another Marantz 2220

Bert 1100

Just got this in the mail today, from our swiss auction site.
It seems the 2220 still flies under the radar over here, I got it for a nice price.
It all works nicely but needs a good cleaning. one lamp is out and something must have happened to the vellum paper, part of the display is obscured.
This is my second one, in much better shape than the first one I had. Smells a bit moldy though, but nothing terrible.
They are very pretty and easy to work on and are still cheap compared to other Marantzes of that era.
Still quite heavy !
It will have to wait a bit, but I'll give it a full clean-up, relamp (led) and recap...
Oh, and it looks completely untouched, the trim pots on the amp board still have their seal unbroken, nice !

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

:beerchug:

odd the way the display is obscured in that section, interesting to see what caused it. Good find!

Middle of the desert, 740m up!

i might get my hands on a unused and unloved 2220B. thats if the guy who has it will come off of it...even tho it just been sitting in his garage for 8 years or so.

The 2220 is a great unit. Yours will clean up beautifully. I also will be intrigued to see what's going on behind that dial face. :thumbsup:

Ok, Ok, just had to go and look what was happening with the dial face :D it's now fixed....

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

one screw is missing on one side and the whole lamp assembly had slid down...nothing very exciting, sorry !

Hey, that's what you hope for -- something that will reduce the purchase price for you, but that can be fixed in a few minutes. :thumbsup:

Yep, but it's not always that easy (thinking of my 1060 that ended up needing a whole new amp board...) !

Last edited:
It's rare that I find a Marantz that I can actually listen to before purchase. I generally get them on CL or eBay and have to take the seller's word for condition. Fortunately, most people are honest and describe the flaws in detail. I look for ones where the sound works, but there are cosmetic or lighting issues. That lowers the price and can almost always be fixed. If the sound works in both channels, a recap, relamp and cleaning will usually bring them back to their former glory.

The only pieces I bought after having had a listen were the ones from our thrift store. But I don't have the opportunity to go there as often as I did because I changed my workplace.
Now I mostly buy pieces described as defective, from our auction site, because the cost will be 3 times less and I'm now confident I can fix nearly anything thanks to AK !
This 2220 was described as working, and it does work well ! And it hasn't been abused, it should clean up nicely.

Back
Top Bottom