Another possible change of gear: PL-530 Turntable for PL-1200A

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by greenflash, Sep 1, 2016.

1. greenflash

greenflash Active Member

I just bought a PL-1200A turntable from Pioneer, I already own a PL-530 but I'll have to let one go.. From what I've read it seems that PL-1200A is a superior model, what do you think? Thanks!

2. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

greenflash likes this.
  3. greenflash

greenflash Active Member

That's actually a very smart tip, @Balifly ! Never did a side by side with any TTs I think. Same cartridge/amp/speakers and LP.. Will do.
    Eager to get it (hopefully on tuesday!) Thanks!

Balifly likes this.
  4. buzshaws

buzshaws Active Member

Came across this on another search so hardly a timely post but thought it would be helpful to tag a little more info on the PL-1200 for others that happen along. Also curious what you decided greenflash!

The PL-1200 is the Japan version of the PL-51A DC Servo manual table. It was top of the line in '73 until the PL-71 took that spot starting in '74. The PL-51A and PL-51 are identical but the "A" designates the version update which added a built-in strobe light. As you know your PL-530 is fully auto so in addition to a couple generations apart they're both operationally quite different.

I just sold a PL-530 last week that had been unused for several years. Since I prefer the PL-71's on back, it was kind of a loner for me amongst the seven other PL's I have. I will say I did have fun with it after getting it set-up and adjusted. The arm didn't want to return all the way to its rest so I followed the AK thread that explained how to replace a deteriorated foam pad that is required to complete the cycle. It came out beautiful and problem permanently solved with proper material that will not desinigrate. Just an FYI that's easy to do when you run into this. As I said, it was fun getting reacquainted with it but it just wasn't my era (Pioneer "silver series" components so much in vogue these days). PL-530's are fetching high prices, even in fairly poor looking condition. I bought a PL-51 for half what I sold my 530 for and if a 51 and 530 were in front of me new in the box I'd personally take the 51 without reservation. If you aren't handy or confident getting into your turntable, the 530 will end up requiring service while the 51 will run trouble-free (as will a 71) for +40 years with the exception of cleaning speed controls and maybe checking main bearing. I just did my PL-55 and three PL-71's bearings and none of them "needed" it as evidence of the thrust plate. Even went into the PL-51 because I was on a roll and it was absolutely perfect just like the others.

So there's my pitch! I love them all but '73 (PL-51) to '76 (PL-71) is my era of choice for Pioneer turntables, hope you found "the one" that makes you happy because there's no good or bad with either if you know what you want. Manual tables keep you hopping and auto's have a charm of their own and I have some of my favorites of both. Heck, at least its cheaper than collecting '60's-'70's muscle cars, right! :idea:

greenflash likes this.
  5. greenflash

greenflash Active Member

Oh it's never too late as our very audio toys can prove :D anyway after this time I let go of the PL1200A and I got by pure luck *Another* PL530 which was way cheap for our market and in a much better condition too. I took the best parts
    and made a really nice one. The lettering on the old one made me cringe lol. Now I have to let go of the old 530. Works and all, only problem is a "clack" sound at the end of the playing. Seems to be a part under the plate that won't completely return to place at the end.