Another Sansui AU20000

Finally, the front side of amplifier assembled!

PICT2999_zpsoznvymam.jpg

PICT3000_zpsusodnq0n.jpg

PICT3001_zpstzgmhfw2.jpg

Hi kale, do you have a source for those cable connector pins? As you know they are used a lot in the AU X1, but i am missing some. I would like to use these because they relief the stresses on the traces, especially when the cables are mounted to the rear of the pcb

Regards

Harold

Kale - do you have have the Digi-Key part No. or Order code or link of the PCB pin connector?

Sorry, I dont have the part number. I bought that long time ago. But I think if you do some search by PCB Pin, or something similar, you will find it. As I can remember, there are two sizes, that what I am using now is smaller size, but I have a bigger size too (for normal cable size).

Here there are some more pictures:

PICT3004_zpsodoytcmh.jpg

You should use those Heat Shrink tubing, if not, when you will solder that pin to the board, the heat from solder would melt gentle insulation of cables.

PICT3005_zpsrt8gfdsg.jpg

Thanks John for the Mouser PCB terminal order code & thanks Kale for the helpful heat Shrink tubing tip - very much appreciated - :thumbsup:

Finally all signal wires are connected to the board

PICT3006__zpso7vpjebz.jpg

Replaced ceramic 10nF capacitor on the main power switch

PICT3008_zpswerc6np2.jpg

Replaced those 4 capacitors on the Driver Boards Motherboard, those two 470uF bigger capacitators is not simple to replace… because old ones are three pins, and new are two pins snap in capacitors, finally they should be in the center of that hole…

PICT3007_zpsniwgpzrz.jpg

PICT3003_zpscehjpi3d.jpg

but an IPC trainer would complain about those chunky solder blobs. ;)

You mean on that last picture? Those solder joint are looking like that because I had to bent the pins of the capacitor, and those little peaks what you see on those solder joints are ends of the capacitors pins.

Now, I am waiting to get some parts I've ordered, so the work on that amplifier will have to stop for a few days…

What a surprise ... unexpectedly quickly I got the main capacitors! So what to do than install them!

On the left side old main capacitor, on the right side new main capacitor

PICT3012_zpsao7lo3ho.jpg

Here you can see how I connected them...

8a2ec034-ebc9-46c8-b247-e1600f302b97_zpshsgd1qvv.jpg

... and how they perfectly match to that amplifier

PICT3018_zpskisaickl.jpg

I wish to show you something....

Look how you should to pay attention on every detail to make it all on the right place

PICT3017_zpseupxmidp.jpg

I can't see a problem there Kale, are we looking at a mistake? (never worked on one of these :( )

I like the 'fit' of the 4 pairs of 2 large capacitors in close proximity. ;)

Kale,

What are you using for the rosin (colophony), a spray form or just liquid and what are you applying it with?

Kale,

What are you using for the rosin (colophony), a spray form or just liquid and what are you applying it with?

Nothing special… here it is the picture:

PICT3023.jpg

I put a some Nitro thinner on it, and I apply to the board with a brush, BUT before you do that you should remove all old colophony because it has every kind of smell (like nicotine for example) and dirt...

And one more good thing is with colophony... when you turn on the amplifier, you will feel a very nice smell, juts like it was as new! I can still remember when I bought some new audio equipment in 70ties and 80ies, they had just the same smell like that! So I like to say, I am restoring and new vintage smell on my restorations hahaha :) :)

Last edited:
I can't see a problem there Kale, are we looking at a mistake? (never worked on one of these :( )

I like the 'fit' of the 4 pairs of 2 large capacitors in close proximity. ;)
There is no any mistake, but sometime until you assembled all parts, you will not see a problem with space, so I always tried to check before I do something...

Last edited:
Now the job on that amplifier is paused because I am waiting a new driver boards for it, and a new 7V lamps for Power meters... so like The Arnold Schwarzenegger says "I'll Be Back" :)

Amazing work KALE! I learn so much from your threads, thank you.

In post #29 you mentioned damaged TO-3 mounting screws. You said that the new replacement screws are made of "INOX". What is INOX and where do you source those screws?

I need a set of new TO-3 screws for an AU-317

Back
Top Bottom