Another Super High End Phono Stage! No expense spared...

My beautiful old Technics SU v9 is acting up again, I think I will take it out of the main system and thus will need another amp. I want to partner my CNC to something modern. Anything out there that comes to mind for a couple of hundred bucks or is that just dreaming.

Edit, maybe I should move this to the solid state forum.

With that budget I would be looking used. There might be some kit built things you can put together but for any real power you would need heat sinking and that can consume a budget that tight pretty quick.

Shelly_D

My beautiful old Technics SU v9 is acting up again, I think I will take it out of the main system and thus will need another amp. I want to partner my CNC to something modern. Anything out there that comes to mind for a couple of hundred bucks or is that just dreaming.

Edit, maybe I should move this to the solid state forum.
Hit up craigslist or 'that auction site" for a modern Yamaha. I snagged a late model RX-777 (100 WPC receiver) for $50.

I recently purchased the new CNC and OPS PCB boards from Sachin888. Successfully built the CNC phono preamp + OPS hifi power supply. Please see the attached images.
- I used combination of K40Y PIO Russian cap + Vishay cap on the RIAA caps and K42Y for decoupling caps
- Op amp OPA2134

Impression and comments on sonic results
- Dead quiet. No background noise whatsoever, no humming even on max volume
- The phono sounds a bit harsh on the high end at the first minutes I listened. After letting it breaks in for a few days, boy....the sound starts to open up ALOT. Very airy, deep soundstage, tight bass, sweet mid range and high. The LPs I used to listen now have a lot more clarity and details. LP music tested on this CNC phono is jazz, acoustic vocals/instruments and classical symphony.

Further sonic modification plans:
- Try out LME49990
- Change out some boutique decoupling caps (1 uF) at the output to see how the sound alters/improves. Thinking to order Mundorf MCAP silver gold oil or Audyn True Copper Foil cap. Have anyone tried this ? any comments ?

Lastly, I want give a huge shout-out and many thanks to Sachin (Sachu888) for sending me the PCB boards and all the tremendous technical help/advices in building this phono and OPS supply. Can't do it without you! Also big thanks to Hypnotoad for the CNC design and Mishra OPS design. You guys rock!

Regards,
Tom
View attachment 805974 View attachment 805975 View attachment 805976
+1

Your link didn't work for me but Sachu is a really great guy to deal with, I would recommend getting it from him and maybe the power supply boards he does too. His advice and communication was first class when I built mine. The boards arrived very quickly from India to the UK and they are made with care. I hope the other offering is not a case of people profiteering on the back of his work.

Another issue with my phono stage. It works well for 5 minutes. One side starts to go static, then fades completely. Anyone have any idea what could cause this. Always on fresh batteries.

I believe I know what the problem was. I've been using rechargeables in the unit since it was built. After a few dozen plug/unplug cycles, possibly hundreds, the connections are not as tight as they should be. Today I broke down and bought a pair of generic 9 volt's. So far so good.

Sachin's (Sachu's) power supply is excellent. It is simple and I find no ripple on the scope.

I think for $19 you can get more than one board from Sachin. They arrive quickly, I bought a hand full and gave them to friends.
Yep, Grainger49 sure knows his onions...Every board I have obtained thru Sachin has been of exceptional manufacturing quality and as for Sachin's service-well the boards arrive here- up the top of Oztraya- before Sach' has actually posted the little beggars!!! Kidding aside....consistently high item & service quality; along with very reasonable postage rates ....makes for such a musically rewarding pastime.

Hi Guy's I have just acquired for a remarkable price a Dynavector XX1 cart, However as we know the CNC output is to low for MC. however I have two of these, 1 my first build is now spare, would it be possible to remove the RIAA & drop to input impedance to make it a MC step up? Cheers

Hi Guy's I have just acquired for a remarkable price a Dynavector XX1 cart, However as we know the CNC output is to low for MC. however I have two of these, 1 my first build is now spare, would it be possible to remove the RIAA & drop to input impedance to make it a MC step up? Cheers
I'm not sure about modifying the CNC, but I have been running the Leach common base LOMC head amp into the CNC for my Dynavector and it sounds really great. The board I made for the head amp is smaller than the CNC board, so it would likely fit in the same enclosure. You could either have a separate MC set of RCA inputs or just connect your existing RCA inputs to the head amp and connect the outputs to the input of your CNC. I have an extra board if you are interested. IMG_7446 2.JPG

You can modify the CNC by placing an appropriate resistor at the input (replacing the 47K load that is there now) and then adjust the feedback and ground resistors on the OpAmp gain circuits to provide the added gain you need. That does the entire job for you, no SUT, no head amp. Don't know the output of the Dynavector but once you know how much added gain you need it should be a simple matter to adjust the resistors. Unfortunately, I don't remember the circuit well enough to compute them for you and the old links to the schematic are broken.

Shelly_D

Shelly is right about adjusting the gain. What is too low is the gain, which accounts for the output. That is pretty true of all circuits. You can have a high power amplifier but if it has low gain you will have to adjust your preamp's volume higher. That gives you the impression it has lower power than it has.

What is the output of the Dynavector XX1?

Shelly is right about adjusting the gain. What is too low is the gain, which accounts for the output. That is pretty true of all circuits. You can have a high power amplifier but if it has low gain you will have to adjust your preamp's volume higher. That gives you the impression it has lower power than it has.

What is the output of the Dynavector XX1?
Looks like the output is 0.25 mV: http://www.dynavector.com/products/cart/e_xx1.html

Back
Top Bottom