Antennae musings

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by Masonavenut, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Masonavenut

Masonavenut New Member

Guys is there an indoor antennae that you recommend for some good tuner pick up?
    I just have wire hooked up now so there's noise, even on strong stations.

2. rrago

rrago AK Subscriber Subscriber

Any set of good-old rabbit ears. or, RCA makes an amplified model that works great in my office (metal can inside a concrete building)

3. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

the basic old T antenna works surprisingly decent too. I'm sitting here listening to a station 38 miles away with one and its fine. Its a 17.5kw, and radio locator shows me in the fringe reception area. I can't do clear stereo but mono is clean. I'm out in the workshop, which has aluminum foil faced insulation on the ceiling and walls. Nothing like sitting in a faraday cage to help the situation.

This is a circa 1970 Pioneer tuner, not a Fisher, but a properly sorted Fisher probably can match this unrestored set for performance. Official literature says 1.7 microvolts usable sensitivity.

4. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

Same here with the "T" antenna's for most of my stuff. I DO have a Winegard FM only antenna on a post 25' above ground, pointed toward my favorite station. With you being in LA, I would suggest the "T" antenna in the attic (if you have one), with a 300ohm twin lead run down to the unit. The higher you can get it the better. It should be oriented so it's perpendicular or close to it, to the direction of the transmitter. You may have some multi path interference, so adjustments might be needed. Tack it to a piece of 1/2" plywood and use that to orient it in the attic. If you can do an external, I recommend this one from Parts Express, (210-152 Winegard HD-6010 Omnidirectional FM / HD Radio Antenna 1 EA $32.95) and run a 75ohm cable down to the unit and put a 75ohm to 300ohm converter (balun) on it so you can install on the unit. Get the wife or Girlfriend (don't let them meet!) to watch the tuning eye while in Stereo on a fairly weak station while you are on the roof and rotate the anteanna until you get the eye to close as much as possible. You can do this in mono also.

5. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

An outdoor, high-ish gain directional is best, of course, but not always practical. Even with an indoor antenna -- as high as possible should always be a plus.

The nice thing about TV rabbit ears vs. a standard T-dipole is that the former can be "tuned" (length of the arms adjusted) for resonance with a given station (frequency).
    If (like us) one listens mostly to one station (89.5 MHz, in our case), one may custom-trim a T-antenna for that frequency, though :)

By and large -- I'd say avoid amplifier antennae; the amplifiers (at least the good old fashioned analog ones) cannot tell signal from noise and gladly amplify both.

That said, heh -- I do use an amplified antenna at my house, but really only because it works well enough, looks kind of cool & was a cheap antique radio swapmeet find.

:)

[​IMG]DSC_9169 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

6. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

agreed about skipping the amp. Any tuner worth half a hoot has an RF amp in the front end anyway, and it will usually be a tuned amplifier rather than the broadband one in the antenna.

7. Masonavenut

Masonavenut New Member

Thanks guys.

8. tuberadios69

tuberadios69 AK Subscriber Subscriber

FM Reflect dipole/T-antenna from CCrane. Much more substantial than a typical cheapie 300-ohm standard T-antenna. It terminates in a 75-ohm connector so you might need a 75-ohm to 300-ohm adaptor if your tuner only accepts 300-ohm connection. I have three around my house, for three tuners and I am pretty happy with their performance. I also have a "real" FM antenna mounted in the attic (hanging "bat" style from the rafters) which is, of course, even better. I just looked and the FM Reflect is on sale today at CCrane.com!