any advice on calibrating a tuner?

Night Wolf

White Woofer Night Wolf
The tuner in my G-7700 is really messed up, and I remember a few people were talking about how do calitbrate it yourself. I mean, it is so bad, wher I couldn't make it any worse if I tried, it will only pick up 2 stations (out of the 25-30 that I can get on my other tuners and receivers with FM muting on) and even at that, the strength is really bad, 1 of the stations is will pick up is 101.5, and when I have it on 101.5, the signal meter goes up, but it tells me that I need to turn the knob to the left (by the digital tuning meter thing) so when I do that, it is now like 101.3, and although according to the reciver, the station is tuned in the best it could, it is just static

I have the service manual, and I was looking at the tuner circuit board, and saw the bias controls for the coil and other FM stuff.....any advice on what I can do to make this pick up anything?

BTW I was using my Terk FM+ antenna, which is what I used for all my FM, my Sony ST-3950 tuner would get about 25 stations, the Kenwood KR-8010 receiver would get about 30, and the Sansui get's 1, and on a good day, maybe 2

Thanks

The service manual should have a procedure for aligning that front end.... What does the book have to say about it?

Ken

yeah it does, but you have to have all the special gear to do it with

I was talking about just calibrating it going by picking up the most stations with best singal etc... without any of the gear........ becuase like I said, I can't make the tuner any worse even if I tried

no, seriously, it really can't get any worse then it is, I mean if it didn't work at all, it woudln't be any worse off then it is.....

.......can anyone help though, I remember someone said about tuing it to one end then adjusting the coil thing then tune to the other end and adjust something else etc....

Hi NW
I think you speak about this:

"Tweaking just the trim caps in the center of the dial will give you real nice reception in the center of the dial.
Sensitivity will decrease at the bottom and top of the dial.

If your going to wing it. Tweak the caps on a station around 106.
Then tweak the coils around 90. If dial calibration is on, don't touch the ones labled Osc.
This will just throw off the dial calibration and not affect the sensitivitity.
For dial calibration same thing, cap for the high end, coil for the low end.
All these are interactive, so you will have to go back and forth from high end to low end and tweak for the highest
signal or for dial calibration.

If your receiver has them labled that's great. Most are not labled so it's hard to tell which ones to adjust
and if you have no idea of Radio theory you will probably just make things worse.

Unless you have a sweep generator don't touch the IF. Tweaking it for a max will decrease the bandpass,
this may make it so narrow that you may not be able to receive in stereo."

Good luck

;) and tell us the result !!!

Dom.

Back
Top Bottom