Another KR4070 Question

dillon2

Was looking at a thread regarding this receiver and it got me thinking about my own. So I decided to get it back out and fire it up again. When I turned the power on all of the panel lights flickered like there was low voltage and there was a noticeable buzz from the speakers. This only lasted about 15 seconds and then everything was fine. I'm wondering if my filter caps are going bad. I haven't had the covers off yet. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this also.

Sure sounds like the power switch. Being coupled with the speaker selector, it was a weak link. It may need cleaning. :thmbsp:

It's fixed! The power switch was about fried and since it looks like a real PITA to replace and since I don't have one I thought I'd make my own. I just removed one of the convenience outlets from the back and installed a toggle switch in its place. The installation was simple and more importantly the old girl fired right up and sounded wonderful. Thanks guys for all the good kenwood tips! Maybe someday I'll find a new switch and actually solderd one in properly but for now this works well.

You could plug the KR 4070 into a switched power surge strip and use that as the on / off switch for the receiver and cd player, TT etc. This may extent the life of the weak receiver switch. This also makes it easy to unplug you whole system with one plug in case of lightning.

Charlie

Another option is an audio timer. Kenwood made a ton of them and can be found rather cheap these days.

Sorry guys, I seem to have forgotten to post a pic. And since almost every thread is worthless without a photo......here ya go. I didn't think to take any while it was still on the bench unfortunately but here it is running strong again. ( I was having trouble with camera so not as sharp as I would like, sorry)

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 24
KR-4070 Problems please help!!

Was this the one with the intermittent right channel? The advice in this thread may be the first place to look. If it needs more in depth attention, then I suggest that you politely ask AK member EchoWars for some assistance. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom