Another new guy on the block

PhaseGuy

I've been lurking on this web site for a really long time soaking up bits and pieces of information. I figured since I enjoy it so much I should finally join. I've learned a lot from you guys on where the best places are to buy parts and how to troubleshoot and repair my equipment. I would like to thank members like EchoWars who taught me about dc offset. If I would have read his post sooner, I could have saved a couple sets of test speakers that got toasted.

I love to hit thrift stores, swap meets and garage sales picking up old equipment and bringing it back to life. I used to be disappointed when they didn't work when I got them home, but now I look forward to troubleshooting until I find the problem. My latest score from a swap meet was a Marantz 170DC amp and a Marantz 2275 receiver. The 170DC was super clean, it even had a molded clear plastic cover on the faceplate to protect it. All it needed was four fuse lamps and it was ready. The 2275 receiver was kind of dirty and had a missing line fuse. I installed another fuse and it popped instantly. I removed the output transistors and installed another fuse and it stayed powered up. What suprised me was none of the lamps need replacing. So now I have to figure out what type of output transistors would work in place of the Fairchild S40442/3 that I removed.

My favorite system that I own is a Phase Linear amp, pre amp and tuner that I bought new in 1980. I know there is different opinions on PL reliability but my own experience has been great. I use this system everyday and I've never had any problems except for a output transistor that failed when I first bought it.

Anyway hello to everyone and I'm lookin forward to sharing our hobby.

Welcome aboard, PhaseGuy. As you have already learned, there is a wealth of information AND a wealth of good people. Enjoy yourself. Glad you stopped lurking.

Here are a couple of tips that may have eluded you till now. There are amazing amounts of info in the archive, so be sure to search before you ask a question about a piece of gear. It may have been dealt with, previously. If you need to make a purchase at Parts Express, use the referral link at the bottom of the AK home page. PE rebates AK a portion of your purchase. Pretty easy way to send some cash to help keep AK going. The rest of the "Friends of AK" are also worth first consideration, as they support us. I haven't dealt with all of them, yet, but those I have are first-rate, so be confident that they will treat you well.

welcome

I also love and own a Phase Linear preamp (4000) and want to welcome to to the site; you'll have a great time in here. Looking forward to see your posts.

Welcome to AK. It is really hard to find those Marantz with the clear plastic faceplate protector still in place. Sounds like your off to great start.

Welcome aboard!! :yes: :yes:

Looks like your luck has turned around. Slim pickens runs in waves. Wonder if anyone else has information on the Fairchild transistors. Funny, come to think of it, I don't remember Marantz using anything but Marantz labeled transistors on their outputs. Maybe these were already replacements at one time?

You might hit one of the online schematic sites for the 2275 and see what the originals may have been if not the Fairchilds.

Regards,

Bart

I like to welcome you to Tommy's holiday camp. The camp with a difference never mind the weather when you come to Tommy's the holiday's forever uhhaaaaaaaa.

And in a deep voice we hear

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:

Yeah, I'm the kind of person your parents told you about...be vewwy,vewwy afwaid...<grin> Welcome aboard, pal !! -Sandy G.

Back
Top Bottom