Another NAD 3020 rebuild and upgrade

leesonic

Captured on security camera...
Subscriber
OK, here is a thread showing another NAD 3020 that I rebuilt. This one has been a real labor of love compared to the first one I did, I bought a pile of parts from a fellow AKer with the hopes of getting it back together again.

Here is what I started with. As you can see, the output transistors and heatsink are missing, along with the power amp driver transistors, headphone jack, and volume control. I did buy a 7020 receiver for parts, but there were very few bits I could use for this 3020.

index.php

index.php

Here is the board removed from the case. I already mentioned no heatsink right?

index.php

I had to make my own heatsink out of a piece of aluminum L-section, as the heatsink in the parts 7020 receiver wasn't the same. This took a while to get together, as I was waiting on borrowing a friends band saw to make a nice clean cut, and to use a friends drill press to make the holes. Eventually, I bought a cheap cut-off saw, and drilled the holes myself using nothing but a picnic bench for clamping. It sucks not having our own house, I'll be glad when we find something, all my larger vices, clamps etc. are in storage. What I did was use a heatsink from another 3020 amp, screwed this to my L-bracket, and got drilling. My old metalwork (metal shop) teacher would be proud.

index.php

Jumping ahead big time here, this is a shot of the interior all completed. It's easier to list the parts that are original rather than what has been replaced. The bass, treble and balance pots are all original, as are all the switches except the power. The ceramic and green film caps are the originals, as is the one zener diode on the power amp board, and the power level meter IC. Everything else has been replaced : all electrolytics (using Nichicon KW and KL), all diodes (both signal and power rectifier), all transistors, all resistors (changed to 1% metal film).

index.php

Close-up of the phono pre-amp. The two big browny/red film caps replaced some 4.7uF electrolytics. The cap indicated by the yellow arrow was also changed to one of these films, as was the one on the other channel. The only problem was, it interferred with the location of the pre-amp power supply board. After trying to move it out of the way and lifting a solder pad, I admitted defeat and went back to a Nichicon KL cap. NAD do not use any special caps in signal path locations in this amp, unlike Kenwood, Pioneer, Sansui etc.

index.php

Pre-amp power supply board, the two caps circled in yellow are the ones that were going to be replaced with films, but there wasn't room.

index.php

Close-up of the power amp section. I added trimmers to adjust the bias, the NAD service manual says to swap out resistors until the correct reading is obtained.

index.php

Front view.

index.php

Rear view. I decided to do away with the switched and unswitched power outlets on the rear panel. In all the years of messing around with audio gear, I don't think I've ever used these once. It cuts down on a lot of 110v AC wiring that goes over the power amp stage, I don't know if it will reduce hum. I just covered the holes up with a piece of aluminum.

You may also notice the speaker terminals. The originals were broken, and these were sourced from the parts 7020 I mentioned earlier. However, even these were not a straight forward drop-in replacement, I had to bend the pins to make them line up with the holes in the PCB.

I also removed the soft-clipping switch, since the soft clipping circuit is not longer functional as I removed those components.

index.php

Here is a view of the front right corner, showing the Alps blue pot I bought from eBay. This was a real pain to fit, the 7020 volume pot bracket wasn't the same as the 3020, of course I only found this out AFTER I'd got the front panel on. I ended up making another one out of a piece of aluminum.

Front left view this time, and you can see the new power switch and the spark suppressor I fitted. I also tied up the transformer primary wires here, since they no longer went to the power outlet sockets on the rear panel.

You see the two browny/red film caps beside the bass control? These were originally blue electrolytics looking very similar to the blue Sanyo ones that fail in other brands.

So, does it work? The answer is YES! I powered it up, and was able to set the bias and offset well within specs. There are a few little teething troubles though...

The power lever meter doesn't work. I put new LEDs in here, I hope I didn't put all five of them in the wrong way. I have a spare board to try just in case.

The balance control doesn't work. I had to repair the one that was on there as it had broken off the board. I will check to see if there is a broken solder pad, if not then I'll replace it with one from one of my "parts" 1020 pre-amps**.

Not sure about the heatsink. The original NAD one was just a folded piece of aluminum about half the thickness of mine, but with more surface area. I might see if I can find some extra heatsinks to bolt onto this one I made, not that I have been using it at very high volume to generate much heat yet.

Lee.

** parts pre-amps they might be, but at least one of them might be getting a turbo boost and get turned into a 3020 amp. The one thing the parts 7020 receiver did provide was a nice big transformer, bigger than the 3020 one...

Last edited:
Nice!

Can you mention your sources for the power switch and arc suppressor?

(I revived a 7020 recently,and decided to try using a relay to offload the poor-condition switch. There was plenty of room and it works fine, but with an "ice cube" relay, arcing is all too evident. I had put a guessed-at RC suppressor across the relay contacts, but I'd be interested in trying something that might be better engineered.)

Thanks,

chazix

Nice!

Can you mention your sources for the power switch and arc suppressor?

(I revived a 7020 recently,and decided to try using a relay to offload the poor-condition switch. There was plenty of room and it works fine, but with an "ice cube" relay, arcing is all too evident. I had put a guessed-at RC suppressor across the relay contacts, but I'd be interested in trying something that might be better engineered.)

Thanks,

chazix

They came from Mouser, you can find part numbers in the spreadsheet link in the thread for the previous amp I worked on. Or, if you don't want to open that file, they are part #612-P197SBEE for the switch, and 539-104M06QC100 for the spark surpressor.

Lee.

Hi Lee

I will certainly bookmark this thread for further reference if i get to recap the Nad3020 again.

Meanwhile if u dun mind, able to share your order list of parts for this rebuild session

Tks for your contribute

Regards
Jen

Those are always worth it....the 7020's are nice too!
I just sold mine a few months ago.

Hi Lee

I will certainly bookmark this thread for further reference if i get to recap the Nad3020 again.

Meanwhile if u dun mind, able to share your order list of parts for this rebuild session

Tks for your contribute

Regards
Jen

All the information you need is in the thread for the previous 3020 I worked on, the link to that thread is at the top of this one.

Lee.

I managed to get the power meter working using another board, I suspect the chip was bad. What is interesting about this board (the right one in the picture below) is that I have had it in my "parts box" for probably 25 or even 30 years! I had a 3020 back when I was in Secondary School in England (High School for Americans), which I blew up by feeding close to 50 volts into the power amp stage. I forgot to remove the 35 volt original capacitors, and they went bang in a big way. I must have taken this board out and thought "hmmm... that will come in useful one day".

But back to the plot, I had to add the 2 watt dropper resistor you see on the right side of the board, as it came from a later 3020. Early ones have the four main caps behind the headphone jack like this one, later ones had them in the middle of the board. Another interesting thing is that if you look at the schematic for the early 3020s, they actually show a 6 volt AC tap on the secondary of the transformer for powering this power meter circuit. I've yet to see one in the flesh, I reckon they started to do it, but it made the transformer more expensive to make.

NAD3020second13.jpg

I also added on an additional heatsink, since I didn't know whether my new home brew heatsink would be up the the task. This was just a heatsink I found looking through the Mouser catalog, I smeared some thermal grease where it was bolted to the other heatsink. It might look like it's touching the tops of the output transistors in this picture, but there's really a gap of about 1/8".

NAD3020second14.jpg

NAD3020second15.jpg

Something that should be clarified about these NAD 3020 amps is how to adjust the bias and offset. Early amps can be identified as those which have the four main smoothing caps behind the headphone jack, later ones have these in the center of the board, and even later ones have just two larger caps.

For the early versions, it says to measure across resistors R653 and R654, but these are not fitted on the board, at least not on the ones I've ever worked on. These resistors are also not shown on the schematic, not very helpful either, they are in the component listing however (confusingly as R653 and R656), listed at 0.22 ohms. Fitting these resistors is straightforward, but you'll need to cut the track underneath them as they are shorted out. If you have fitted trimmers (recommended), you can then adjust the bias to between 5 and 11mV. I adjust for 11mV, just so I can say "these amps go to 11".

For the later versions, a 1 ohm resistor is already fitted in each channel (R653 and R654 again), and there should be a solder bridge across it. Simple unsolder this, and measure across it. Again, if you have taken the step to fit trimmers, it is easy to adjust the bias current to within 30 to 60mV. Some versions of the service manual suggest somewhere in this range, others like for the 3120/3020B say to adjust it for 30mV. I try and stick to 30mV or slightly higher.

Just make sure you are using the correct resistor and set the bias for that resistor. There's no reason why you can't use a 1 ohm resistor in an early amp, set the bias to 30mV, and then bridge the resistor with solder or a wire link - VERY IMPORTANT! Rather than try and probe the boards, I always solder a couple of scraps of wire onto the pads for these resistors, and bring them out under the front panel. Just be careful not to let them touch anything, I tape them to the bottom of the panel to stop them flapping in the breeze.

As for the offset, I'm still considering this. All the 3020s I've worked on, the factory offset trimmer is always adjusted right over almost to one side. On a 20k trimmer, I'm measured resistances of as low as 4 ohms, which doesn't seem like a good use of a 20k trimmer. Even with the Bournes multi-turn trimmers, I've found I've always had to adjust them right at one end. I'm experimenting with some different values for the trimmer and the resistors around it - watch this space!

I'm adding this posting to both NAD 3020 threads I have, not to try and bump them, just in case anyone comes across one or the other when working on one of their own amps.

Hope this helps,

Lee.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom