Another sub in the house...

No, when I went over there he had no subs. I've only heard good things about REL's products, though.

I will say this...I don't think I could get my LF support system dialed in to the degree I have without taking measurements. I can get it about 85% of the way there by ear, but having that data in front of me so I can see what each little change does really makes it a lot easier to lock down.

I might naturally run into the room calculation thing at the end. I'm in no hurry.

You've gotta try a REL bro....

I'd sure like to give a few REL subs a go. :yes:

And just to be clear, when I said "take measurements" I meant measuring the room with a mic and appropriate room measurement software.

Yup...that's how I understood it.

My tax refund this year looks like a disaster despite my previous wishful expectations. Otherwise, I'd have dipped into tri-amping of horns which would have required such measurements....!

No, when I went over there he had no subs. I've only heard good things about REL's products, though.

I will say this...I don't think I could get my LF support system dialed in to the degree I have without taking measurements. I can get it about 85% of the way there by ear, but having that data in front of me so I can see what each little change does really makes it a lot easier to lock down.

I agree … without measuring its impossible to really get a handle on the low frequency energy in a room. It takes a lot of time, but I find that running and storing sweeps on each low frequency driver (or sub) at listening position alone and in combination is the only way to adjust everything out (time, energy and phase) to where it all works together to make a solid and homogeneous system with tight, articulate and powerful bass that makes a great foundation for music reproduction. My wife hates it when I spend hours running sweeps! Oh well ...

I might naturally run into the room calculation thing at the end. I'm in no hurry.

You've gotta try a REL bro....

I have been pondering what to do next. Speakers came up and I really like my Epos, they do pretty well at low end. Then I thought a sub might help them, so I have been window shopping.....I don't do HT so this would be 100% 2-channel for music listening and vinyl mainly.

How do you connect one? I have a NAD C356BEE int amp.

I have been pondering what to do next. Speakers came up and I really like my Epos, they do pretty well at low end. Then I thought a sub might help them, so I have been window shopping.....I don't do HT so this would be 100% 2-channel for music listening and vinyl mainly.

How do you connect one? I have a NAD C356BEE int amp.

An alternate method to what David mentioned is a simple y-cable from the pre-out on your NAD. One lead to the power amp, one to the sub - provided it has a line level input. This is what I do.

An alternate method to what David mentioned is a simple y-cable from the pre-out on your NAD. One lead to the power amp, one to the sub - provided it has a line level input. This is what I do.

Thanks guys! So a RCA Y-connector from NAD to sub. The two RCA (Y end) connected to the pre-out L/R of my NAD then the single RCA end to the sub Low Level Input? For example on the back of the REL sub, which I have been looking at.

711rel.bac.jpg

With this connection made does the NAD actually "see" the sub, meaning does it hamper the SQ at all? The REL is powered internally so the NAD is not sending any watts to the sub right only a line level signal.

I assume the the improvement in sound is fuller, beefier giving more presence to my music. I don't do bass heavy like rap/hip hop so no need to shake the house.

Thanks guys! So a RCA Y-connector from NAD to sub. The two RCA (Y end) connected to the pre-out L/R of my NAD then the single RCA end to the sub Low Level Input? For example on the back of the REL sub, which I have been looking at.

711rel.bac.jpg

With this connection made does the NAD actually "see" the sub, meaning does it hamper the SQ at all? The REL is powered internally so the NAD is not sending any watts to the sub right only a line level signal.

I assume the the improvement in sound is fuller, beefier giving more presence to my music. I don't do bass heavy like rap/hip hop so no need to shake the house.

I would not Y a stereo output to a mono that way.
If your amp does not have a dedicated sub/pre out, you can use high level speaker output to the subs high level speaker input.
If you want to use pre outs, connect left channel to LEF RCA jack and the right channel to the low level input.

Again, not too familiar with subs but I thought the High Level Input was only for HT connection from a AV receiver or amp....here is the back of my NAD

nad9.jpg

So I have Pre Out 1 and Pre Out 2 and Main In.....

"hip bone connected to the leg bone, leg bone connected to the ankle bone....." :banana:

Again, not too familiar with subs but I thought the High Level Input was only for HT connection from a AV receiver or amp....here is the back of my NAD

nad9.jpg

"hip bone connected to the leg bone, leg bone connected to the ankle bone....." :banana:

No the high level is speaker level for amps that dont have any pre outs and dedicated sub out.
The other thing you need to make sure is the pre-outs, are they controlled by the volume knob because you dont want to have your sub blasting at full volume all the time.

No the high level is speaker level for amps that dont have any pre outs and dedicated sub out.
The other thing you need to make sure is the pre-outs, are they controlled by the volume knob because you dont want to have your sub blasting at full volume all the time.

I don't think so, as I have used my Grant Fidelity TubeDAC11 as a preamp before and the NAD volume does not come into play, only the volume knob on the TubeDAC worked.

Thanks.....I will continue my window shopping, still not sure I want to go 2.1.

I don't think so, as I have used my Grant Fidelity TubeDAC11 as a preamp before and the NAD volume does not come into play, only the volume knob on the TubeDAC worked.

Thanks.....I will continue my window shopping, still not sure I want to go 2.1.

Well in that case you were using the power stage on the NAD which makes sense the volume does not work because it's on the preamp.
Find a sub with L and R input and you are good to go.

I would not Y a stereo output to a mono that way.
If your amp does not have a dedicated sub/pre out, you can use high level speaker output to the subs high level speaker input.
If you want to use pre outs, connect left channel to LEF RCA jack and the right channel to the low level input.

Not sure why you're making this recommendation unless I'm missing something.

The OP can come out of the main outputs from the preamp with y-splitter and send one signal to the main amp and the other to the LFE input of the subwoofer. I've been doing this for years with several different systems and have had zero issues.

nad9.jpg

You have two sets of main ouputs (pre out) on your NAD so you don't need a y-splitter. You can use either the right or left channel on the second set of outputs (with the main amp using the other set of outputs) and send that signal to the LFE input on the subwoofer. Any content below around 80Hz can't be localized, so even if the low frequency content in the music is mixed in stereo (and it almost always isn't) you won't be able to tell exactly where it's coming from, so L/R stereo imaging becomes a moot point. If you intend to cross over at a frequency much higher than around 80Hz stereo separation becomes more of a concern.

Not sure why you're making this recommendation unless I'm missing something.

The OP can come out of the main outputs from the preamp with y-splitter and send one signal to the main amp and the other to the LFE input of the subwoofer. I've been doing this for years with several different systems and have had zero issues.

If you sub have a stereo input then yes. If your sub only has a mono input, you cant Y pre stereo into mono that will damage the amp. also only hooking up one channel to the sub is not correct.

^^^
No one told him to sum a L and R channel into a single channel...we suggested he split either the R or L channel with a y-connector. Hooking up one channel to the sub is perfectly fine if the sub is being operated at less than around 80 Hz. Look up "low frequency localization" if you can't understand why.

You have two sets of main ouputs (pre out) on your NAD so you don't need a y-splitter. You can use either the right or left channel on the second set of outputs (with the main amp using the other set of outputs) and send that signal to the LFE input on the subwoofer. Any content below around 80Hz can't be localized, so even if the low frequency content in the music is mixed in stereo (and it almost always isn't) you won't be able to tell exactly where it's coming from, so L/R stereo imaging becomes a moot point. If you intend to cross over at a frequency much higher than around 80Hz stereo separation becomes more of a concern.

Ok that makes sense....It is what I thought originally. So I will buy a single RCA cable, connect one end to my Pre Out 1 (left or right), since Pre Out 2 is being used by the NAD amp, and the other end to the REL sub LFE input, set the crossover at 80Hz or below and call it a day.

My Epos spec 48Hz so around that is where I would dial in the crossover on the sub.

Now that I am comfortable the NAD can handle a sub connection nicely, I will continue my window shopping......

Thanks again guys!! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom