Another Headphones question > Sony

Turbota

I have a set of Sony MDR-V2 headphones that are maybe 13 years old. The 'puffy' leather earcup pads have deteriorated on them. For a temp. fix, I installed some of those very thin foam pads that I got from a set of Airline headphones they give you on a flight.

I don't know if these headphones are a very good quality set, but they are very comfortable, and sound nice.

Question: Anyone know where I could get replacement ear pads for these headphones?

Do you think these headphones are worth spending any money on?

Thanks,

If they're comfortable and sound good to you they're way ahead of most headphones already. It's probably not possible to get replacement pads, although a call to Sony service would confirm this. You might find replacement pads from another brand - Sennheisers fit Grado for instance - but I think you have a good solution already with the free airplane ones.

Cheers

I also have a nice pair of Sony cans (mdr-v6) that lost the foam long ago. I had to replace the leather-plastic pads with ones from a more modern pair of Sonys. The bass reponse definitely suffered from the change.

If you find out that Sony still has them in stock, LMK.

BTW The cheap Sony headphones of the early 90s-late 80s are exceptional for the price they charged for them. Stereophile recommended a $30 pair around '88 and the V6 in '91 or so.

Sony does still offer replacement ear pads. BTW: They used a few different monikers for the same identical phones over the years. Anyway, expect to pay up to $30 for a pair from the Sony Service Center.

Originally posted by Turbota
I have a set of Sony MDR-V2 headphones that are maybe 13 years old. The 'puffy' leather earcup pads have deteriorated on them. For a temp. fix, I installed some of those very thin foam pads that I got from a set of Airline headphones they give you on a flight.

As I said earlier, the better Sony headphones (MDR-V6 & V2) are quite good. Stereophile often recommended a pair or two in their lists.

Secondly, while perusing the decidedly low-fi junk at a garage sale, I found a pair of Coby CV-600 headphones with earpads that were 3.25 inches across. They fit my V6s with a little stretching. The V6 pads should be oval but these round ones were "close enough". They might even fit your V2s. They are much closer to the original pads than the weird air cushion ones I had. You are probably missing a good deal of bass with the airline pads you have.

Yeah I could have bought the proper ones from some Sony parts seller for $20 plus shipping but the Cobys were right in front of me and they only cost 50 cents!

Back
Top Bottom