Another QLS-1 thread

slimpikkins

I wanted a pair of these since I first saw the threads about them in this forum. At that time someone gave me a pair of RSIII's and inquired about their quality on this fine site. That was 2008 and my first post here (Audiokarma speaker forum). Since then I've had the pleasure of owning and fixing many pairs of fine Infinity speakers.
Couple weeks ago I'm doing my usual searches on cl. This time I was doing a 500 mile radius search and came across some quantum 1's over 400miles away. They were mention here and languished for 2 weeks. Finally I could not take it anymore and called them. The price was right and the man on the phone seemed to be normal so I made him an offer with the promise he would hold them for 2 days. Of course there were others interested and he said he'd get back to me. He ended up taking my offer.
This was going to be a long trip. My wife made me take Buddy my dog so I would not fall asleep on the way home. Very nice ride through Pa just a great day to travel. I finally got there and met the guy and the speakers. They are a bit of a mess as I had suspected and I thought I am doing some Cleveland Aker a big favor by taking these out of the area.
Several mids are out and half the tweeters. Woofers were refoamed many years ago with very stiff surrounds and the roll upside down. To make matters worse I wasn't 100percent sure the woofers were original. They only had 4 screws holding them on and those surrounds. The owner told me they were and the cones looked correct so the deal was done and they were in my truck.
After lunch and walking Buddy we were back on the road. Total trip was 808 miles 6am-9:30pm. Even with gas and tolls it was still not a bad deal.
So far I have all the tweeters in one speaker working. There were a couple that needed the solder buttons re flowed. (Btw they soldering that array back together was a big pain.). Fixed two of the 5 mids using jt45's repair method http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...quantum-midrange-repair-with-pictures.398687/. I'm hoping to get these running without buying any drivers. Here's a couple pics. I'll stop back as I make progress.
Jim
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I'm glad you decided to get those. I was considering them but being disabled, I decided they were beyond my scope. I know the guy in Cleveland Heights had them listed at $600 or best offer, how much did he finally accept?

I'm sure they found a better home with you than I could have provided. Good luck and ENJOY!

Real butcher job on that surround replacement, I'm guessing the last guy couldn't find the right size and cut it down from a larger one.

These are "first generation" QLS, with the painted baffle, fiberglass stuffing and the 1600uF caps on the 4 ohm tap of the Watkins woofer. They have those cheap red and black caps on the woofer and "mid bass coupler". They go bad, every single one in my pair were leaking!

Infinity changed the circuit to use 1100uF to stop the woofers from bottoming out. I did the same when I recapped them and it stopped the problem.

My pots were totally corroded but were pretty easy to clean because they are built to be easy to open up. A little D100 and a fine brass wire brush cleaned them up and a shot of fader lube made them feel like new. I

Last edited:
Congrats and good luck getting them fully functional.
Since no one else has mentioned it I'll just blurt it out...someone should tell that lady her left hand is on fire.

I'm glad you decided to get those. I was considering them but being disabled, I decided they were beyond my scope. I know the guy in Cleveland Heights had them listed at $600 or best offer, how much did he finally accept?

I'm sure they found a better home with you than I could have provided. Good luck and ENJOY!

I offered him full price if he would hold them for me until I could get there. He had some other interest and a few offers. He also had some Pioneer spec gear that someone else bought. I assume no one wanted to fix all the drivers that were out and the woofers being questionable.

chef free, I read you and buckybadgers thread about your work on your pairs. Very informative, thank you. The woofer surrounds are very thick, heavy, stiff and up side down. It's a wonder they sounded any good that way. Surrounds on their way and two more mids fixed today.

Thanks all for the encouragement.
Jim

Wow! Congrats Slimp. Glad to see your score and really happy they are in the right hands.

Thanks for sharing, great pics and look forward to seeing the end result

image.jpg Fooled around with the woofers today. I removed the surrounds. No wonder they sounded so bad. The surrounds being upside down had the roll resting on the inside of the basket severely limiting the movement of the cone. After fooling around with all the plastic cement and trying to get it off the cones I've decided to just have Millersound recone them. The cone is falling apart the more I play with them. Little bit of a set back but I could never live with all that glue on the cones even if it is just cosmetic. Heading over to see Bill on Monday...
Jim
I know my deck looks bad. Replacing it and the patio next year...embarrassing!

I know my deck looks bad. Replacing it and the patio next year...embarrassing!

Nice find!

A man with his priorities correct! Ignore the deck, and fix the speakers! 'Sounds like me! :rflmao:

Plus, I'd love to hear your opinion on how those early Emits compare to your later Infinity's?

Good luck.

The mid domes are all fixed. I used an orange colored hot glue to try and lightly cover the exposed wire. Worked good but looks a little sloppy. The originals are a little sloppy too so I guess it's okay. Just clean them up a little bit and put them back in.
image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2
Covering the tensile wire with glue is a good idea, it will protect them and it makes them look closer to original. I'm enjoying this thread and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your progress and hearing your impressions once they are up and singing!

Took the woofers to Millersound today. Bill is going to rebuild them and told me they will sound amazing when he is done. Going with a modern RDM fiber cone which he thought would be best, replace the spider, surround, balance the cone, and dampen the basket inside and out. They also fix the Quantum midrange as well for those not wanting to mess around with them. Took the mid bass couplers to him as he wanted to look at them but he said they are fine.

Pick up my woofers today and they are beautiful. I was told they will blow my mind. Had a great conversation about the process as well. Very thorough job. I will compare them to my originals in my 2.5's. Bill told me he got one inch of travel out of the coils. See above for before pic.

Progress is going slow. Removing the crossover to get at the pots was a real pain. Then putting it all back together...I made it to be easier for next time. The pots are like new now. One speaker is ready to put back together, just need to get some poly fill from the craft store.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Those woofers look super nice! Information on where to get things done right is good to know. Also like how the Dynamat is applied.

Those midrange tinsels aren't much fun to fix, but the three I did fix on my Quantum 2s sound fuller and louder than the one I didn't fix, so I'm probably going to re-tinsel the one that had the unbroken wires anyway.

I enjoy seeing a worthy set of speakers get refurbished instead of parted out.

L.D.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom