Another imbecile Seller on eBay Part II!! (pics)

Update: Good news, bad news, good news. Amp arrived overprotected by my packing. Upon plugging in the unit, which was promised to be "in fine working order, 100% functional," I quickly realized it was anything but. I doubt it had been used in years. All pots were very, very noisy. Volume knob was pure static. Luckily, with some work, actually a lot of work, and contact spray on pots, etc., everything seems to be ok. But come on, telling me that the amp is 100% functional? Please. I didn't leave feedback. My days of buying audio components on eBay may be over. It just seems like such a crapshoot. The prices on many items seem inflated, and overall it is less than a satisfying experience. I wish it was otherwise, but my experiences have been less than positive. :thumbsdn:

I had the same experience on my latest eBay purchase a Technics SL 1300MK2. Seller stated that it had been in storage for about a year but he had tried it out before auction and everything worked, he even played a few records to confirm. One of the bidders posted a question asking if the cueing worked and if it didn't it wasn't worth a damn as it would cost $170 to repair and without cueing the auto feature wouldn't work correctly. Seller responded that it worked but sometimes a bit slow. I did my own research on the seller and TT and made a bid which I won. He packed it extremely well per my requests and it arrived via USPS safe and sound. Unfortunately the cueing did not work, the stylus was totally shot and no sound to the right channel. Checked out the litigation process thru eBay/PayPal and decided to try directly thru the seller. After explaining to him the condition was not "as stated" in his ad he agreed to refund my money after I returned the TT or refund 1/2 my total cost. I elected with the 1/2 off as he also included the shipping charges and I wanted it. I gave him high feedback ratings other than the item description. I expected a fight but he was very understanding and willing to work with me on all facits of the deal. :thmbsp:

Some Ebay experiences

Red the Thread,

I have been buying large Sansui Iron for several years with mixed but positive results. Just had a good experience with seller in NC. He shipped me a CA/BA-2000 pair. Both are pretty heavy, the BA tips the scale at 45lbs. The "working" CA had two bent swithes and some really dirty pots and switches. We negotiated a discount and he refunded it to my PP account. I find that a reasonable but firm position always works out with this kind of thing. Both units were 2x boxed and pretty well. I have come to the conclusion that unless the shipper uses foam corners and then bubble wraps then double boxes its a 50/50 proposition. The 9090DB I just scored from a reasonable seller is being packed by FedEx! He told me that unless he has them pack it getting a claim paid is near impossible. We will see.

Steve

Just received a letter from the USPS stating that the seller of the 1300MK2 filed a damage claim with them and they want me to bring the packaging and unit in for inspection. If they don't hear from me in 30 days the claim will be denied. He had insured for $150. Some people have the nerve!

Read the thread.....

My best ever ebay story was a Beocenter 9500 carefully packed in a plastic tupperware type bin from target with holes drilled into it and tie-wrapped shut.

Yep, it was smashed to hell. Should have just taped the shipping label to the top of the unit itself.

Fortunately most of my ebay experiences have been good.

Marc

You guys are killing me. I'm waiting on both a Sansui 8080DB and a Yamaha CR1020 I won on Ebay. Now you guys have me thinking they both will come in multiple pieces. :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom