another Flexi rack thread

+1 on McMaster-Carr; lot of choices on their site. I made a mid-weight rack using 1" regular thread rod, acorn nuts for feet, with 3/4" Baltic birch shelves.

rack.jpg

very nice rack. I like the 1" rod. Looks massive.

Might try Fastenal Company.

I have a Fastenal around the corner but I have found their prices very high.

Gotta keep this thread going! I guess 1" copper would cover 5/8" allthread & hardware? I have a really ugly mdf shelved flexi that needs a refurb.I think I can re-work some birch ply shelves into something presentable.

Gotta keep this thread going! I guess 1" copper would cover 5/8" allthread & hardware? I have a really ugly mdf shelved flexi that needs a refurb.I think I can re-work some birch ply shelves into something presentable.
I would think 3/4" copper pipe would do the trick for the rod. If you wanted to cap the nuts, you would have to go to 1 1/4" and for that, you will be paying big money. I was pricing some copper caps at the plumbing distributor and 1 1/2" was about $30 +, IIRC.

very nice rack. I like the 1" rod. Looks massive.

Thanks. I wanted to use even larger diameter rod (like the Mapleshade racks have) but if I recall, there was a significant price difference for rod/nuts in the next size up.
The 1" is heavy enough and the rack is very rigid and sturdy.

I would think 3/4" copper pipe would do the trick for the rod. If you wanted to cap the nuts, you would have to go to 1 1/4" and for that, you will be paying big money. I was pricing some copper caps at the plumbing distributor and 1 1/2" was about $30 +, IIRC.

I think you could go with the 3/4" over the all thread then solder on 3/4" to 1" enlargers to cover the nuts.

Here's mine.... 3/4" oak plywood, 3/4" allthread, 1 1/2 inch plastic pipe painted semi-flat black, a little stain and edge molding......

Attachments

• S5300066.jpg
    S5300066.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 478
Looks like John. I like the heft of the black tube. Since I do live near Detroit, I should just go down there and steel copper pipe out of abandoned houses. Everybody else does it.

Looks like John. I like the heft of the black tube. Since I do live near Detroit, I should just go down there and steel copper pipe out of abandoned houses. Everybody else does it.

Thanks.

Better take a friend or two with you!:D

We use 1"-8NC zinc plated all thread here at work, so I had them put three more 12' sticks on the last order. I'm going to cut it up into 4' chunks and make two flexi racks. It cost $4.40/ft ($52.80/12 ft), which I thought was kind of steep, but I see it for $73.63/12 ft in McMaster-Carr #116.

I'll see how it goes, I've though about cladding the threaded portion with painted lengths of conduit.

great deal Jeffery. If you include shipping in the McMasters order it would be a WHOLE LOT more than that.

Still sounds like a deal. A friend of mine and local artist called this morning to invite me to a trip to the local scrap yard soon. Might be finding some good scrap for the legs. Never know what shows up when we go there.

Best price I saw by far was at menards of all places. I buy all my "long" metals there for my welding projects etc..

Here is mine. Maple plywood with maple banding. Used 5/8 rod and polished wire conduit. I just got some axle sleeves with hex set screws to eliminate spinning on all the nuts.

Attachments

• IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 380
Here is my previous rack with black painted 1 1/2 inch MDF, 5/8 rod, brass tubing and brass nuts. Gave it to a friend.

Attachments

• IMG00033-20100103-1653.jpg
    IMG00033-20100103-1653.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 328
This was my first try a long time ago. Same construction as the previous post.

Attachments

• DSC02184.jpg
    DSC02184.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 279
Best price I saw by far was at menards of all places. I buy all my "long" metals there for my welding projects etc..

I've never seen a Menards in Michigan.

Here is mine. Maple plywood with maple banding. Used 5/8 rod and polished wire conduit. I just got some axle sleeves with hex set screws to eliminate spinning on all the nuts.

I like the silver of the conduit.

This was my first try a long time ago. Same construction as the previous post.

I really like the brass look.

I wonder if they seeped in from WI? I'll have to look at there site and see if there are any around here. My three daughters went to NMU and one is still there. She plays in a band called LogJam.

Back
Top Bottom