Another Tubes & SS Biamp System

Legrace

About a year ago hooked up with a new girl, got nice tubes. :naughty: But there are things I like about my SS girl too. Why not enjoy both, ie biamping!

Speakers are Tannoy D700's. 2 x 10" driver, upper one is a dual concentric driver incorporating a tweeter at its center, something Tannoy are known for. Bottom taps are connected to VTA 125 tube monoblocks, and a Marantz PM11S1 handles the upper registers. Latter also serving as control amp.

As I prefer to run the monoblocks in triode mode biamping the high end with the SS amp helps address the issue of high end softness with tubes operating in triode mode. ie preserves upper end sparkle. Tucked in behind the left Tannoy is a 500w 12" sub. Using its 80 hz hipass filter to pass only 80 hz and above to the Tannoys. Triode mode slices power output in half to 60 w/monoblock, so need to be judicious with those watts!

Deck is a Rega w/AudioMods V tonearm. Feeding into a Sutherland Phd phono pre which is a battery based design, 16 x D cells. Very silent unit. IC's are Siltech 330i silver/au alloy for phono signal and Siltech 180i copper elsewhere.

Many enjoyable hours spent with this setup! Pics:

monoblocks.JPG rega_audiomods.JPG overall view.JPG PM11s1.JPG

I'm Bi-Amping My Klipsch KLF 30's with My Onkyo M506RS - LF ~ Heathkit W-5M - HF....................The Best of Both Worlds :)

I'll be getting Two Way w/K510's & Bi-Ampable Crossovers for My Klipsch Belles soooooon. ;)

@Legrace : Welcome to The Machine......Nice Gear :thumbsup:

Thanks for Sharing, Mike. :smoke:

Thanks. Learned pretty quickly about benefits of vintage gear - saving me a bundle. The Tannoys, Sutherland pre, and Marantz are all vintage purchases. Monoblocks I built from kits. Basically only thing I buy new anymore is phono cartridges. Too many scammers, how is just about every used MC you see for sale only has 100-200 hours on it? :no:

Update…exploration of alternate drive types is leading to newfound preference for DD type. The Rega above in original post is retired from service, replaced with three vintage models.

Flagship of new DD fleet is consisting of venerable Denon DP80 motor drive paired with 12” Reed 3P cocobolo arm. Cartridge is re-release Kiseki PurpleHeart NS cartridge, keeping with high end theme I choose for this one. This one is serving as default player for highest quality albums within collection.

Other two are Dual 721 with Dynavector 17D3, located to left of Denon in attached pic; and a Sony PSX4 located in upstairs office room. Both of these are restored from non-working condition. As I own well enough non pristine albums; consequently these also are enjoying regular usage.

My views around analog excellence are fundamentally altered by these stalwart examples of vintage technology. In that new is not necessarily better as I previously understand.

On side note included is pic of new album storage racking.
denon&dual.JPG dual 2.JPG album racking.JPG

Last edited:
I like the Dynavector on the dual as well as the rest of your system.The best my Dual 604 has ever sounded is when I put a good mc cart on it.

I like the Dynavector on the dual as well as the rest of your system.The best my Dual 604 has ever sounded is when I put a good mc cart on it.

Thanks. I acquire the Karat during time of former Rega, however, these two are proving a poor match. Despite much effort I cannot get them to cooperate. Then I try it on the Dual and delight ensues, it is flawless. Duals of this era are provided with excellent arms, as you can readily appreciate.

That's a fine system you've put together.

I've recently added an integrated amp to the bi-amping mix. It only drivers the woofers from 125hz down, but it adds a lot flexibility to my bass output, and seemed to clear up the mids and treble a tad.

That's a fine system you've put together.

I've recently added an integrated amp to the bi-amping mix. It only drivers the woofers from 125hz down, but it adds a lot flexibility to my bass output, and seemed to clear up the mids and treble a tad.

How are you configuring things such that the integrated covers only 125 hz and down?

Back
Top Bottom