Another Electro Voice Interface D/Sentry VI thread.

BTW, I am currently listening without the EQ. That will be the next step after I know both speakers are working properly.

Speaking of which - does anyone think that I can have the same 'sound experience' without using the EQ? Background is, that I mostly us the Deltas on my AV Receiver because there's no way to implement the EQ in this chain but somehow it doesn't sound like 100%. When I switch to my stereo set up is sounds like it should but does any of you listen without EQ in general?

@MCM_Fan: You're welcome!

OK, both speakers reassembled, all drivers working and the EQ hooked up.

The speakers aren't properly placed in their intended listening location, but the comments about them shaking the foundation of the house aren't exaggerated. I'm just driving them with a little Pioneer SX-737, with the volume control at the 10 o'clock position, listening to Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo and Victor Wooten's bass is causing the glassware in the kitchen cabinets and the glass shelves in the bathroom to rattle. And, they are sitting on carpet right now. I haven't even moved them to the usual listening location on the hardwood floors.

I'm going to have to do some serious vibration isolation before I even attempt to play them this loud anywhere near my turntable.

I just want to add that while the bass is VERY prodigious, it is not at all boomy, not even in the slightest. It's very tight and gives more of the impact of a live performance than any other speakers I've ever owned. I'm not set up to take measurements, but I suspect that the bass response is very flat, with no peaks, down to the rated 28HZ. In other words, I suspect the speakers are performing the way they were designed to perform and the EQ is doing it's job. It's quite impressive.

Although the bass is immediately noticeable, I'm also impressed with the VMR. Female vocals, piano, acoustic guitar and string instruments all sound very realistic.

They are currently placed too close together to comment on the imaging, but I suspect that too will be impressive once they are properly placed.

Congrats MCM_Fan! I can fully agree with the 'bass' experience! The first time when I was able to really hear a bass below 30Hz was when a local band performing in our city and their set up consists of 4 Electro-Voice T18 subwoofers when they tested their bass drum. Then there was silence for a long time until I got the Deltas and there was it again: Hearabble bass under 30Hz :)

In my room something between 3-4 meters distance are working fine.

Keep us posted!

does anyone think that I can have the same 'sound experience' without using the EQ?

My guess is no (not that it will sound "bad" mind you, but you didn't ask would it sound good/bad, you asked if it would sound the same)

The EQ is mated to the output of the port on the bottom to do it's magic (I'm not technical enough to know, much less, explain)

I'm saying above as my 'official' answer. I will admit, I had mine both in/out and couldn't ever perceive a big difference. Not even sure if I could perceive a small difference.

It's been years so it could be a lapse of memory.

I ended up making my LaScalas my primary's so the EV's took a second seat.

Truth be told, I ran the EQ in my loop so it would also affect the signal to the LaScalas.

Heck, at the time, I was in college, listening way too loud and in general, had all four of them going at same time for the maximum effect. No wonder I couldn't discern some differences.

Hi everyone
I just recently got back into thinking if I could enhence my deltas on the low end. I thought it was good with the woofer I have inthere at the moment, but then I saw the frequency respnse of this woofer and saw that it is at 80 hz already with 6db less tha at 350 hz. I thought maybe there is room for improvement. PeterSchutt once suggested a beyma 12 BR 70. But then removing the 2.5 Ohm resistor before the woofer. Do you guys think this beyma will be a big improvement. I will attach the frequency responses of both woofers.

Attachments

• Screenshot (213).png
    Screenshot (213).png
    289.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot (214).png
    Screenshot (214).png
    192.8 KB · Views: 30
Rebooting this old thread because I have restored EV Sentry VI's, and am looking for dimensions on the port cover, and how to turn a Series B eq into the proper D/VI eq. I know it is a long shot, but this site has surprised me countless times before.

I love the sound I have now, and would have to fab up some port covers (mine were missing when bought, but should be easy enough) and the B series EQ was given to me.

At one time, I had found the 4 components needing changed out to make the eq work for the Sentry VI's, but it has been lost in the sea of zeroes and ones.

All help appreciated.

Rebooting this old thread because I have restored EV Sentry VI's, and am looking for dimensions on the port cover, and how to turn a Series B eq into the proper D/VI eq. I know it is a long shot, but this site has surprised me countless times before.

I love the sound I have now, and would have to fab up some port covers (mine were missing when bought, but should be easy enough) and the B series EQ was given to me.

At one time, I had found the 4 components needing changed out to make the eq work for the Sentry VI's, but it has been lost in the sea of zeroes and ones.

All help appreciated.

Perhaps this will help. I converted an Interface B EQ to work with my Interface Ds. In my case, I only needed to swap out 4 resistors (as described in the 4th post in that thread), but I also replaced all of the electrolytic caps (3 in the power supply and 5 in the signal path) with Elna Silmic IIs.

Another possibly stupid question -

Was considering running the eq, once I got it modded, only on the woofers, and powering them with a nice Denon I have, and perhaps powering the upper frequencies with a nice Chi-Fi tube amp. If I did this, I wouldn't need that funky plug, would I ?? Just run speaker leads into the corresponding speaker inputs on back (tho one got mashed some time ago before me). ??

Right now, it's two speaker wires going in, no eq, and still sounds pretty nice. Oh, the possibilities.

Indeed my woofer measures 3,8 Ohm DC
And the 3 Watt is 30 Watt on my system (and it looks like 30W is mentioned in the component description on the schematic)
See attached file for basic schematic with the tube socket connections removed.

Hi Peter! hope you are fine.
I'm the process of renewing the Electrovoice Interface D crossover and would like to get rid of the tube socket connection and replacing some caps.
Does your schema it's the orginial minus the tube socket plug connections or you made any kind of improvement?

I also fear to make a mess changing system ESR (while changing caps) taken into account during the project phase of the crossover.
I won't touch all the wires and ofc use same value caps.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
I'd probably even remove the 1/4-1/2 space switch and the high end attenuation one. Do you know how are those attached to the wooden box?
Are those glued? it seems taking a pic from the inside there's no screws and i don't want to end up damaging the printed face on the exterior.
Thank you in advance.

@FrankZappa82 I wish I could help ya. I'm still hoping someone will give me the port dimensions, so I can make my own covers, or at least stuff with something, now that I got the EQ fixed. Good luck.

@FrankZappa82 I wish I could help ya. I'm still hoping someone will give me the port dimensions, so I can make my own covers, or at least stuff with something, now that I got the EQ fixed. Good luck.
Hi James! with the "port" you mean the hole just above the crossover? I'd be very glad to help here! Tell me and i'll check on my speakers

Hi James! with the "port" you mean the hole just above the crossover? I'd be very glad to help here! Tell me and i'll check on my speakers

The way it was explained to me, using the eq means you have to cover that hole (1 of 2) that has the wingnuts.

I have the wingnuts, but the port covers themselves are not to be found, so I need to make some of my own. I REALLY don't want to disassemble that headache again, but I'll never be satisfied if I don't. I guess when I have them apart I could measure, but was hoping maybe someone could measure their own, tell me the dimensions, and I might be able to slide them in place without disassembly.

If you should have yours out, a pictures and/or measurements would allow me to try. I seem to be great at working extra hard to be lazy.

Ciao a tutti dall'Italia,

sono finalmente riuscito ad entrare in possesso di una coppia di Interface Delta , il proprietario ha appena rifatto i foam del woofer , non ho il suo equalizzatore ma ho provveduto ad acquistarne uno in UK che provvederò a confermare appena arrivato ( resistenze e condensatori).
Nonostante abbia letto quasi tutti i thread a proposito di questi magnifici speaker ho ancora molta confusione e vorrei chiedere un aiuto .

Vorrei fare un Recapping dei condensatori del crossover e vorrei avere se possibile la lista precisa di quelli da sostituire , quantità , tipo , valori .
Vorrei anche un chiarimento sul discorso della seconda porta del reflex la devo aprire solo se utilizzare il suo equalizzatore o la possibilità di aprire lo stesso ?
Benefici e controindicazioni ?
A volte mi sembra che nel messaggio musicale il woofer sia un po ''scollato'' dal medio credo che questo sia dovuto forse dal tipo di caricamento del woofer posizionato sotto il diffusore, vi sono per caso modifiche che si possono fare sul crossover a tale proposito? Mi piacerebbe anche rendere gli st350 un po più brillanti , sono attualmente abituato con una coppia di Zingali 9010 le quali hanno i tweeter JBL 2405 .

Ringrazio chiunque potesse darmi le informazioni richieste.

Buona Musica

Luca

Ciao a tutti dall'Italia,

sono finalmente riuscito ad entrare in possesso di una coppia di Interface Delta , il proprietario ha appena rifatto i foam del woofer , non ho il suo equalizzatore ma ho provveduto ad acquistarne uno in UK che provvederò a confermare appena arrivato ( resistenze e condensatori).
Nonostante abbia letto quasi tutti i thread a proposito di questi magnifici speaker ho ancora molta confusione e vorrei chiedere un aiuto .

Vorrei fare un Recapping dei condensatori del crossover e vorrei avere se possibile la lista precisa di quelli da sostituire , quantità , tipo , valori .
Vorrei anche un chiarimento sul discorso della seconda porta del reflex la devo aprire solo se utilizzare il suo equalizzatore o la possibilità di aprire lo stesso ?
Benefici e controindicazioni ?
A volte mi sembra che nel messaggio musicale il woofer sia un po ''scollato'' dal medio credo che questo sia dovuto forse dal tipo di caricamento del woofer posizionato sotto il diffusore, vi sono per caso modifiche che si possono fare sul crossover a tale proposito? Mi piacerebbe anche rendere gli st350 un po più brillanti , sono attualmente abituato con una coppia di Zingali 9010 le quali hanno i tweeter JBL 2405 .

Ringrazio chiunque potesse darmi le informazioni richieste.

Buona Musica

Luca

Hello, and welcome to AudioKarma !!

Perhaps put your comments in a google translator, so others will be more likely to reply.

Congrats on a fine pair of speakers, and feel free to ask questions (preferably in English, not too many Italian speaking members, sadly)

Best wishes.

Hello everyone from Italy, (translated for our new friend Luca)

I finally managed to get hold of a pair of Interface Delta, the owner has just redone the woofer foam, I don't have its equalizer but I bought one in the UK which I will modify as soon as it arrives (resistors and capacitors).
Although I have read almost all the threads about these great speakers I still have a lot of confusion and would like to ask for help.

I would like to make a recap of the crossover capacitors and if possible I would like to have the precise list of those to be replaced, quantity, type, values.
I would also like a clarification on the subject of the second door of the reflex do I have to open it only if I use its equalizer or can I open it anyway?
Benefits and contraindications?
Sometimes it seems to me that in the musical message the woofer is a bit 'unglued' from the middle I think this is perhaps due to the type of loading of the woofer positioned under the speaker, there are by chance changes that can be made on the crossover to this what about? I'd also like to make the st350s a little brighter, I'm currently used to a pair of Zingali 9010s which have JBL 2405 tweeters.

I thank anyone who could give me the information requested.

Good music

Ciao
grazie, pensavo che come capita a me google traduce direttamente la pagina.
Sappiamo di avere risposte a ciò che ho chiesto.
Grazie ancora
Luca

Back
Top Bottom