Another One Bites The Dust small eBay rant...

You can also try a 'double sandwich'. 'Metal, wood, faceplate, wood, metal' or 'metal towel double over faceplate towel double over metal' in a vice squeezed tight. I've had success w/the BFH and hard wood blocks as well. I think you can get that 99% straight, but if you're satisfied then move on. BTW, don't forget to leave appropriate feedback, notify the seller & try for a partial refund.

Did contact the seller, and he was more than accommodating and sent a very quick, and reasonable partial refund.
Got sense that he shared our passion for vintage hi-fi and was genuinely bummed out that the Marantz suffered injuries on it's journey.

Bihagstrom has the right idea but instead of blunt force clamp that corner in a bench vise protected with thin wood strips. It will straighten it right out.

Large adjustable Crescent style wrench with the wood strip padding, popsicle sticks for instance.

...I have tried to fix those before but never had a satisfactory result. This one I'm not even going to try...

I bent back a 2252B that was far worse than your example. It was straight enough and flat enough but the finish was never right. The anodized finish had stretched and become discolored which cannot be fixed. Anyways, you have an opportunity to get a healthy discount.

Very nice result. A trick that sometimes works to take it that one step further is to use three dowels (or 3/8" square wood stock) and a press or vice. Put a single dowel at the highest point of the bulge, and two dowels at the edges of the bend on the opposite side. Press together and you can carefully "overbend" a little and SOMETIMES get a little closer to the original. Obviously, this is a last resort kind of attempt.

Just had to vent on another eBay disaster. Saw this broken/dead 2238 and was hoping to restore it. Told the seller very specifically that due to weight/fragility the faceplate area had to be extra padded and packed to prevent damage if dropped (and shippers mostly always drop these) and I asked for double boxing and double wall boxes etc. Seller said no problem, solidly packed up, beautiful shape, all protected, no worries. Well the box arrives flimsy many-times-used single wall cardboard no double boxes, about 18 packing peanuts inside, a piece of thin cardboard over the top of the receiver, two strips of fragmented foam packing at the front, and That's It. So obviously arrived damaged. Corner all bent up of faceplate. I have tried to fix those before but never had a satisfactory result. This one I'm not even going to try. What a waste. OK end of rant. Thanks.

View attachment 1267790

View attachment 1267792
Those damn sellers never listen! I do the same every time I buy I go through how to pack with sellers but some sellers are just too cheap and hard headed to listen to how they can save us both a bunch of time and headaches. Cheap bastards!

Cheap, lazy, &/or stupid! I recently sold & shipped a rek-o-cut rondine b12 via bt. I spent hours on acquiring adequate packing materials & "engineering " the package. I sure as hell wasn't going to cheap out on that job, I wanted a happy customer no matter what. I wanted it idiot-proof, it worked. Probably spent too much time for what I sold it for, but so what? :rolleyes:
Those damn sellers never listen! I do the same every time I buy I go through how to pack with sellers but some sellers are just too cheap and hard headed to listen to how they can save us both a bunch of time and headaches. Cheap bastards!

Back
Top Bottom