Another ESS AMT-1a pyramid rebuild thread

Loaded question. The Thorens is much quieter now that I added a base (on spikes, atop my new Massif rack). Still need to do same to the XA, but the XA has a barely discernible motor hum. I also have a better cartridge on the Thorens, and it's easier to change from 33 to 45. Eventually, I'd like to have MM on one and MC on the other.
"Loaded question" ? I hadn't had a drink since 8:32 that morning. "Rhetorical" would be more appropriate. I figured that the Thorens would be the better of the two.

That is a question, and it is your question, but it's not the question. For most Americans, a camera is no longer necessary. I've (professionally) printed gorgeous 8x10 photos from my iPhone 6SE. So, in a way, silver already is obsolete. We don't need the gelatin emulsion on the plastic substrate, we don't need it on our photo papers, and we don't need it in our drains and rivers and oceans. We don't need it any more than we don't need our preferred speaker (mine is ESS). I don't actually need the Devore Fidelity Orangutan o/93, nor can I afford it, but I want it. Similarly, I don't want the speakers that are attached to my TV. I can afford to not listen to my TV speakers.

My last reply hinted at but didn't specifically mention the controls and the process. Instead of looking at sensors or silver or other light-sensitive emulsions, large format photographers look at perspective control. Medium format wedding photographers look at a kind of shallow depth of field that can only be simulated with digital in Photoshop (not everyone can afford or find the Canon 50/.95). Most cameras are just a light-tight box. Our phones now do much of the same work, to less precision. But to those who show in gallery, in magazines, on billboards--a camera is still necessary. We're not yet to the point of realistic blacks. Silver exposed to light, and the filters that control how, remain the champ--to those of us who know the difference.

When will our eyes deceive us? We're already there. If you own an LCD TV and never dialed in your white balance or had it calibrated, you're already there. No different than going to BB and buying a pair of Polk OTS speakers. Better than anything else you've heard, but you've not heard much.

Audio, as in digital jaggies versus digital? Shlt, I just want vinyl with the free digi download! One for the home, one for the metro into the city...

Thanks! Those bigguns in the background are the elusive ESS Transar. I'm missing an external crossover and a proprietary 5-pin, XLR-like cable. I'm close to acquiring them and firing these bad boys up!

Gelatin-silver printing will never be exceeded by digital technology. It is, of course, within the scope of current digital science and technology to one day match the luster of gelatin-silver, however, the research and development (principally in chemistry) that would be necessary would be prohibitively expensive. Black and white is simply no longer an important element of the overall photographic market — there would be no way to justify such an expenditure. They'd never even make their money back, much less realize a profit. So I don't see it happening anytime in the near future. The reality is that gelatin-silver emulsion embedded in the appropriate paper is physically (as in physics) different than ink. It has to do with the physics of optics and reflected light, but the visual capabilities of gelatin-silver cannot be replicated by ink sitting on top of paper, plastic, or any other substrate, or by any present-day inks, in any context. This isn't my opinion, it's a matter of demonstrated scientific fact. On the other hand, in the color, 35mm format, film is essentially obsolete. I use an 11x14 inch camera with black and white film. A large format negative, contact printed (which is what I do) on gelatin-silver paper has even more optical factors that affect how a viewer perceives a print — and they are spectacular! But in color, digital technology is astounding. If I worked in color, I doubt I'd ever expose another sheet of film. Don't you think I'd jump at a chance to stop carrying around 90 pounds of equipment every time I want to make a photograph? Even in the scientific arena, with its frequent need for high resolution images, digital has essentially replaced film. But black and white is such an insignificant fragment of the overall market, there will be large format film for as long as at least some people continue to appreciate its unique qualities. Of course, it is unfortunate, as previously stated, that black and white photography is environmentally destructive. However, I'm not addressing that issue, which is already settled science. But optically, gelatin-silver paper is unique. Black and white prints from a digital printer never quite equal their counterparts. It is not only easy to tell them apart, it's difficult to ignore the difference when they are side by side.

Time for an update: these speakers have been shelved. They're great, but I got my Transar running. Anyway, as for these, I gutted the crossovers. When hooked up, I'm running these in a bi-amp setup with a MIniDSP, solid state down bottom, tubes up top. They're perfect. There isn't an ESS AMT-X in the country that sounds better. Pics and videos soon.

I know this thread is dated, but i too am trying to rebuild my AMT 1a's. My attempt, maybe, is to rebuild the current passive crossover.....but in my first exposure to the brand I auditioned a pair that were bi-amped with a mid-bass woofer added making it a 3 way speaker. The tweeter was paired with a Eton 5.5 in mid-bass via passive crossover the active crossover with the bass. the Eton is an excellent match for the tweeter though pricey. The amt's were then again biamped with a concrete manifold infinite baffled sud system with 8 - 12 inch subs. I must say that was the most dynamic system that I have EVER. I shite my pants on the 1812 overture!
Anyway....it can be done yielding unbelievable results

Infinite Baffle.....google cult of the infinitely baffeled! Be warned once you start that road, you will never come back!

http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/

Time for an update: these speakers have been shelved. They're great, but I got my Transar running. Anyway, as for these, I gutted the crossovers. When hooked up, I'm running these in a bi-amp setup with a MIniDSP, solid state down bottom, tubes up top. They're perfect. There isn't an ESS AMT-X in the country that sounds better. Pics and videos soon.

Any updates?
Pictures?
Videos?

The MiniDSP bi-amped AMT-1a is in my main rig while the Transars are once again on the DL. Seems to be a recurring problem.

Anyway, here's a festive video from December 2018:

I've since sold the Decware ZKIT amp pictured and am running an HH Scott LK-150 to power the AMT tweeters. Same Emotiva XPA-2g2 powering the lows.

Here is the most recent photo:
B5B_mdoJs-n
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5B_mdoJs-n/

I know this thread is dated, but i too am trying to rebuild my AMT 1a's. My attempt, maybe, is to rebuild the current passive crossover.....but in my first exposure to the brand I auditioned a pair that were bi-amped with a mid-bass woofer added making it a 3 way speaker. The tweeter was paired with a Eton 5.5 in mid-bass via passive crossover the active crossover with the bass. the Eton is an excellent match for the tweeter though pricey. The amt's were then again biamped with a concrete manifold infinite baffled sud system with 8 - 12 inch subs. I must say that was the most dynamic system that I have EVER. I shite my pants on the 1812 overture!
Anyway....it can be done yielding unbelievable results

Infinite Baffle.....google cult of the infinitely baffeled! Be warned once you start that road, you will never come back!

http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/

Sounds cool, but I'm good. That's too much work to redo the baffle, design a crossover, etc. I'll stick with my Transar and a sub for freqs lower than 150hz. Boom, instant, tri-amped 3-way with speedy mids as the good Dr. (Heil) designed.

Back
Top Bottom