Another Tube Phono Pre

63pontiacgp

"Tubes Smell Good"
Subscriber
Got this one today and have been playing with it for a couple hours Sheer Audio MM-88. 10 tubes. Nice build quality.

Mike

Attachments

• preamp (2).jpg
    preamp (2).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 308
I saw this unit on ebay but decided to play safe and get a parks budgie. What are your impressions of the Sheer?
Mike

I have a Budgie as well. I've only played with the Sheer for a couple hours. so far so good.

Mike

well, its 6AV6 tubes. Those 6 make up 3 12AX7's. TO guess at it, its got two wired as a gain stage, and one as a cathode follower per channel. 6AV6's are pretty cheap though, so its not a bad tube to use for this if you've got chassis space and power supply capacity.

What I don't fully get are the other set. 6X4 is the rectifier, so B+. 0A2 is a voltage regulator, and a 6AQ5 is a beam pentode. I'm guessing they are using the 0A2 as a reference voltage to drive the 6AQ5 in a voltage regulator configuration ? Whats the other one?

The description says 2 6AK5's, actually there's 1 6AK5 and 1 6AQ5.

Mike

Last edited:
How much gain? Suitable for both MM/MI and MC?
I read an interesting article today about phono stages describing MM/MI cartridges as voltage generators while MC cartridges are current generators. Therefore, gain alone isn't the best way to get the most out of your cartridge. Cartridges can resonate or "ring" during playback using the wrong phono pre.

I've got quite a few hours use on this now using a Dual 1229Q with a Shure M97xE and I can say it is a great pre. I'm not good with descriptive words such as open, airy, spacious, and the like. Simply, it sounds good. Plus it looks cool.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I have recently seen this tube phonostage on ebay and would like to know more about its performance. Firstly, since I've never heard the 6av6 sing before, are they warm sounding typical of other tube preamps? Secondly, do you hear any distortion at the low/extremely low frequencies? Lastly, is there significant rolling off at the higher frequencies?
I will greatly appreciate your additional feedback on this tube phonostage.
Thank you Mike!

Back
Top Bottom