Anthony Bourdain Suicide...WTF!

He had an 11-year-old little girl so it's hard not to think of him as a selfish jerk, but then I can't imagine what kind of pain he was in.

When I see stories like this I wonder what it was like in that split second when you do it or don't. Is there nothing or no one that can pull you back from the edge?

When I was seeing a damn good therapist ( I miss you, Plynn) for stress and other assorted problems, he really got my attention one afternoon when he had these words. "You think you have stress wait until you put that gun in your mouth and it's fully loaded and cocked. Then maybe you'll feel stress."

When I see stories like this I wonder what it was like in that split second when you do it or don't. Is there nothing or no one that can pull you back from the edge?

It wasn't a split second decision like jumping off a bridge or pulling the trigger on a gun.
He hung himself ... We don't really know any more details yet.

... He was divorced, and his recent girlfriend seems to have broken off with him ...
Currently, there is no mention of any note left behind, and only one friend found him afterwards.

Suicide - there are interviews with survivors who jumped off the Golden Gate bridge -
One said "I instantly realized that everything in my life that I’d thought was unfixable was totally fixable—except for having just jumped.”

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2003/10/13/jumpers

Last edited:
When I was seeing a damn good therapist ( I miss you, Plynn) for stress and other assorted problems, he really got my attention one afternoon when he had these words. "You think you have stress wait until you put that gun in your mouth and it's fully loaded and cocked. Then maybe you'll feel stress."
Well... sure, and that is something anyone who did it that way... actually did it... felt that stress, the violence of it, and did it anyway.. so what ever stress led them there overcame the stress of the violence of the gun. With all respect, those words are for someone not serious about it in the first place, at least with that stressful method. There are 'non violent' ways of doing it besides the car in the garage and a bottle of gin... measured increasing levels of nitrogen produce death and the fist symptom is drowsiness followed by sleep... you simply go to sleep. For violent criminals sentenced to death, no cruel and unusual punishment as related to suffering.. like electrocution or complicated expensive drug concoctions... rape and torture victims, discovered and sentenced, and you're simply put to supervised sleep with nitrogen. Only news about Mr. Bourdain is that he hung himself... not morbidly curious but I wonder how he accomplished it. That poor designer lady, Kate Spade, who died by hanging.. it is reported she hung herself with a scarf from a doorknob... a scarf from a doorknob! I'm still trying to imagine that one... and she isn't the only one reported to have used that method, referring to the doorknob. Many people become upset about the subject but the forensic side of me can't help but wonder...

But to kill yourself over a woman? There are more women, and he of all people should have known that. He was married twice and found another. What’s to stop him from finding number 4?

But to kill yourself over a woman? There are more women, and he of all people should have known that. He was married twice and found another. What’s to stop him from finding number 4?

It is rarely a single thing. Yes, there may be one thing that push someone over the edge, but I think there is frequently a long line of things that lead up to that point.

Also, personally, I think losing a reason to stay is far more dangerous that finding a reason to go.

FWIW, Marc Maron did a podcast (WTF) with Bourdain back in 2011. He re-posted that episode this week in his current feed without a whisper of why or self-promotion....it just appeared. A class act move IMO.

As with most WTF podcasts, the interview is most compelling and somewhat telling of this recent event.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast :thumbsup:

Assuming that is the reason.... Agreed, especially that one.... the Harvey Weinstein stuff and all. Too bizarre in so many ways.

Back
Top Bottom