Another SX-1250 saved from the scrap bin

Nice rolling worktable! 24 x 24 x 34? I just bought a ULINE 24x24x63 with casters for an HP 8150Dn 11x17 laserjet, and probable color laserjet.stack.
(for my OTHER sideline)

I am digging that work station also. I really like the use of the lower shelf for storing disassembled parts/components.

"The unit looks like it was sitting in a barn or garage for a very long time."

Wow - that unit looks like its been buried in the desert outside Vegas - sinful. You're doing an amazing job with the resto! Thank you for saving one of the finest.

My brother sent me this picture.... The case is looking really nice!

Now if I could just get the electronics finished.... Been out of town. :(

33196594012_c0c1e6d091_b.jpg

Wow, didn't think you could still find these in junk bins. Gives me hope that someday I might find my own. Very nice work so far. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

Wow, didn't think you could still find these in junk bins. Gives me hope that someday I might find my own. Very nice work so far. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

Some people just want the huge old things OUT!!!
When they can stick their tunes library in their pocket, some buds in their ears and be satisfied with the result.
(of course it's also fun to spoil them with a good vinyl track on a system that teaches them about SOUNDSTAGE)

unfortunately:
Like I'm going to do with an old 35" Toshiba CRT TV. OUT!!! And a 20" sony, and a 20" Phillips..
(and the Toshiba won, over the years I have fought a varying screen black level, and with all the work I have done on it, I never nailed it.
Some videophile somewhere might cry, but finding them and getting it to them, well..... )

Some people just want the huge old things OUT!!!
When they can stick their tunes library in their pocket, some buds in their ears and be satisfied with the result.
(of course it's also fun to spoil them with a good vinyl track on a system that teaches them about SOUNDSTAGE)

unfortunately:
Like I'm going to do with an old 35" Toshiba CRT TV. OUT!!! And a 20" sony, and a 20" Phillips..
(and the Toshiba won, over the years I have fought a varying screen black level, and with all the work I have done on it, I never nailed it.
Some videophile somewhere might cry, but finding them and getting it to them, well..... )

Good point Mark. It really is easier to just throw something big and bulky out rather then wait 2 years for the man who think's it's treasure to come and take it, I must admit I'm guilty of it myself. However the most I've found in a dumpster so far is a rusty nail and a tetanus shot... :rolleyes: I remember those big old CRT's when I was a kid, I still have the one me and my cousin grew up screwing up our eyes on playing video games, has wonderful colours but the picture is getting blurry even with the focus adjustment on the fly-back cranked. I think the picture tube is getting tired, after all, It was abused for a long time. Can't bring myself to throw it out though. Too much sentimental value.

Like Mark said some people just want it gone!
I had been watching a 32 inch Sony CRT ( in the bedroom) up until last year, just waiting for it to DIE damn it DIE! ;)
But it wouldn't.
Then one day the wife says why don't we get a flat screen and get rid of that old heavy CRT?
In my coolest voice I say, aahhh, sure why not.
My inner voice is jumping for joy, saying yes, yes, finally, finally!
That week, which as luck would have it, it was near Super bowl time and the flat screens were on sale we head to Costco! Yeah!

Long story short I put up a 65" flat screen in the bedroom wall (yeah it is a big room), and the
following week I dumped a working 32" CRT off at work, where they would send it off to the recyclers.

To bring the karma back around, I once snagged a Carver C-19 hybrid tube pre-amp off the thrift stores recycle bin!
Yes folks it was going to the crusher, and I saved it.
It was right on top of the bin too, and with nary a scratch on her!
I still have it in my to do stack, it will get a good cleaning and re-store/re-cap job soon. :)

Ohhh!
I am sorry, I just realized this was a bit of hi-jack of the OP thread.
That was the late night Whiskey talking. :)

Back on track.
I do like the woodwork on the case.
There are not many cases I would consider worthy of the effort to re-do the case on.
This is differently one of them.
The work looks first rate.

It takes a lot of experience working with veneer to get it looking as good as the one in the picture above. After 3 years I finally became comfortable with a formula which proved to last. One of the biggest headaches was dealing with the imperfections of the metal frames used as the chassis. The cabinets need to be somewhat flexible after completed to accommodate the imperfections. Trying to come up with a substrate that will bend but still hold the veneer for decades without it splitting or checking is an art form to say the least. It has to contend with all the environmental conditions like humidity and convection from the unit heating and cooling as it performs. You really have to give the Pioneer factory a lot of credit for building quality cabinets back in the day.

Time for an update...

After a bit of fun with the power supply the receiver is finally up and working great. I had inserted some of the replacement transistors incorrectly causing a bit of hair loss. I thought I had checked them all as I put them but.... A local AK'er helped sort it out by comparing it to a known good board.

Once the receiver was correctly powered up the amps were set then the tuner aligned. I am really amazed by the tuners on the Pioneers compared to the Marantz, much easier to align with really decent instructions.

The tuner would not mute and it was traced down to the reed relay asr-005. The part is not available so we substituted a small 24V relay using a bit of perf board and fine gauge wire. This worked OK but the relay was physically audible as it opened and closed. Once we had a reed relay we replaced it. Works great now. In the process we decided to draw a replacement board to make it easy to sub in the new part. I think we will have a lifetime supply if anyone needs one :) We got a few large boards made up and will slice them with the band saw.

I ran it for a couple days and everything seemed fine then the left side dropped out. The problem is somewhere in the preamp. I checked it again today and can't replicate the problem. So I will keep beating on it till I can track it down.

The powder coating of the top and heat sinks turned out great however it was really expensive. I don't think I would do it again.The wood work is fantastic, thanks to brother Bill.

I must say the SX-1250 sounds as good if not better than the SX-1980.

About to start the next project.. SX-3900 total basket case.

A few final pictures... And thanks to everyone that helped out.

33120237636_4eb930772c_b.jpg

32922414484_6b9c8347bc_b.jpg

32922415104_4425d0d228_b.jpg

32922415484_f86d1727b5_b.jpg

32952541173_bf54be9dce_b.jpg

33765625795_d13a1e308b_b.jpg

Looks great. On the psu board, some transistors are vulnerable to mechanical damage to foils.
I insert eyelets to reinforce the mount.
What is the part number of the reed relay you used, eventually I could use a few boards, I have been making my own out of prototyping boards.

I have a weird question: where do you get your wire frame shelving?
I recently was quite disappointed by the dimensional repeatability of my second purchase of 18 x 36 wire shelves from ULine.
the 24 x 24 I bought was tolerable but noticeable IF you look hard, but the 18 x 36 smacks you in the face with it.

My "other sideline" has been active for decades. It's political, thus verboten on AK. And I am working against an April 5 deadline this year.
Google igold illinois images. all those signs? me... BUT DO NOT DISCUSS etc....

Back
Top Bottom