Another vote for old Sherwood tuners (receiver)

jredmond

I'm new here and in the midst of trying to get a reasonably cheaply acquired Sherwood s-7200 back to full functionality. I have read a number of passing comments here about the quality of tuners in this model (and others like it). The tuner is all that is reliably working at the moment and I am loving it, but as part of my figuring out what I thought was a phono preamp problem I routed vinyl from a Dual 510 through a NAD 1130 preamp to the Sherwood... and it sounded appreciably muffled and limited compared to the openness and clarity of the FM sound. Perhaps other variables intervened, but I am hoping the phono will be at least as nice as the tuner when it is back in gear. That is all.

I have a functioning S-7200 and can tell you first hand when hitting on al cylinders the sound is deep, rich and mellow all at the same time. I believe the issue you are facing is you can probably find one in good working condition cheaper than getting the one you have fixed. There will come a day when availability of good ones force the price to rise and then fixing them will be the smart option. Who can predict that? I know there are not tons of them advertised right now but the market changes like the Michigan weather. Good luck, I love mine.

I'm new here and in the midst of trying to get a reasonably cheaply acquired Sherwood s-7200 back to full functionality. I have read a number of passing comments here about the quality of tuners in this model (and others like it). The tuner is all that is reliably working at the moment and I am loving it, but as part of my figuring out what I thought was a phono preamp problem I routed vinyl from a Dual 510 through a NAD 1130 preamp to the Sherwood... and it sounded appreciably muffled and limited compared to the openness and clarity of the FM sound. Perhaps other variables intervened, but I am hoping the phono will be at least as nice as the tuner when it is back in gear. That is all.

Note to self. If preamp has a mono setting... make sure it is not engaged before posting!

Back
Top Bottom