Any advice for my newest hobby? Milsurp rifles?

VinylHanger

Navigaret ex ironia
I was wondering if anybody else here collects military surplus rifles. I just got a call from the local Big 5 sports store and my Russian Mosen-Nagant rifle is in, yippee 7.62 cal. bolt action and 60 plus years old. at 80 bucks, how could I not. Just wondering if anybody else is into this type of stuff.I think I am going to be in trouble, I am sending for my Curio and Relic Firearms license which means I can have these things sent directly to my house from anywhere in the world, and usually at a great discount. yippee!!!!
I also need advice as to how I can tell my wife " yes dear, I did find it at the Goodwill" ;)

My brother has two mausers from WWI or WW2, one is longer I think it was a sniper rifle cuz the end is threaded for a silencer of supressor.

I would love to have a good Mosan Nagant. Notice I said good one. I have a sportified 1891 Argentine 7.65 and a Carl Gustav which is a Swedish Mauser, probably from the 30s. The Swedish rifle used to be used in the winter olympics when they would carry a rifle in cross country and fire on targets part way throught the race. I think a lighter more modern rifle has been adopted but it says a lot for the small Mauser's accuracy. I know the German made for the Argentine Army is accurate, and you can reach out and knock the shit out of something 100 yards off, if you can aim at all. That is without a scope. 100 yards and it drops about an inch. I am scared the ChiCom 7.65 FMJ is a touch hot for the old thing so I don't go out and shoot 50 through it. It kicks so hard I doubt I would be able to take the punishment.
My pistol is a Chines varient of a Russian Tokerov which is a unauthorised copy of a semi auto Browning 9mm. Not very accurate with it, but with the extra clip in the holster I get 29 tries real quick.
I have a few bayonets and swords too. Not being real big I like my Japanese Cavalry Saber best for a one handed sword. The Civil War replica hand forged in India is too damned heavy for my weak arms. The real hand forged Katana which is 2 handed is the real deal and would definatly lop things off.
Don't be sticking any body parts into my windows, you might lose them!

Thor, a threaded end was for a flash suppressor. Doesn't mean it was for sniping one way or the other.

Hey Thatch

Don't mean to barge in fella's but guess what I might fire today?

A Carl Gustav 84mm A/T (anti-tank) weapon. I've fired 'em before and seeing as it's kinda cold today... I don't think I'll get out of the truck!

Last edited:
I have three in my collection.

I have a Mosin Nagant 7.62X54 that I occassionally take to the range. I found hunting cartridges for it (supposedly non-corrosive), but have never tried hunting with it. I can hit the paper with open sights at 100 yards though.

I also have an M1 Garand in 30.06.

And an SKS in 7.62X39. Never been shot. Still in box, covered in grease.

JD

Hey you can really have some fun toys with a C&R license!!
Be sure to post some pictures!
congrats.
Tal

Oops - sorry Vern. You asked for advice. It's the same regardless of my hobbies - Never Ask Permission. Only Ask for Forgiveness, and then only when absolutely necessary.

JD

The old bolt actions are nice rifles. Always try to inspect B4 you buy, & if you're real tight w/the seller, maybe run a few rounds thru it. I see scads of 'em at guns shows, ranging from pristine to ones you wouldn't want to take home. Myself, I like the later semi-autos, I have a couple Garands, an FN 1949, a 1955 Russian SKS, & several FALs. Passed up a Belgian FAL in Louisville KY, once because at $700 w/20 clips & 200 rounds it was "too high". What kind of hassle did you have to go thru to get yr C&R license ? -Sandy G.

lol the BIGGEST BADDEST THING I I ever fired was an 8 inch howitzer

On another note the 7.62 is a pretty flat shooting projectile. Isn't it equivalent to a 30.06?

My mind could be slipping, well ok it probably is but I believe--
AND COULD BE VERY WRONG that 7.62 is actually closer to .308.
Anyone?

Anyone?

Tal

Well the .308 and the 30.06 have a different cartridge but the bullet can be the same and the ballistics should be very close.

Yup the 7.62 is either a .308 or very damn close. Honestly I could never stand either. Always been an 06 man ;) 165 gr - 180's always did me just fine. The 110's were a blast to plink with.

The first gun my father ever passed down to me was a 1908 Argentine Mauser that he had converted to odd 6 he had it restocked with a gorgeous hunk of Cherry and topped with the standard ( of the time ) Redfield 3X9.

I treasured that gun and took many a game with it. Sadly some Low Life Scum of the earth stole it from my apartment in Arizona some year ago. I miss that ole girl much and really looked forward to passing her on to my son.

I looked into having one made just like my Dad did but the cost would be huge. One of these days I will do it regardless of cost. I want my son to know and respect firearms.

Grumpy

Yup it was a loaded question LOL BTW I was by trade a ballistics expert.
FYI Another flat shooting bullet that I love is the 25.06 it doesn't pack as much punch as an odd 6 but if you load em right you can drop an antelope from 600 yds!

wicked toys

I carried a variety of neat toys,my fav was the M-60 7.62 full auto pig.It was nice in a pinch but what a bitch to carry 19 lbs.Most nato rounds are close for u.s. cross over 7.62-308 m-14 and m-60 5.56-223 m-16.These have a fantastic cyclic rate of fire.I also spent time at Ft. Sill learned how to figure artillary fire missions.Spent time around a battery of 105's after a fire mission I felt like I had been beaten with a bat.Home defense shotgun is the best,wide dispersion and you won't kill the neighbor next door.I have a mint model 59 9mm 1 in chamber and 15 in the clip,heavy and well balanced.I grew up walking the Ohio farm lands hunting upland game.Weapons have the same beautybut carry a shit load of responds and respect.

I have a Chinese surplus SKS rifle. You could buy em dirt cheap as well as the ammo. We bought ammo by the case. Lots of after market parts are available to them too. Easy to mod the trigger group for full auto. Tons of bang bang fun on the cheap! :pistols:

I love guns, love to look at them and touch em' and clean them and take them apart and put them back together again. I don't really like firing them as much though, they are too loud, rifles and shotguns hurt my shoulder I am actually kinda skeered of them, I know I'm a big pussy ;) I wish guns in real life were like guns in the movies, not so loud etc.

The real reason I don't own tho any is cuz I don't want any firearms around since my GF and I get drunk some nights and can't remember what happened the next morning :confused: I don't want to wake up with some other girls lipstick on me and a bullet wound ;) Or wake up with the smoking gun in my hand :p:

Re: wicked toys

Originally posted by gonzo
I carried a variety of neat toys,my fav was the M-60 7.62 full auto pig.It was nice in a pinch but what a bitch to carry 19 lbs.Most nato rounds are close for u.s. cross over 7.62-308 m-14 and m-60 5.56-223 m-16.These have a fantastic cyclic rate of fire.I also spent time at Ft. Sill learned how to figure artillary fire missions.Spent time around a battery of 105's after a fire mission I felt like I had been beaten with a bat.Home defense shotgun is the best,wide dispersion and you won't kill the neighbor next door.I have a mint model 59 9mm 1 in chamber and 15 in the clip,heavy and well balanced.I grew up walking the Ohio farm lands hunting upland game.Weapons have the same beautybut carry a shit load of responds and respect.

I was an Arty Fire Operations Chief in Fire Direction Control, (FDC) and made 33 combat operations. We crossed trained on the guns as we were always short handed. I also served in the 8 Inch Battery, 2nd Field Artillery Group, Camp LeJeune N.C.

I manned the .50 caliber machine gun while on convoys. Only thing worse was being on the opposite end of the .50 cos when they fired em at you, you could hear the bullet coming and it seemed it took a life time for the damn bullets to pass you. LOL we could only fire at them with the .50 if they were in our wires or in a convoy because of the Geneva Convention but that didnt stop those little bastards from using the .50 on us.

Well I went down and picked it up tonight. Its an 1943 M91/30. All numbers matching, bolt, reciever and even the buttplate which for the first one is very cool. It came with a bunch of accessories one of which I think is the oil bottle, which I procceeded to get the cosmoline all over everything, yuck. Think vasoline but gooier.
I am playing hooky and going down tomorrow to put a sweet little M44 carbine on hold, and grabbing up a bunch of surplus ammo, and this weekend, I'll be putting some rounds down range. Which out here in the wild west, means I just walk out in the woods and shoot stuff:uzi: :uzi: :D
I'll post pics tomorrow, as my wife has usurped the big puter with the photo stuff on it. As for the C&R lisence, it seems to be a pretty simple deal. I would have saved the 9 dollar state weapon check fee if I had one, so 3 guns and you have paid for it, though the guns must be collectibles, which means a certain date range, I'm not sure of the date, but somewhere around the 50's if I'm not mistaken. But at an average of under 100 bucks each, it isn't hard to get a nice collection going.

And yes, I am sitting here fondling my gun........ which is for fun :D

Back
Top Bottom