another pair of cheap rat shack/RCA book shelfs

winston61

Picked them up at the local junkateria. I'm not interested in spending much time/money. The model # is 40-5014.
As expected the sound is pretty muddy. Response is 8-20000. 8 ohm. What I'd like to do is add a cap to the tweeter to see if I can clean up the sound. I have no idea how to predict crossover freq. to select the right cap.
The cab is 0.44 cu ft. Any informed guesses? Thanks to all.

there was no capacitor there. The woofer and tweeter are both run directly from the input. The speakers are marked RCA, Cat. # 40-5014.

We really need pics of what you are dealing with. Considering that the tweeter has no capacitor on it may indicate that it is a piezo tweeter - which is often run with no crossover.

GeeDeeEmm

there was no capacitor there. The woofer and tweeter are both run directly from the input. The speakers are marked RCA, Cat. # 40-5014.
If someone removed the capacitor chances are the tweeter is blown and that's why the speaker sounds muddy.
Do you have a multimeter handy to check the tweeter?
You can also put a paper towel tube between the tweeter and your ear while playing music to see if it's working. Anything with lots of clear cymbals and such should do.

Last edited:
Radio shack sure had a way with the verbiage in their catalogues.

"RCA Home Speakers for Every Budget" .... up to $129.99

"5" cone woofer delivers taught, true bass" ...way down to 80hz

Sometimes the capacitor is mounted to the tweeter itself against the magnet structure.

Radio shack sure had a way with the verbiage in their catalogues.
"RCA Home Speakers for Every Budget" .... up to $129.99
"5" cone woofer delivers taught, true bass" ...way down to 80hz
Sometimes the capacitor is mounted to the tweeter itself against the magnet structure.
Back when anything below 80hz was considered subsonic:D

Did you want some kick drum with that music? You crazy?!...you'll make the needle jump!

...yes, I said needle:p

Last edited:
I'm curious are the model #'s not visible on these speakers? I'm trying to figure out why you're referencing to the catalog #'s?

The catalogs list model names, but product labels on the speakers only show catalog numbers. This speaker was introduced ("new") in 2000 as "Optimus STS-620." It was new all over again the next year as "RCA STS-620."

The catalogs list model names, but product labels on the speakers only show catalog numbers. This speaker was introduced ("new") in 2000 as "Optimus STS-620." It was new all over again the next year as "RCA STS-620."

s-l1600.jpg

Back
Top Bottom