Another Floroscan Receiver!

outlawmws

On the Run
I got a decent unit at a yard sale today. An SX 3800 Flouroscan reciver. It was a bit dirty, and had the plug end cut off, but the owner claimed it worked. He wouldn't budge on the price, ( had to ask since I couldn't test it) But he promised to buy it back if it didn't work, so I paid him the $15 and took it home. :smoke:

I'll get SWMBO to shoot some pics tomorrow. With a new plug cord wire-nutted on, (I'l also get a real plug tomorrow... :D ) It fired right up, all lights good. My son and I cleaned it up and it's looking almost pristine. One small faint scratch in the top rail, and one edge of the veneer starting to lift on one side, which glued back down fine, and its ready to push the SX3700 out of the MBR!

With 60 WPC, a rating of .005 THD, and phono S/N ratio of 115dB. It should be a decent performer. Checked the DC offset and it came in at 2.8 and 14.3 mv. :thmbsp:

I consider the Floroscan series to be about the end of Pioneers golden age. Too bad it wasnt the SX3900, 120 WPC! :banana: Maybe next time! I'd like to have all three higher end units! :yes:

Hey congrats on the score!
I recently came across one myself. Needs some TLC but she's complete!

It's a heavy sucker for a 60 wpc amp. I have a soft spot for nice flouroscan displays!

Here's a nudie of my SX-3800. A lot of dust, mild rust on the trannie and some dead bugs inside :no: She'll clean up just fine hopefully!

Construction is quite different from the previous xx80 series. Less wirewrapping and more "ribbon" connectors. The design was also more dependent on ICs rather than discrete components.

I believe this unit and the SX-3900 had the non-switching circuit so their output stages were radically different as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom