Any 8 Track Players out there?

I've got one of those high-dollar 8track am/fm player w/speakers that they used to send you when you joined the record club. Even got one 8track tape- Free's Greatest Hits! And yes, it still works... :D

I have several working Akai units and about 500 working tapes. 50+ Elvis, 50+ Johnny Cash, a bunch of punk and new wave, 50+ K-tel compilations, and lots of classic rock.

A properly aligned 8-track player will sound better than an average cassette deck. The Akai's and Wollensak's are good decks.

Yump. I got one. Cheap ($1) Morse Electrophonic standalone hooked to my main system. Seems to work OK and doesn't sound as bad as it probably should - guess the manual bias control helps. Got about 100 or so tapes to play on it, and the total cost of those tapes couldn't have been more than $2.

Yes, Pioneer player/recorder bought on EBay a couple of weeks ago. I have an old Realistic player/recorder too. I wanted a better quality 8-track recording capability. My '71 Buick Skylark convertible still has a Pioneer FM/8-track player installed.

Akai, Sony, and Toyo player/recorders and a Realistic quad player only. I've got between five and six hundred tapes with close to a hundred still sealed. Rock, blues, singer/songwriter.
John

Got me an Akai GXR-82D had it since 76. Still loving it. :thmbsp:

banana love for all...... :banana: :banana:

Back in the late seventies and early eighties, the company I worked for made 8-track raw decks for the Ford Motor Company to put in their automobile radios.

My partner and I were the line techs and became expert at all sorts of things with this format. Sometimes we would sit at the end of the line with our own test set-ups to identify particular problems with the decks.

I remember that shortly after we started there (both on the same day), they were having problems with flutter and the combined wisdom of the place was that it was the belts. Trouble was was that a lot of these decks were rejected time after time after the belts were replaced. They were all sitting in roll-around shelves and they didn't know what they were going to do with them.

We set up at the end of the line and analyzed each reject deck and were able to tell whether it was the belt, flywheel bearing, tape stripper, etc. that was the cause. A guy came down the line one day and grilled us about how we were so sure such and such caused the flutter. I guess we were kind of smart-assy with our answers (the key was the percentage of flutter and cyclic action) and when he walked back up to the office, one of the line gals said "Do you guys know who you were talking to?" We just thought he was maybe some production engineer. She said, "That was the plant manager" and we thought "Oh oh, there goes our jobs." Instead, after all of these shelves were cleared of reject decks (having been repaired and passed) within a week, we both got promoted.

Turned out that he was a no nonsense kind of guy and liked our gung-ho approach.

Anyway, when the company closed the plant here in 2001 and I lost my job, they let me keep a complete quadraphonic deck/radio that I had brought back from Toronto years earlier. I have yet to hook it up though.

I once had a 8-track set-up in my car with an amp, 8 inch woofers, etc. and a friend of mine couldn't believe it was 8-track. He said, "It's all there." Of course, I made my own tapes from test tapes we had that had gotten out of spec. The mechanism in these was very good, unlike the dreck of most commercial tapes. I still have all of these.

The key to the longevity of an 8-track is the tension on the tape. Too often, in commercial tapes, the tape pack tightens up and the tension gets too high and breakage occurs. You can fix this by undoing the splice, unwinding the tape a few turns, resplicing, and turning the pack until the slack is absorbed by the pack.

Doug

mines been in the garage for 15 or more years

wollensak 8055, used a concord dolby with it to make tapes for friends. they got used to the channel changes in mid song (no more irritating than a tic or pop on vinyl). with a good lube job and new belt, it would probably be fine.

i also used to have a roberts (akai) rtr with 8t in the side and built in amp/spks.

the good old days!

Here are some links you trackers may like to check out..

First is The Heaven.. Everything you ever wanted to know about 8 tracks and more.. Has a great tape repair section..

http://www.8trackheaven.com/index2.html

Next is an 8 track Google Group with a great members..

http://groups.google.com/group/8trackheaven

Last is my website if anyone is looking for some tapes..

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/bkville/

Guess I've been collecting for about eight years now.. With a nice collection of a little over 600 tapes and a few players, decks and portables.. Actually, it's quite fun and damn cheap music.. I'd say sound quality depends on the equipment played on and if your tapes don't have good pads it ain't gonna play for shit anyway..

Later, Brent

Thanks for the link Brent. I have some about 50 tapes and a Pioneer Centex and a Wollensak 8050. I hardly ever listen to them but I do have fun showing others.

Q-8

I collected about thirty Q-8 (quadraphonic 8-track) tapes and three quadraphonic players/recorders in the late eighties, but, I sold them all about the time I got married in 1990. The Q-8s were one of the easiest ways to get truly discrete four channel (quadraphonic) recordings. Really good stuff for very little money.

Be sure the check out Russ Forster and Dan Sutherland's prize winning movie So Wrong They're Right. Two thumbs up :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

I picked up a Realistic 8-track player/recorder with nice meters and Bakelite buttons about 10 years ago, as well as hundreds of 8-tracks. I have enjoyed it for some time, and must admit picking up 8-tracks for dirt cheap is nice- many for ten to twenty-five cents per cartridge. At some point I'll convert all my music to cd, and the cassettes and 8-tracks will go the way of the dodo for me. But I'll keep the records. Not that I hate the 8-track or cassette, I just prefer to have my music either digitally convenient or pressed onn a big black delicious platter.

But good to read the stories here. 8-track fellas are a rare breed- I'd argue more rare than the reel to reel fellas, no?

thedelihaus said:
I picked up a Realistic 8-track player/recorder with nice meters and Bakelite buttons about 10 years ago, as well as hundreds of 8-tracks. I have enjoyed it for some time, and must admit picking up 8-tracks for dirt cheap is nice- many for ten to twenty-five cents per cartridge. At some point I'll convert all my music to cd, and the cassettes and 8-tracks will go the way of the dodo for me. But I'll keep the records. Not that I hate the 8-track or cassette, I just prefer to have my music either digitally convenient or pressed onn a big black delicious platter.

But good to read the stories here. 8-track fellas are a rare breed- I'd argue more rare than the reel to reel fellas, no?

I was suprised to see this many replies to this thread,I found a NIB 8 track player on eBay from Sears, I am putting it in my pickup next to my cassette deck. The old stuff sounds better to me maybe because it is what I used back in the day! 1963 Rambler Classic with my 8 track Player in it, crusin the Ave to the drive ins.
Thank for the memories.
John.

Last edited:
Richard D said:
I think they used poor tape. After high school I worked at an FM top 40 radio station and almost all music and commercials were recorded on endless loop tape cartridges that are very similar to 8-tracks but the pinch roller is in the machine (like a 4 track) and we ran them at 7.5 ips and they hardly ever gave trouble, even at 7.5 ips while 8-tracks run at 3.75 ips. My 2 cents worth.
Richard.

The cartridge type design was originally intended for this use, with very short tapes. The fact that it was ever considered for automotive or home use is crazy.

There is a Sony TC-228 8-track recorder/player and a Toshiba 8-track player with a built-in amplifier at a thrift store nearby. I have no idea if they work or not and I didn't pay any attention to the prices but I am sure that they would be very cheap. Anybody want 'em? Let me know (but you will have to tell me.... why :dunno: ). Just kidding. If anyone really does want either or both just let me know.

blue_lateral said:
It looks the same as mine and yet... not. I havent had time to get a picture yet, but I will soon. I just dont remember that transformer. It probably is there. Mine has a huge motor, and it runs hot. there is ventilation for it in the top of the cabinet.

John
Actually, in mine there is a fan that is sitting next to the tranny, it is housed in a stacked plates that looks like another tranny. If yours is running hot check if you have a fan.

same amount of tape

Paul C said:
The cartridge type design was originally intended for this use, with very short tapes. The fact that it was ever considered for automotive or home use is crazy.
Actually, since the carts ran at twice the speed as 8-tracks you could get them wound with anywhere from 10 seconds of tape for jingles or station ID up to 10.5 minutes for long recordings. Since the pro models ran at 7.5 IPS and had clear top case halves you could see the spool of tape. Those long ones had almost no room from the spool to the tape guides. Oh yeah, being almost half track stereo did not hurt. There was a narrow third track that could be used to flash a light at the DJ that the song was ending and a different tone to stop the tape at the begining of the recording.

I finally have a working 8 track player. Its a realistic TR-882. Got it from Goodwill for $7.50. The belt was definitely toast, so I found just the right rubber band and it works fine. The wood case had two holes drilled in it, but epoxy and sanding went a long way. Then I stained it ebony and it looks awesome. All the lights work and so do all the functions. I have only like 8 cartridges right now but I'm very impressed with the sound. If anyone has any classic rock 8 tracks that they don't want, send em my way!
If I could only fix my Akai r2r/8 track deck, then I could just use that, but I don't know how, and the lights dont work and the program selector does nothing, The 8 track just plays the 3rd program. Anyone know what could be wrong?

Back
Top Bottom