Another reason to hold on to that tuner?

I agree with you. My daughter lives in San Marcos TX. That community has a licensed low power FM station which operates 24/7 with an amazingly diverse commercial free playlist. The stated purpose of the station is to communicate with the public during natural disasters such as flooding, not an uncommon occurrence there. I often stream that station via the Tunein app for a listening source. It probably has a useful over the air signal within a mile or so radius of the transmitter. Battery powered radios will be very useful for a long time to come when/if grid goes dark and the transmitter has generator power. Hang on to them and fresh batteries.

I have a Kenwood tuner which is really good at adjacent station rejection and capture, so I enjoy a similar amount of stations down low on the band. Oh I am in New York City, so yes choice is king.

The author calls it a 'diverse pirate radio scene' I call it a damn nuisance. Although my Yamaha T-2s are excellent at capture and rejection, these stations wreak havoc on my Fisher and Scott tube tuners. Some days the left end of the dial is totally stepped on by religious stations loud and clear.
WBGO-FM 88.3 has been plagued with pirates at 88.1 and 88.5 for a long time. They discuss this problem on their website. I've spoke with the station engineer. Appears they are helpless.

Many of the NYC-area pirate stations have live DJs who take callers on the air (often in the middle of a song!) and commercials for local businesses. But as mentioned, many of them interfere with legally licensed stations, especially since they often greatly overmodulate their audio.

The author calls it a 'diverse pirate radio scene' I call it a damn nuisance. Although my Yamaha T-2s are excellent at capture and rejection, these stations wreak havoc on my Fisher and Scott tube tuners. Some days the left end of the dial is totally stepped on by religious stations loud and clear.
WBGO-FM 88.3 has been plagued with pirates at 88.1 and 88.5 for a long time. They discuss this problem on their website. I've spoke with the station engineer. Appears they are helpless.
That’s why I got the L-1000T years ago. It’s amazingly selective, has killer rejection and has many settings to fine tune the signal. It also had two antenna ins which are remote selectable, so I run two different antenna types. It’s only once in a rare instance that I get some very short interference, which settles itself within a second.

I wish we had pirate stations here in Australia- it'd give me something to listen to over and above the national feeds of low quality fast-food content. My tuners are gathering dust- never used anymore.

I actually considered getting a transmitter to broadcast to the valley I overlook in case of fires- and to play some cool tunes.

The college stations tend to be the only worth listening to here.
Content is hit and miss though (time )
I keep a decent tuner but it gathers dust 99+% percent of the time.
I have fond memories of Fm.
I think I'd welcome pirate stations in the area.
There's probably a better chance than not it'd come and go before I knew it was there.

I'm listening now to, well, IDK, guess it's sleeper's awake on a public station. It's 530 AM, the house is quiet, I'm alone with the main rig at low volume as bed-time nears. :D

Using a tuner is pretty much some part of most days here. Always use a Sangean stereo radio for showers in the master bath. FM is in my diet. And, lately, some AM soul now and again instead of the more usual ballgame. Usual being relatively uncommon, anyway, for AM use.

I travel cross county a lot too and after a while music gets old no matter what it is. I buy books on tape or CD from thrift stores for cheap and a good one will keep my attention like any good page turner... if it isn't good it goes in the trash next fill up. As far as radio, I like a really engaging talk show and AM because of it's propagation characteristics is the band I scan ... Christian, what ever... problem is most of them are not engaging.. but some are. This isn't a political or content recommendation so much as one that keeps me engaged... Art Bell could do this on occasion with a guest... but I like to listen to Alex Jones and always stop on a station if I hear his voice whether he is on a rant, engaging a guest, or doing one of his soliloquy performances. I could and have listened to Louis Farrakhan delivering a sermon, he can also be very engaging... doesn't mean I agree with what he says, or not, but I enjoy the wide open full throttled passion of it... for me, better than an energy drink.

I do back flips when I pick up any engaging talk radio broadcast. It was easy when I was traveling from GA to NYC, lots to choose from, George Noory being my favorite. I would listen to Howard Stern while cruising around the city before reporting to the boat at noon. I rely on satellite radio 98% of the time now. I did bring a car back from San Diego last year that only had a radio so I listen to terrestrial for four days.

I'm running a Phase Linear model 5000 tuner on a Yamaha A-2020. Silver face meet AVS. But tuner reception is better.

I'm in the Metro Detroit area and thank goodness we can get Candian stations, and local college and high school stations. I think our whole radio market is controlled by one gaint company.....and they suck. I was visiting Central Texas and picked up some great Non corporate stations in the car, some great music. Always have to have a tuner around.

I travel cross county a lot too and after a while music gets old no matter what it is. I buy books on tape or CD from thrift stores for cheap and a good one will keep my attention like any good page turner... if it isn't good it goes in the trash next fill up. As far as radio, I like a really engaging talk show and AM because of it's propagation characteristics is the band I scan ... Christian, what ever... problem is most of them are not engaging.. but some are. This isn't a political or content recommendation so much as one that keeps me engaged... Art Bell could do this on occasion with a guest... but I like to listen to Alex Jones and always stop on a station if I hear his voice whether he is on a rant, engaging a guest, or doing one of his soliloquy performances. I could and have listened to Louis Farrakhan delivering a sermon, he can also be very engaging... doesn't mean I agree with what he says, or not, but I enjoy the wide open full throttled passion of it... for me, better than an energy drink.

Understanding someone else point of view is good for the mind, and soul. My folks used to let me go too services (church/temple, whatever) with my friends families on Saturday or Sunday. I didn't always understand exactly what was going on, but I got the gist, and I got "credit" so I didn't have to go to Catholic Mass that week.;)

I do back flips when I pick up any engaging talk radio broadcast. It was easy when I was traveling from GA to NYC, lots to choose from, George Noory being my favorite. I would listen to Howard Stern while cruising around the city before reporting to the boat at noon. I rely on satellite radio 98% of the time now. I did bring a car back from San Diego last year that only had a radio so I listen to terrestrial for four days.

I used to have to make a three to four-hour road trip to make an 8:00 AM meeting. I looked forward to hearing what Art Bell and/or George Noory had on, no matter how crazy, at least it was fun, and different.

Art Bell just passed away three months ago.

I still enjoy listening to FM when i just want some background music, and as a matter of fact I just bough an L-07T to complete the L series stack and it sounds really good. Not quite as good as a CD, but still very, very nice on the local classic rock station. I feel like a system just isn't complete without a tuner, maybe I'm just old.

Back
Top Bottom