Another Vintage Story

Glenz75

Sansui and Pioneer Freak
Hi Guys,

I enjoyed reading all your stories about the Hifi findings and how we seem to come across these things by share chance.. I'm sure fate has a large part to play in these situations sometimes..hehe

Heres my own story about saving an SX1280 from certain death and destruction and how its always uncanny when you ain't looking for it...It finds you!...

A few years ago the local dump allowed people to scavenge
there until the council got a bee in its bonnet and decided it was unsafe because of large machinery operating on site, so that put the end to my weekend pickings.
I used to go there heaps and get all sorts of things mainly TVS/VCRS, cheap nasty 3n1 audio centers with missing turntables and broken lids etc, nothing of real interest, the only thing I did find was a Pioneer SX-535 which had beer all through it, so I couldn't really do much with that. I was always hoping that one day I'd find something that would be an "awesome" find..

So then about 2 years later, I went there with just some general rubbish, not even thinking about scavenging or anything like that and as I'm backing my car to the dumping spot, a van with a trailor load of tree branches etc backs in beside me.. I think nothing and start unloading the car when I happen to glance over the trailor next to me and I see something buried in amongst it all...A bloody Pioneer SX1280!! I went over to the guys unloading the trailor and asked them could I take it and they were cool, so I took no time in getting it into the boot of my car! I asked them what was wrong and one of the guys said it had just stopped working one day and he took it too a local repair place and was told "Outputs Blown" Not worth repairing-Too Old!
When I got home I wasted no time in getting the SX1280 apart, traced the problem to being a shorted diode in the power supply causing a fuse to blow! And that was it, the thing powered up, relays clicked in and sound burst from it! Still going strong to this day although I've had to upgrade the caps on the PSU boards since then, but being a tech- not a big hassle..:) The unit is very tidy too, but needed a good clean/service when I got it.

So theres my story- Sorry to ramble on I just wanted to tell it how it happened...

Look forward to any more interesting stories you guys might have..hehe

Cheers Glen :)

Guys

They are all great stories. I especially like any story that ends with vintage gear for free :D

May the vintage gods bless us all.....

Dave

Back
Top Bottom