Another Outstanding Restoration by EchoWars!

RobV

Sansui Power
....or How EchoWars Saved My Favorite Amp

EchoWars recently fixed my dead Adcom GFA-555II power amp when I was about to give up on it. He did such a nice job, replacing not only the blown opamps and resistors, but also several small caps and the bias current and DC offset trimpots, that this was not just a repair. More like an 'optimization'.

So I sent him my favorite amp, a Sansui BA-F1. Since it is 24 years old and I plan to keep it for a while, I just wanted him to replace all the small electrolytic capacitors and exchange the cheap, over-sensitive trimpots with the nice little Bournes ones. He did all that and also replaced the burned out bulbs for the cool green illuminated power switch and one of the power meters. But, more importantly, he discovered that one of the large 15000uf power supply capacitors had burst and was beginning to seep electrolyte. Luckily, there was no damage to the driver board located directly below, but in time there certainly would have been!

Although an exact replacement capacitor is no longer available Echo located replacement uber high quality Nichicons. Replacing them (I opted to get all four) was a bitch, and made even more difficult because the Nichicons were longer than the originals. Almost anyone else would not have done this! Only Echo's ingenuity and determination made it happen.

If you love your vintage audio components as much as I do mine, I highly recommend that you contact EchoWars. He saved my Sansui BA-F1 and I will soon be sending him my other BA-F1.

RobV

Last edited:
Awww shucks...

/looks down, blushes, kicks the dirt.../

I'm glad you're pleased. Yep...swapping the filter caps in that one was no bloody picnic. But I really liked that amp...wayyy cool. Got to be about the most rugged and bulletproof 110WPC amp ever made...and bitchin' meters (and green power light) to boot.

Hated to see it go...part of the good and bad of restoring other people's gear. :sadwave:

Now that I've been able to listen for a couple of days.... :boink:
I keep hearing MORE depth and details than I had before. Replacing all those tired caps really does make a noticeable difference!
:thmbsp:

RobV

Originally posted by fujimo
Now if we could just find someone as capable to work on Tuners! :(

"THE" tuner guy:
Michael Zuccaro
8795 Corvus Place
San Diego,Ca. 92126-1920
858-271-8294 (9am-10pm pacific time)
email: mjzuccaro@aol.com

Originally posted by 70'sVint.audio
Which caps were replaced
On that one, since the power supply filter caps were leaking, all of the electrolytics in the entire amp were replaced. Every one.
what brands were used?
For the big filter caps, Nichicon Gold Tune, for the rest of the electrolytics, Panasonic FC caps (with a few Panasonic SU bipolars where necessary).

Back
Top Bottom