Another RARITY, PL-6-A & PL-6-B Flat Panel Spkrs

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by larryderouin, Feb 1, 2018.

1. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

Got a pair of these "flat panel" speakers, (off Ebay and just picked them up.)which when I got to the guys place were in the original boxes, had the original stuffing, and 1 speaker wire that looked like it was peeled from a Barb wire fence and 1 foot out of 4 so I have to make 3 more, Warranty Cards, Warranty Shops for the EMERSON ERA, "They shall have music sheet, Owners Manuals, and instructions for removing the plastic sheet from the front the 1st time out.

100_5274.JPG
    100_5275.JPG
    PL-6-A is called Pastorale.Serial # 51579 According ot the Warranty card.
    3 of the 4 feet are missing, due to poor condition of the boxes, so they are sitting in the styrofoam bases.
    100_5276.JPG
    The sticker on the back
    100_5279.JPG
    And the full back
    100_5278.JPG
    Side Shot. It's about 4" thick. As they have the vent in the back FISHER didn't recommend they be mounted directly up against the wall. They suggested rubber blocks on the back to isolate from the wall, or you'd have a "WALL GUITAR". Continued on next post.....
    100_5277.JPG

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. larryderouin

The PL-6-B is called "Horse and Hounds" Serial # 120576 per the Warranty card and the box.
    this one had a broken wire to the tweeter which was located and a piece of solder wick was spliced between the cap (film) and the left over wire. It works fine.
    100_5281.JPG

100_5282.JPG

When I opened this one, there was a rubber stamped date of 12OCT1972 on it. I haven't opened the PL-6-A as nothing is wrong with it and I don't have a flat blade for my power screwdriver. And the 12 Screws holding on the back are flat head.

1st impression. Not too shabby for a 2 way with a freq range of 40Hz to 18kHz. On the X-101-B with the bass and treble centered and Loudness off they were really weak in bass. Turning on the loudness helped a lot. Backing off the bass 1 notch brought it back to a livable level. With the loudness they start to distort about 11:00, while turning off loudness allows them to go to 1:00 volume. They sound quite fair to good at low to moderate levels. These would be good for the older crowd parties for background music (classical, jazz, soft pop, etc.) Hang them about a foot off the wall and ceiling and you'd probably get good all around sound from them. For right now I've got them in front of my setup for testing. I like their sound right now better than the SP-2000's I've been running, but they all intrude into the walkway for the Kitchen. Oh well, I'm single now so I can walk sideways if needed.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  3. larryderouin

a bit more to come.

The Voice coils are glued to a what looks like a routed or molded styrofoam sheet, with the magnet assemblies mounted on an Aluminium frame. The back is open for 360* sound as FISHER put it. And it does. IT's quite as loud in the back with no degradation of SQ. I'd equate them as about equal of the XP55B but the 55B will get a higher SPL without breaking up. So these are not to be used for Iron Maiden, AC/DC, etc. I think some Glenn Miller or Artie Shaw would be good for these (gotta test them with these.)

The frames are wood, and there is some paint cracking on the top (about 3-4") plus the miter corners are separating a little. Hell you can't have everything. I should have taken a couple pics of the inside (I still can as I've only got 2 screws of 12 installed on the one. BE RIGHT BACK!

3 minutes later............... Tweeter is in Upper Right Corner. Main Driver in center. Date on Stamp is 12 OCT 1972 (GAWD! I was a Senior in High School.)
    100_5284.JPG

As far as the Power Ratings are concerned, they seem to me that they would be a decent match for a 400, 500B/c, 800B/C, 1800 or any of the lower power (25W rms or less) receivers or Amps.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  4. larryderouin

Link to the Youtube mov I made with the KODAK. The S.Q. is a bit low due to the camera. IT's better live.

5. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

Cool. So the "cone" is the styrofoam sheet inside I guess? What about the tweeter, does that just have an opening that it sounds through directly?

6. SPL db

SPL db It's all about the music! Subscriber

Those look like fun... do you suppose if fill in all the white spaces on the picture side with different Sharpie pens that it would color the sound at all? :D

7. larryderouin

gadget; Nope. The voice coil is glued directly to the styrofoam. No thru holes that I could see. And where the tweeter coil is, it's close to double the thickness of the center.

8. kcline

kcline Tube Audio Collector Subscriber

Nice seen them in a catalog never seen or heard in person

9. SiliconTi

SiliconTi AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very cool.

Baco99 has a weird pair of large floor standers that uses the styofoam approach too. Really weird, but it works!

10. larryderouin

siliconTi; The styrofoam on the bottom is there to hold them up until I can make new legs from some 1x10 oak.

11. Lo-Fidelity

Lo-Fidelity AK Subscriber Subscriber

Dang those are neat! :thumbsup:

12. larryderouin

kcline. I've seen them in a catalog, but can't remember which one. Definitely from the Emerson ERA. They sold them for a couple years and then ....POOF! 50W Peak instantaneous
    25W RMS MAX continuous.

I wouldn't push them that hard as the voice coils had a nasty tendency to either punch thru the styrofoam OR more often crack the styrofoam.

Larry

13. Tim D

Tim D AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey Larry,

Spotted another one today on the big auction site. It's titled "1 Vintage Fisher Sound Panel Model PL-6-D Flat Speaker Hunting Scene 70's Tested". Thought you'd like to know....

14. larryderouin

Thanks. It's the same as the PL6-B only turned on it's side and with a wood colored frame instead of white.

15. Fairlane

Fairlane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Don't remember those Larry. Fascinating, especially the scenes imprinted on them.

16. Tim D

Tim D AK Subscriber Subscriber

Larry,

Another one popped up on the big auction site. Title of "2 VINTAGE 1972 FISHER SOUND PANEL PL-6 PSYCHEDELIC ART MID CENTURY WALL SPEAKERS".

17. vendo81

vendo81 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very cool speakers Larry! There was a company (can't remember the name) that made speakers with the same type of system, styrofoam with attached drivers but they were larger. I occasionally see them for sale and I believe they were from the 1970's or 80's. They must have copied Fisher or another company that used this system. I wonder if Fisher designed these?

18. larryderouin

They were designed by an Argentinian Co., "Bertagni Electroacoustic Systems" (BES) That moved to California in the late 70's. The inventor died in the late 80s'/early 90's but the son's have a Co in SoCal and they still do this format. Seems to me there was a flat panel spkr thread last year or the year before that had a hell of a lot of info including the makers name.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  19. vendo81

vendo81 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes that's the company. A friend I knew in the 1990's had a pair and they sounded pretty good. Not speakers you would play loud. They were very attractive speakers.

20. larryderouin

Yeah these you definitely DO NOT want to Crank on. They get buzzy about 1/2way on the volume (X-101-B) (Fisher's "Hammer Effect"?) but other than that are really nice for pre 70's rock and roll, Doo-wop, Jazz, Classical......Not Metal, or anything more energetic than the Doobies or Eagles, although they can push the speakers if you aren't watching it.