Another INFINITYs back to ROCK !!!!

elnaldo

Lunatic Member
I know you like this !!!

After some months, my Qb's are alive again !!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Some of you will remember the first pictures:
Indecent pictures of my damaged Qb's
First failed try to rebuild Qb's cabinets...

But yesterday they came to life again !!!!
A speaker builder removed the bad done baffle, reinforced the back adding another 1/2' mdf, and placed a new and thicker baffle.

Not finished yet, I need to seal everything properly, but they are playing quite good !!! :music:

1_P1060627.jpg

2_P1060626.jpg

3_P1060629.jpg

4_P1060633.jpg

We salute you ...

5_P1060636.jpg

6_P1060617.jpg

Replaced weak electrolytic with MONSTER film cap ...
7_P1060621.jpg

Replaced thin aluminium wires with 13 AWG copper wire
Replaced original poly cap (tweeter) with a new Clarity Cap.
(I think it was not neccesary anyway)
Moved midrange coil further from the woofer iron core coil.
Added 0.1 uF by-passes to both caps... (not finished in the picture)
8_P1060623.jpg

MIRRORED, OF COURSE !
And they match colour whith the floor !!!
9_P1060648.jpg

Last edited:
Good show Enaldo! Mirror imaged to boot.
Reinforcing the cabinet and changing out the midrange capacitor really opened up my Qb's and took them to a better level.

I reccaped only one, to listen to the difference, and of course the main diff. is in the midrange, since the woofer and tweeter didn't change (the orig cap seems to be still good)

Listening to some Aretha Franklin... the vocals are the bigger difference. With other kind of record it's harder to say... My amp is a mid-fi anyway.

I don't have stands yet, so I just placed on the floor, started to listen, OK, quite good. Then I took 2 chairs and placed them on the chairs ...

WHAT - A - DIFFERENCE !!!! I WAS DEAF FOR 19 YEARS !!!!! Thanks AK !!! I didn't know about that before joining this forum !!!!

Last edited:
Looks like your getting those bad boys back in the game. Good to see another set of Infinity Q speakers playing again.

Woo-hoo ...

Excellent work, great project, and good experimenting with placement - you're getting there :banana:

Placement is just for the picture !!! :D

Detail of the replaced wires...
P1060658.JPG

Sealed woofer (and midrange, not in the pictures...)
P1060660.JPG

I didn't find black rubber...
P1060661.JPG

P1060663.JPG

Thank's.

New logos and stands are coming...

Actually I want to give the appropiate credits to the guy that made all the woodworking, his name is Jose Luis, he is a speaker builder near my neighborhood, here is his web-site (no affiliation, he did the job, I paid for it, but I'm very grateful he made this possible)
He build his own drivers from scratch also.
His father was a carpenter, he studied electronics, and he join those 2 things in this speaker building business.

Last edited:
Logos !!!

I've lost one of them, so I had to re-build or re-do them in any way... my first idea was to do a replica in laser ingraved steel like this... they will look very cool !!

http://www.grabolaser.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/llaveros-metal.jpg

But a friend of mine offered me an option for free, so I've tried :)

First picture, original metallic logo, and ink-jet prints of a scanned image of the original :)

logoP1060869.JPG

He covered the paper with this "resin".... not easy to take pictures, but they look very nice !!

logoP1060873.JPG

logoP1060874.JPG

logoP1060875.JPG

Speaker Stands will take a bit longer....

Look very nice

About the stands remember when I replied on the stands and posted a picture?
You wanted to have them tilt up a bit. On my Q5s the speaker is not tilted back.

I just got a pair of Qas with the stands and guess what? They do tilt back, so it has to do with the weight of the speaker,
the Qas are really light I would bet almost half as much as the Q5s.

The Qas sound pretty decent for a two way speaker. Been thinking about making them into a three way.....

Great work/save; those look beautiful! Congratulations! :thmbsp:

Very clever and effective job on making those badges, too; they look great, and must have been very cheap, done that way.

Have you told Jose Luis about AK, or is he a member here? Sounds like he ought to be a member, and perhaps (depending on his business size) a sponsor? He could probably contribute some of his knowledge, and gain some customers in return; win-win for everyone. Just an idea.

Yes, Goat, I remember the post, I took the measures from there, and remember you wrote that actually they lean a bit to the front, but Iĺl make it a bit to the back, and add a "platform" to hold the weight, I don't trust the entire cabinet hanging from 3 screws in the MDF.... But they'll look like the Infinity advertisement :D :D

The Qas sound pretty decent for a two way speaker. Been thinking about making them into a three way.....

It seems very easy to do... You just need to find that Philips midrange... I guess it will be the cheaper part of any Qb parted out....
(actually right now there is an auction for 0.99 in the bay...)

Of course the badges where FREE !!!!

I didn't think that way about "rastle-audio"... I'll tell him , thanks !! He teached me many small tips !

Last edited:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

P1070001.JPG

P1070002.JPG

It's 3/16" material (4.75 mm)

I'm not sure how to pain them yet.... perhaps some spray paint...
Definitely not "powder coating", I want to do it myself...

Back
Top Bottom