Any AMMO handloading AKers?

hunter00

Its hunting season here in my area so whats better then listening to tunes and handloading yur own ammo??
Any of my audio peers here into handloading...

hunterammo.JPG

I've been thinking about it, but don't shoot enough yet for the ROI to kick in near-term.
My buddy shoots competition pistol and loads his own at a decent savings (now that he has gone through a LOT of ammo).

My son is learning to shoot; I should probably look into it more due to the price and limited availability of 22LR...

I handloaded for about 20 years, but haven't done much shooting since my two sons grew up and moved out. It's also gotten to the point that I exclusively bowhunt for deer anymore. I have a fantastic patch of about 200 acres of woods behind my house and a neighbor and I are the only ones who hunt there and it's bowhunting only.

fantastic Finnbow..I just recently broke out my loading press after being packed away for the last few yrs.Last time I loaded ammo for my main rifle was over 6 yrs ago and I realized I was down to just 1 box left so out the gear came.Had a real enjoyable morning yesterday listening to "The Dead' will I cooked up another 50 rounds of .300 weatherby ammo
200 acres would be fantastic to have nearby.I got my last 5x5 blacktail 20 minites from he house..

hunter

I've been thinking about it, but don't shoot enough yet for the ROI to kick in near-term.
My buddy shoots competition pistol and loads his own at a decent savings (now that he has gone through a LOT of ammo).

My son is learning to shoot; I should probably look into it more due to the price and limited availability of 22LR...
Well there you go,if you have a son and want to pass the sport along and he takes interest then might be a good idea to get a reloading kit together.Ive been handloading since the 80's and have 2 sons that love the hunting and shooting sport

hunter

man that's the motherload...we have a unofficial riflerange up in the mnts not far from my place I go to on a day off to collect brass as well.Many who shoot don't realize how valueable spent brass is to a handloader...hey Squirnest got any .300 weatherby or 223/7mm/375hh in that pile you want to get rid of..lol

hunter

fantastic Finnbow..I just recently broke out my loading press after being packed away for the last few yrs.Last time I loaded ammo for my main rifle was over 6 yrs ago and I realized I was down to just 1 box left so out the gear came.Had a real enjoyable morning yesterday listening to "The Dead' will I cooked up another 50 rounds of .300 weatherby ammo
200 acres would be fantastic to have nearby.I got my last 5x5 blacktail 20 minites from he house..

hunter

If you shoot a Weatherby, handloading is pretty much the only way to go. That's some very expensive ammo. It is indeed very nice having two treestands within a 5 minute stroll of my family room. I've become a fair weather hunter, often deciding to go hunting with only an hour of daylight left if the weather and wind direction are favorable.

I cast my own. Only way to get what you want.

I cast my own. Only way to get what you want.
totally agree.My handloads are deadly accurate out to 100/200/ and if the winds right can plant them on a pieplate @300 yrds.
heres a pic of my last Blacktail I harvested near our home.Nov 14 th kill ,he was in full rutt with 4 girlfriends when I delivered the handloaded sleeping pill

hunter

Attachments

• DSCF1703.JPG
    DSCF1703.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 17
I don't feel a gun shoots at it's optimum if you don't load for it. Finding the right powder type and grains, bullet weight for the barrel will get you stacking them in the same hole.

I have never done any reloading, but my neighbor is in his garage reloading 3-4 evenings a week. I mostly shoot rimfire and 223 due to cheaper cost. I think it would be an enjoyable thing to do.

Ive been using IMF 4350 and have experimented with numerous bullet weights and powder loads for many,many yrs.
Long ago I settled on 165 grain Nosler partition bullets with a medium load of imf 4350 @76 grains of powder/with magnum primer per round.These are a lighter bullet that are a very flat shooter out to 250-300 yds.They have never disappointed as far a mushrooming and retaining mass and weight with a fair number of bullets recovered from my kills

hunter

What I do is a little different. No hand loading necessary for big bore air guns. Just cast, size and shoot. :)

What I do is a little different. No hand loading necessary for big bore air guns. Just cast, size and shoot. :)
sounds interesting grumpy ...can you explain some more...caliber/bullet size/FPS/ accuracy and gun used...

hunter

Sure can. Right now I am playing with a couple of custom .30 calibers. One is based on a .308 barrel and throws 85 gr slug at about 975 fps. More then enough for med to larger critters inside of a 100 yards. I know many folks who hunt everything from Deer, Elk and Buffalo with big bore airguns.

This is the .308 that my friend build specifically for my handicap. Its an older pic and has had many changes made to it

picture.php

This is one that a local, to me shop made. Its a .308 that shot 130gr slugs at enormous speeds. It developed well over 330 fpe and was easily capable of .5" groups at 100 yards.
picture.php

This is one I made for benchrest plinking. Its a .25 cal pellet shooter that makes about 50fpe. Can drop small critters out to 80 yards like it aint nothing..

picture.php

Have quite a bit of brass in .223, 9mm, 45acp; some .44 mag, some .270 Win.

Haven't been able to justify reloading to myself though. Haven't been shooting much since the ammo crunch of year or two past even though most is pretty well available again.

Sure can. Right now I am playing with a couple of custom .30 calibers. One is based on a .308 barrel and throws 85 gr slug at about 975 fps. More then enough for med to larger critters inside of a 100 yards. I know many folks who hunt everything from Deer, Elk and Buffalo with big bore airguns.

This is the .308 that my friend build specifically for my handicap. Its an older pic and has had many changes made to it

picture.php

This is one that a local, to me shop made. Its a .308 that shot 130gr slugs at enormous speeds. It developed well over 330 fpe and was easily capable of .5" groups at 100 yards.
picture.php

This is one I made for benchrest plinking. Its a .25 cal pellet shooter that makes about 50fpe. Can drop small critters out to 80 yards like it aint nothing..

picture.php
Absolutely dig those guns! would love to have hands on experience and give them a try.Hows the "noise "factor with these?Id love to have one in a smaller say .223 /22 250caliber!

hunter

Back
Top Bottom