Antique Sound Lab AQ-1001 DT Integrated Tube Amp

Dave918

First let me say that I’m not a technical person when it comes to audio components, especially amplifiers and most especially tube amplifiers. Want a high-speed data network? I’m your guy. But I’m as lost as fart in a whirlwind on this stuff. I’m just a guy who loves good music that wants an audio system that reproduces music in a way that’s pleasing to my ears. So, keep in mind that this review is from a layman’s point of view. That said, let’s take a look at this feller.

First off the AQ-1001 DT is a KT-88 based tube integrated amplifier with selectable ultra linear (2x50wpc) and triode (2x25wpc) modes of operation (what did I say? and did I say correctly?). It’s a larger unit than I expected at 16.25” wide x 12” deep and weighs in at a respectable 50lbs. The chassis is made from heavy gauge aluminum and steel with a brushed finish. All transformers are enclosed in black finished metal covers.

The front panel has a very simple layout with a power switch, power indicator, level and input selector pots. The rear panel has inputs for CD, Tuner and AUX, a sub-woofer output and speaker connections for 8 and 4 ohm loads. The AC power connector is also located on the rear panel.

The top of the amp features a very neat and orderly layout. At front center is the tube bias meter with the bias adjustment tube selector pot (love that built-in bias adjustment) and ultra linear/triode switch. A row of 4 12AU7 input tubes follow, with the 4 KT-88 output tubes separated by a choke transformer (huh?) just behind. Located behind each KT-88 is a bias adjustment pot. The 2 output transformers and the single power transformer are located across the back of the top plate.

Overall this is a gorgeous amp with excellent build quality. Now, how does it sound?

The AQ-1001 has a very warm, inviting sound while providing incredible dynamics. Combined with the Reynaud Twin MKIII’s and Jolida JD100A CDP, the synergy is simply breathtaking. I spent a considerable amount of time evaluating the sound and performance of both operating modes and finally settled on Triode as my primary preference. It just simply provides a warmer, smoother sound and the efficiency of the Reynaud Twin MKIII’s easily minimizes the reduction in power. The soundstage is wide and deep as is the bass performance. Midrange is strong and upfront, and the high-end is quite simply the best – matches my tastes dead on.

The AQ-1001 DT is certainly a winner and has completely sold me on tubes. Am I giving up on solid-state? Nope, but I will be thinning out the herd a bit (I say that – then go and agree to buy a Cambridge A500 this morning. Damn this disease!). It’s hard to believe that this amp could sound any better than it does with the stock tubes, but I’m told that it certainly can. My plan is to continue to use the stock tubes for a while longer as I learn more about the technology – and then take a look at doing some tube rolling. It doesn’t get any better than this guys – at least not until the next piece of gear comes along.

My thanks to Brian over at Venus Hi-Fi for matching me up with this amp, and the complete system as well. Thanks Brian!

System:
Antique Sound Lab AQ1001 DT Integrated Tube Amp
Jolida JD 100A Tube CDP
Jean-Marie Reynaud Twin MKIII Loudspeakers

Cables:
Speaker: Monster XP Clear, tinned ends, un-terminated
Interconnects: Dayton Audio Analogue RCA, 1.5m
Power Cables: Stock

Note: Just recently added a Blue Circle BC86 MKIII Powerline Power Filter. Check out my review of this device http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11325

CD’s used for evaluation (all redbook):
Patti Austin “For Ella”
Diana Krall “Live In Paris”
Sara McLachlan “Mirrorball”
John Hiatt “Slow Turning”
Robben Ford “Robben Ford And The Blue Line”
Steely Dan “Aja”
Alison Krauss “Forget About It”
Elvis Costello “My Aim Is True”
Bob Dylan “Blonde on Blonde”

Links to other threads where this system has been discussed:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9823&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10875

Specifications:
Output Power: 50Wx 2 Ultra linear, 25Wx2 Triode

Frequency responsible at 1W: 15Hz - 23KHz
Distortion at 1W: < 0.1%

Distortion at full power: < 3%

Frequency responsible at full power: 23Hz - 24KHz

S/N Ratio / Noise level mV: 83db /1.8mV

S/N Ratio with A weighting: 95db (0.7mV)

Input impedance: 100K

Output Impedance: 8, 16 ohm

Input sensitivity: 400mV

Power request: 340W

Fuse: 5A Slow blow

Power cord - Detachable

Input Sockets: RCA Gold Plate

Output terminal: 5 Way Gold Plate Heavy duty

Tube Complement: KT88 x 4, 12AU7 x 4

Antique Sounds Labs
web address: http://www.divertech.com/antiquesl.html
Venus Hi-Fi: http://www.venushifi.com/

Check out the “Members Gallery” for photos.

Hello again, Dave!

As you know, the AQ1001 DT that you purchased was from the first batch of ASL's new-and-improved version of this integrated amp. And rest assured that as good as the previous incarnation sounded, the new one sounds even better! I'm quite impressed with the most recent version of this amp...

Cheers,
Brian

Yep, volume control only though. Never used it except to make sure it worked when I first bought the amp.

-Dave

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

I'll go ahead and leave you guys for a few, and try to remedy this size 12 I have lodged in my piehole.

Cheers,
Russ

LOL!!! :D Not to worry, Russ...

FYI, I gorged myself on Mexican food this evening, and am currently feeling a bit ... well, you know. So I think I'll pass on buttering your butt for the time being. ;)

I see you are already using the monkey tweak, what sonic improvements have you heard? ;)

Thor, the "Hear No Evil" chimp tweak works wonders. Nothing but pure warm sweet tube sound from this rig :p:

Much better than the pig tweeks I've tried ;)

-Dave

Originally posted by Dave918
Yep, volume control only though. Never used it except to make sure it worked when I first bought the amp.

-Dave

Great!! Their website advertises the model's just above and below it (1005 and 1003 ) as having a remote but not this one. Thanks for helping out.

BTW, is it a motorized volume knob? Can the knob be replaced easily by a larger knob?

The reason I am asking so many volume types of questions is that my ears are damaged and I can not listen to music much more than about 65dbs. So I need a low power amp where I can fine tune the volume, and be able to turn the volume down quickly (with out having to get out of my chair) durring the louder passages. I was considering the 1003 modelwith less power, but the 1001 can be switched to basically the same amount of power (29/30 watts). Having less power give mes more play in the volume's position before having it get too loud. And, having the ability to switch back over to more power (50 watts) gives me the assurance that it will be sufficient to power my medium efficient speakers (that is why in another thread I asked if changing the tubes could substantially increase the output power of an amp, such as the 1003).

Yes, It is a motorized volume control. The remote operates in kind of a stepped fashion - each time you press the up/down button, the volume control moves an incremental step up/down. I don't know if the current model works the same way or not, BrianB could answer that question.

Setscrews hold on the volume and input select knobs, so I guess they could be replaced with something else.

-Dave

Thatch, mine came with 4 Chinese KT-88's (unknown brand) and 4 Telsa (JJ) 12AU7's.

I initially swaped them out with SED "C" KT-88's and Electro-Harmonix 12AU7A's.

For the past month or so I have been trying to burn-in some Electro-Harmonix KT-88EH tubes, but I'm not really happy with them. I'll be swapping the SED's back in soon probably.

-Dave

Hi,

i have an ASL AQ1001, previous version. Can someone send me the manual?
I'd like to know how to adjust the Bias.

Thank you,

Back
Top Bottom