(another) stylus profile comparison - Miles Ahead

Which stylus sounded best to you?

• Total voters

periclimenes

A post yesterday about a mono promo copy of Miles Davis and Gil Evans's Miles Ahead reminded me that I had been meaning to do this. Here is a needle drop of the first track (Springsville) using the same cartridge (Nagaoka MP-110) but 4 different stylus profiles (2.0 mil conical, 1.0 mil conical, 0.7 mil conical, 0.7 mil eliptical). My original interest in this was twofold: 1. the standard stylus size was 1.0 mil when this record was recorded and that made me wonder whether it sounds any different with a stylus that is "period-appropriate;" 2. I had read in a few places that a record with lots of groove wear may sound okay if you can get the needle to ride a little higher (larger stylus tip) or lower (smaller stylus tip) than the level of the damage. One of these is obviously garbage, but the other three I think all sound pretty nice. If you've made it this far, please check them out and comment on which is your favorite!

Note: the files are in random order. I'll post their identities in a day or so.

stylus 1 mp3

stylus 1 FLAC

stylus 2 mp3

stylus 2 FLAC

stylus 3 mp3

stylus 3 FLAC

stylus 4 mp3

stylus 4 FLAC

Signal chain is turntable-->Don Sachs phono stage-->Focusrite Scarlett-->Audacity. No gain applied in Audacity.

Last edited:
Well, that was tough. Not sure if I voted for Four simply because my subconscious could not let a conical beat an elliptical! :rflmao:
Sounds like Three is riding right in the damage area.
Thanks for the fun post!

Well, that was tough. Not sure if I voted for Four simply because my subconscious could not let a conical beat an elliptical! :rflmao:
Sounds like Three is riding right in the damage area.
Thanks for the fun post!

Thanks for listening! I wonder if it would change your answer to know that these were randomized, so #1 isn't the 2.0 mil, #2 isn't the 1.0 mil, etc.

Hmmm, 1, 2, and 4 were all good, so I don't know if the fact that they were randomized would change my opinion. 1 actually seemed the most refined (smooth, baby, smooooth), but 4 seemed to have the most detail.
PM me what they actually are (if you don't want others knowing)?

In case there were any curious folks who didn't post:

Stylus 1: 1 mil conical
Stylus 2: 0.7 mil conical
Stylus 3: 2 mil conical
Stylus 4: 07. mil elliptical

Back
Top Bottom