3 players by the chinese company have been branded as oppo since then but its original product line is still there.

And, in fact Outlaw IS the other USA manufacturer I've had (still having!) a problem with! What is going on with your friend's unit?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom