Another new guy....Jumping in head first.

Engineer5

Hi all. I've been having the urge to start gathering components for a vintage system. The problem is/was I know nothing about audio, vintage or modern!

I do have a vintage audio shop near me. I stopped in one day to ask a bunch of questions and ended up walking out the door with some nice sounding Advent/1's. I've been watching my local Craigslist to find a receiver but most of it was a bit higher than I wanted to pay or had mechanical issues that I wasn't ready to tackle.

Today I found an Optonica SM3636 amp and matching ST3636 tuner on CL. It's definitely going to need a thorough cleaning but no dents or scratches and all the lights and meters are working.

Now to spend some time reading through the threads on cleaning your gear. Going to need a can of Deoxit or two.

Looking forward to hanging around the forum.:beerchug:

Welcome, to AK and all that goes with it.

So, you are at the proverbial "fork in the road"....Vint or mod.

Take yer time and consider...depth of pockets, the sig other in yer life and what you want to end up with. Do you want to impress others or yourself?

Best bang for your buck...go Vint!.

Rule #1. Read! Check out this site and see what's what. Determine which way to go. Being slightly biased...best bang for your buck...vintage gear and you can always upgrade later, eh?

Rule #2. Check out the various sites for vintage gear for sale, AFTER you have done rule #1.

Q

Welcome to AK!

Where do you call home? Reason I ask is there was an Optonica set that just sold on my local CL. Are you from Omaha NE perchance?

You are off to a great start. What do you plan on using for a music source other than FM?

Well after I get this thing cleaned up and make sure it's running ok I'm going to start researching turntables. In the meantime I'll pick up a CD player to fill the void.

Here's a quick shot of my Optonica setup. You can see how dirty it is.....

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom